Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Relaunch64 Help
2009-01-26 18:53
FillmoreC
Account closed

Relaunch64 Help

Can anyone explain how to make the compile window stay open. If I have an error in my code, I don't know what line it is because the compile windows closes to fast.

I'm using 64tass with it.

... 3 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-01-30 19:03
FillmoreC
Account closed

@ Marauder: Yes I have and someone mentioned having the same problem. I looks like someone gave a solution, but it didn't work. So I still have the same problem.

@ Testa: That what I do when I'm not using Relaunch64. BUT someone introduced me to relaunch64 which is suppose to compile your source right from the relaunch64 text editor. It does this, but if you have an error, the dosbox opens and closes before you can see the error.

If I was to switch to compiling in a dosbox when I have an error, it would (almost) defeat my purpose of using reluanch64. Altough your idea, to date, is the best one I've seen and I might considering doing it if there is no other way around it.

@ Rambones. I don't use achme (how is that btw.) I'm using 64tass now. How do you keep your dosbox open with achme. I think in the other thread it mentions something like -v as an option. I don't think 64tass (or tass, the compiler I started with) have this option.

2009-01-30 21:19
Marauder/GSS
Account closed

the only way I got it working with 64Tass is:

create a batch-file, f.e. 64tass.bat with following:

@echo off
64tass.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9 2>c64error.txt
if %errorlevel% == 1 echo errors occured!>>c64error.txt

and then select the batch-file in the compiler settings for compiler instead of the 64tass.exe and use following parameters:

INPUT -o OUTPUT

the batch-file can use up to 9 parameters, in case you need some more parameters for 64tass.

I had 64tass.exe in same directory as the .bat, both were in the relaunch-directory!!

You could also try in another directory, and if you encounter problems you may need full qualified paths... Not sure if the 64error.txt must be created in same dir as relaunch. I haven't tested this.

I couldn't redirect all output from 64Tass, as it seems relaunch scans for the word 'error' which is also in the output when 64tass compiles fine (error messages: 0 or similar), and so the emulator would never start because it shows the error-window.
That's why I've redirected only the errors and write the text "errors occured" into the c64error.txt file when there are any.

give it a try, maybe it helps?!
2009-01-31 02:09
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Quote: @ Marauder: Yes I have and someone mentioned having the same problem. I looks like someone gave a solution, but it didn't work. So I still have the same problem.

@ Testa: That what I do when I'm not using Relaunch64. BUT someone introduced me to relaunch64 which is suppose to compile your source right from the relaunch64 text editor. It does this, but if you have an error, the dosbox opens and closes before you can see the error.

If I was to switch to compiling in a dosbox when I have an error, it would (almost) defeat my purpose of using reluanch64. Altough your idea, to date, is the best one I've seen and I might considering doing it if there is no other way around it.

@ Rambones. I don't use achme (how is that btw.) I'm using 64tass now. How do you keep your dosbox open with achme. I think in the other thread it mentions something like -v as an option. I don't think 64tass (or tass, the compiler I started with) have this option.

Relaunch assembles, a dos window appears, then closes, and if error, the error log window pops up, so you can click the errors and go to that line.

The assembler is set up and called like this:
ACME
no parameters at all..

I noticed at jeffs place, that his dos window does not close, so he has to close it before it loads the prg into vice.

This does not happen here, it just loads immediately.

So all i can say is, update your windows XP!
2009-01-31 02:10
SIDWAVE
Account closed

to Marauder:

ACME is like turbo assembler, and has macros and defination stuff.

64tass is a bit weird to use IMO.
2009-01-31 02:12
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Oh 1 more post:

so what happens is that the assembler is called from dos, and the output it makes, ends up in the error log, if there are any errors.

Thats how its supposed to work anyway.

The error log is a window inside relaunch.
2009-01-31 10:23
Marauder/GSS
Account closed

Quote: to Marauder:

ACME is like turbo assembler, and has macros and defination stuff.

64tass is a bit weird to use IMO.

Rambones, I'm software developer juggling bits & bytes every day at work, so I know what ACME, 64tass, Kickass etc. is! (c; btw, I use ACME for some stuff...

The problem here I have (and I guess Knoeki and FillmoreC) is that the Relaunch calls the compiler in DOS-box, but the output of the DOS-box doesn't get properly redirected to the c64error.txt file, where Relaunch reads the lines from and shows them in it's own error-log window then. So if it doesn't find that file, only DOS-box for compiling shows quickly up and closes immediatly and *no* error-log window appear.

Using the batch-files I've posted in the threads about Relaunch and 64tass/ACME it works fine for me. The error-Log window appears only when there are errors, if not emulator starts directly with the compiled program.
I guess it has to do with different output channels on the console, like STDOUT and STDERR... I don't know, Relaunch is a bit strange sometimes and no, my XP is working fine... (c;
2009-01-31 11:13
SIDWAVE
Account closed

i think the problem is that acme writes the error log in one dir, and relaunch reads it from another..

Set relaunch to "run from this dir",
and put acme in a subfolder in /relaunch/

i have
/relaunch/
/relaunch/acme
/relaunch/source

this works
2009-01-31 11:17
Devia

If you're already coding other stuff, that sort of indicates that you're already using different editors? Then I don't get why you're messing around with Relaunch64.. there are many far more superior editors which can do the exact same stuff and more!?
Relaunch64 is great for those not into PC code editors or coding other stuff in general, but it is pretty limited, imho.

I didn't bother reading that other thread too carefully, so excuse me if it's already stated there. I noticed some small compile helper scripts redirecting output to c64errors.txt file.. Just to make it clear for those NOT into the DOS/NT CMD:

>file.txt will redirect STDOUT to file.txt, overwriting anything in that file
>>file.txt will redirect STDOUT to file.txt, appending the output to the file.
1>file.txt is the same as >file.txt and 1>>file.txt is the same as 1>>file.txt
Replacing that '1' in 1>file.txt with a '2' will then redirect the STDERR stream. E.g. 2>file.txt will redirect STDERR to file.txt.
So to redirect both STDOUT and STDERR to the same file one could do: blah.exe someparam 1>out.txt 2>out.txt
Or you could redirect one stream to the other like: blah.exe someparam 1>out.txt 2>&1
- which gives the same result.

2009-01-31 11:21
SIDWAVE
Account closed

I just like to use relaunch, i only set up to use acme, and then all works.

I know, Ultraedit has far more features, but i just dont need them.

Im a hard coder :)
2009-01-31 11:42
Marauder/GSS
Account closed

Quote:
I just like to use relaunch, i only set up to use acme, and then all works.

well, you're lucky... it doesn't work for me for some reasons here, hehe (c;

If I just only set up to use ACME, and compile a source which has errors, then it shows up the error-log window - fine. BUT when I correct the errors, save source and compile again it showed me same errors again, as the c64error.txt file still had them in, looked like relaunch didn't replace/redirect properly then when no errors occured. With my batch-files it works fine all the time...

[edit] just tested with your directory structure and only ACME, didn't work for me either and I didn't even get a error-log window... well, strange *gg*

@devia: ofcourse I know other editors etc. I'm just here trying to help the threadstartes like Knoeki/FillmoreC which have problems with Relaunch and which I can reproduce... and thanx for explaining the redirects to those who are not familar with DOS/NT CMD, I know them and my batch-files do exactly that...redirecting so it works, at least for me... (c;

and btw, Relaunch/ACME is fine for me when doing some quick stuff for c64...
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
buzz_clik
Guests online: 117
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)