Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Creating angle/radius tables
2006-08-21 07:34
Shadow
Account closed

Creating angle/radius tables

Is there a size-optimized way of getting a angle and radius table? It's easy enough to just precalc like this (pseudocode):

for(int x=0;x<w;x++)
{
for(int y=0;y<h;y++)
{
radius[tab]=sqrt((x-w/2)*(x-w/2)+(y-h/2)*(y-h/2));
angle[tab]=atan2(y-h/2,x-w/2)/PI);
tab++;
}
}

But what if you don't want to have the whole table precalced due to size concerns? Can you save space with some smart mirrortricks, etc.?

... 13 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-08-22 09:39
Oswald

Quote: only teh lam0rxz rip!

Im a shit coder, but at least everything Ive written is mine alone.

hahaha, then every good coder is a lam0rxz :-)

I dont mean byte by byte ripping man, but you can get a general idea about the algorythm and tricks if u look at ones code, and most of the time you can find stuff to improve. Then you write ur own and better code from scratch. If u are an experienced coder there's not much things under the sun to steal, coz u know all the tricks anyway.

These days, (altho its happening now very rarely) I check the code to see what method was used, and how good was it done. Often its hard to say how fast this or that would be, but if you find a demo using a similar effect, then u might peek the code and get an idea of the code-onscreenspeed ratio.
2006-08-22 10:53
Jetboy

Tere is quite a difference between peeking at someones code, and reimplementing it your way, and just plain ripping.

There were no sources in the 80's/early 90's to learn from. All you had back then was C64 Refernece Guide. If you wanted to get some knowledge, the only way was peeking at someone else's code, or reinvent the wheel yourself.

There was much more learning in analyzing other's code in action replay's monitoe, than plain reading article on the internet and looking through clean sourcecode.

If one person was to invent everything we know now oneself, without external input, it would take that person couple tens of years, or more likely couple hundreds.

Articles explaining different theories were invention of the nineties. Earlier if you could find some codes in c64er or similar magazines there were mainly codes without too much proper explanations, beside, those were in german - so hardly readable to people who dont speak the language of Goethe.
2006-08-22 11:17
chatGPZ

Quote:
There was much more learning in analyzing other's code in action replay's monitoe, than plain reading article on the internet and looking through clean sourcecode.

word! and i would recommend everyone who wants to learn coding to sit down and study some simple stuff (like crack intros for example), modify them, rip them apart, try to understand what this or that is doing. everyone did it like that back then, and you certainly can learn a lot from it.
2006-08-22 13:59
Copyfault

I can understand Styles point of view: me didn't peek through others code either. When I was younger I also thought it would be lame to look at other people's code, but this idea has fainted away...

Nowadays I do not find enough time (or am too mf lazy) to _seriously_ look through other's code; guess this explains why I didn't release anything yet, though my head is full of "ideas". Hopefully someone (something) forces me to release something somewhen...
2006-08-22 14:33
Jetboy

still i wonder what HW means...
2006-08-22 14:39
enthusi

hardware as opposed to SW ;)
2006-08-22 17:49
Slammer

Shadow: You only need to store 1/8 of the table if you mirror the quadrant. In your quadrant table you only need to store values where y<=x since radius(x,y) = radius(y,x) and angle(x,y)= 90-angle(y,x). (NB. I move the centre of the coordinate system to make the formulas simpler)

Never looking at other people’s code strengthens your creativity, since you always have to come up with a solution yourself. However, when you have found a solution that suits your needs, you don’t go looking for something better. If you do look at other people’s code, you are forced to understand the programmers way of solving things and thereby see other ways of solving things that your own.

I have met programmers who can only solve problems if they have seen a solution for a similar problem in advance. However, if you newer look at other peoples code your might be doing very basic things in an unnecessary difficult way because you never stumbled upon the elegant solution yourself. So there are pros and cons of both approaches.
2006-08-22 18:31
tlr

Reusing knowledge/looking at other peoples solutions before not doing it the same way yourself is the mother of all invention IMO.

Who wants to start understanding how to make paper so they have something to write down their self thought up version of calculus for instance?

I find avoiding looking at other people's code, but still using other people's math a bit inconsistent.

Progress is iterative...
2006-08-22 19:26
Shadow
Account closed

Slammer : Thanks, there is that octant mirroring I was going on about. The only drawback is that get a somewhat more complex mirroring since you are not dealing with square blocks anymore.

To chime in on the looking-at-other-peoples-source-debate:
When I started in the eighties, it was just about the only way to find out how stuff was done (atleast for me a fourteen year old kid not smart enough to come up with the VIC-timing stuff by myself :)). It was considered a bit "lame" though as I recall it, but I think almost all coders did it.
2006-08-23 05:12
Style

Ur 411 t3h l4m3!!

1 2u1+ t3h 5c3N3!!!!!!

:)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Higgie/Kraze/Onslaught
Fred/Channel 4
Guests online: 84
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)