Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > C64 MIDI Project
2003-07-28 14:07
Fnord
Account closed

C64 MIDI Project

hello there - i am looking for someone who´d be interested in starting a C64 midi-project with me.

i have some great ideas, but i need someone, who is familiar with ptrogramming, changing, modifying C64 software.

if anyone is interested, i would be very glad - please write me a email, because i am not a frequent visitor of this site.

simonabsent_at_gmx.de

_at_ = @
2004-01-12 16:55
pixel23
Account closed

what kind of project?
if you want a professional midi-control-program use the midislave from triad.
it works perfect on my atari 1040st in notator and cubase
2004-02-12 09:21
Scout

I tried this program (Midislave) but it doesn't fit my needs; you can't control the filters in realtime and sometimes notes hang.
Not quite useable.

Now I've got a HardSid and I'm quite happy now :)

R.
2004-02-12 13:05
Frantic

If Midislave is not enough for your, you should have a look at M64. It's very configurable, to say the least, as you can actually build your sounds up from a simple programming language, rather than just set some settings. If you run it on a C128 you can even turn of the screen and run the program in 2mhz mode if that is something that you would like to do.

Flex it here:
ftp://ftp.scs-trc.net/pub/c64/Tools/Music/M64_and_manual.zip

ACID POWER!
2004-02-12 21:24
drake
Account closed

btw: or try to contact yogibear/protovision. maybe he knows something more aobut it as he is a good musician and a person who convert songs from format to another format.

anyway, i'm interested in someone who can share some old classic c64 songs converted into midi. i mean, i would like to hear those songs on my phone ;-)
2004-02-12 21:45
Scout

Quote: btw: or try to contact yogibear/protovision. maybe he knows something more aobut it as he is a good musician and a person who convert songs from format to another format.

anyway, i'm interested in someone who can share some old classic c64 songs converted into midi. i mean, i would like to hear those songs on my phone ;-)

Thanx for the tip, mate.
But we're not talking about converting C=64 tunes into silly Midi files but using the C=64's SID as a real synthesizer using Midi.
That's another ballgame...

At the moment I'm the proud owner of an Elektron Monomachine (not to be confused with the Elektron Sidstation) which has SID waveform emulation.
So M64 and Midislave are a bit obsolete now because professional musical gear with (emulated) SID's implemented are available on the commercial market at the mo' and fully capable of using the SID to it's max.

R.
2004-02-13 20:51
Pater Pi
Account closed

Like what for example? The one you own only got some sort of decent emulation (and is damn expensive), the quadrosid (mot the card, there is some softwaresynth for cubase that had a similar name) doesn't really sound that great and the electron sidstation -a nice synthesizer for sure (and a damn expensive one too) can't do everything a c64 would be able to do when used as a musicinstrument i guess (like multispeed for example).
2004-02-13 22:08
Scout

Quote: Like what for example? The one you own only got some sort of decent emulation (and is damn expensive), the quadrosid (mot the card, there is some softwaresynth for cubase that had a similar name) doesn't really sound that great and the electron sidstation -a nice synthesizer for sure (and a damn expensive one too) can't do everything a c64 would be able to do when used as a musicinstrument i guess (like multispeed for example).

If you want to make multispeed patches, use a Hardsid.
You can increase the clockspeed on this card, esspecially for the creation of x-speed patches.

Where I aiming at, is that M64 & Midislave (unlike hardware SID solutions as the HardSiD and SIDStation) are programs you can't use in a serious studio-environment.
For instance (what I wrote earlier in this thread) some bugs like notes hanging, high latency and the lack of MIDI implementation (ie. controlling filters and other parameters using CC and stuff) are things you really don't want to have or miss during a recording/live session.

On the other hand, the C=64 still amazes me.
So if some coder comes up with a great MIDI program for the SID on the C=64, I really want to test it because it seems that nothing is impossible on the commie ;)

R.
2004-02-14 05:17
drake
Account closed

hmmm. i see i had to be born earlier to know something more about this older stuff and hardware ;-)
i know there are some other guys (1 is a dj) and he use his commodore to leech the sounds from it and then he plays it on a keyboard. kinda funny.
2004-02-14 21:27
Fnord
Account closed

and there we are!!!

what SCout wrote - this is exactly why i started this thread! - i am looking for someone, who is capable of writing such a program...

i have quite a few C64 music programs and there is one which would fit my needs perfectly! it controlls the SID with digital sliders (looks a bit like a softsynth actually) but the problem is, that it had no midi implementation at all! so if there is anyone out there, who can redo the program to beeing able to interpret simple midi messages like note-on note-off - PERFECT!

my aim is to use a real C64 in my studio. all the hardsids and sidstations etc. on this planet may be better in terms of latency and noise - BUT - i want a real commodore, because it is the trip i am after on which an original C64
can send me. what do you think why so many people out there still keep their C64 running? certainly not because there are no better alternatives on the market?!?

it is all about the trip and the fanatics - not about pros and contras - not only music wise...

fnord
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Acidchild/Padua
zscs
FABS/HF
Arcane/Glance
Mr. Spock/T'Pau
Max/Flat3