Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > SID streaming
2015-09-19 12:20
Sasq

SID streaming

I am experimenting with recording SID writes from Vice and replaying them as a stream, and so the question on how to compress the stream comes up.

The naive way is to record value (8bits), sid offset (5 bits) and cycle delta (~16bits). This can then be compressed in various ways.

But I am more interested in the assumptions you can make because of how the SID-chip works. With writes can you reorder for instance? Is there in fact a safe fixed order you can used for single speed songs?

Also is there writes you can skip which have no effect?

... 5 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2015-09-19 14:00
Sasq

But there are some registers that are almost never written, would be waste of space to store a delta for them every frame? But other than that, huffman or similar with just 1 bit for indicating zero delta would make it pretty effecient.

But for samples another approach is also needed I guess, where a few set of registers are updated very often?
2015-09-19 14:06
tlr

RLE of delta = 0 (or any constant delta) costs basically nothing per frame for that stream.

But, I'm interested in what your goal is? Is it being able to compress anything including cycle timing, like samples and stuff?
I assume you want it to play natively on the c64. Do you need it to fit in ram?

Like gpz says there is quite a compromise to be made between space vs. the amount of cycles needed to decompress the stream.
I went a little more towards the space side of things I guess.
2015-09-19 14:09
chatGPZ

its even pretty efficient with just RLE ... if the delta is 0, then effectively you only store how many frames it takes until a change happens - using simple RLE that gives you like 5 seconds for each byte that never changes.... you should worry more about how to efficiently pack the bytes that DO change :)
for samples i'd use something completely different, for that you'll have to come up with a decoder that is very fast in the first place.
2015-09-19 15:09
Mixer

There are so many playroutines that only way that works for every case is to save writes and the cycle delta inbetween.

Sid registers are written in sequence after all, not all at the same time.

Write order is an issue if there are several writes to same register within one play routine call. The packer needs to catch these. As discussed elsewhere, the ADSR write order depends on what the ADSR values were and will be after the call and what state change will take place. This includes GATE bit of control register. Therefore, i'd manage ADSR+GATE so that the write order stays. For other registers the order is not as important as proximity of the writes, so that the writes happen during same "call".

Volumesamples need the correct cycle delta between writes.

8-bit samplestuff and other methods need cycle exact handling of control register and other manipulated registers. For those both cycles and write order are important.
2015-09-19 15:17
Sasq

I plan to use it on a real C64 yes... possibly streaming from SD-card or over TCP/IP.
2015-09-19 15:33
tlr

If you get your data from some external high-speed source like those you mention, then go for very light compression or even just the raw writes. Stay off unaligned bit coding if you can.

The cycle delta does not need to be 16 bits. For long deltas you can just stack multiple dummy ones.
2015-09-19 16:26
chatGPZ

for streaming i'd just send a 16bit timer value plus register+value. not sure if i'd go through the trouble of trying to make it work with (any kind of) samples though - that seems kindof hard for the generic case. when streaming via net or even reading from sd card, i somehow doubt you can keep up with the timing requirements (with those modern sample player things almost all CPU is burned by the sample player already)
2015-09-19 17:14
Soren

Remember this order of storing in sid registers, for the following registers of each voice:

Sustain/Release, Attack/Decay, Wave.

Atleast to my knowledge that's the least buggy way of doing it.

Another thing, you could create a tune that has the same ADSR settings throughout the whole piece, so you only need to set those once... Or stable pulse (perhaps square)and do the same thing...
2015-09-20 08:01
ChristopherJam

Soren, it really depends on the sequence being programmed. If the original player assumes gate is written before ADSR then swapping to ADSR first could easily trigger the ADSR bug.

For example, if the player's done a hard reset by clearing gate then setting attack and release to zero for two frames, it's perfectly safe to set gate before setting an ADSR of (eg) $00d8, as the rate limit counter will switch to using the attack rate before the release rate is changed.

Set ADSR before gate, and the rate limit counter will be free to escape (it will be using the release rate in the time between setting SR and setting gate, and probably rise past eight). Bam, no note start for another frame and a half.
2015-09-20 08:35
Soren

ok :)
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Digger/Elysium
csabanw
Dr. Doom/RAD
TheRyk/MYD!
Mr. Spock/T'Pau
Guests online: 137