Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > 3D projection on the C=64 (or...how do I divide?)
2004-02-13 08:51
Scout

3D projection on the C=64 (or...how do I divide?)

Hi!

After 12 years I picked up coding again on the C=64.
What I want to make is a simple 3D starfield.
I know something about 3D programming, so that's no issue.

The only thing I stumbled on is how to implement 3D projection (X1=X/Z) and especially the dividing part of it.
How can I implement this on the C=64?

Any hints, tips?

Thanx!

R.
(Asm on the PC is so much easier ;-)
2004-02-13 09:53
Perff
Administrator

One of the methods I have used the most when dividing (and multiplying) in assembler is using logarithm.
I use the fact that:
x/y = e^(log x - log y)

You have one table containing values of log(x), and another table of e^x

When you want to divide the content of the X-reg with the Y-reg you do:
sec
lda logtable,x
sbc logtable,y
tax
lda exptable,x

That's it! :)
(You must of course take care of overflows etc.)

One downside using this is that the result is not 100% accurate, but it's fast and you can also use it for multiplying. (do an add instead of sbc)
2004-02-13 10:12
Scout

Hey!

Now that's what I call a great solution!

Cheers!

R.
2004-02-13 10:36
Oswald

if you have enough memory you can also have everything precalculated :) but there is no better way to divide on c64 thats sure.. :)

2004-02-13 10:54
CreaMD

Cool stuff.

Roman
2004-02-13 11:36
Krill

the lacking accuracy of this approach is not to be ignored with 3d code. i might add that the best accuracy with this algorithm can be achieved by using the binary logarithm, but i guess you've already taken that one.
for more accuracy, the best thing is a plain binary division routine that calculates one bit of the result per loop pass, being as exact as you want it to be.
if you never coded such a thing, wait for some future issue of one of the disk mags where there are further chapters of my tutorial on maths in assembler published. i don't want to get into further detail here but i can send you sample routines or the chapter of that tutorial in german language, as i did not translate it to english yet.
2004-02-13 13:35
Scout

Quote: the lacking accuracy of this approach is not to be ignored with 3d code. i might add that the best accuracy with this algorithm can be achieved by using the binary logarithm, but i guess you've already taken that one.
for more accuracy, the best thing is a plain binary division routine that calculates one bit of the result per loop pass, being as exact as you want it to be.
if you never coded such a thing, wait for some future issue of one of the disk mags where there are further chapters of my tutorial on maths in assembler published. i don't want to get into further detail here but i can send you sample routines or the chapter of that tutorial in german language, as i did not translate it to english yet.

Hi

I appreciate if you could send those routines/info.
It's no problem if the text is in German coz I can read it a bit (I'm dutch).

Thanx.

R.

2004-02-13 14:58
Cruzer

I have always precalculated everything => no need for division and other nasty realtime stuff :)

But if I'm going to make something in realtime one day, Perffs algorithm seems pretty smart... But if it's inaccurate how about this:

x/y = x*(1/y)

Then you just need a table of 1/x and to do a multiply. The latter can be done with this algorithm...

Let f(x) = x^2 / 4.

Then a*b = f(a+b) - f(a-b)

So with a table of squares/4 and 1/x you should be able to divide using adc and sbc.
2004-05-12 09:02
Nightlord

cruzer:

i have thought of division using your approach but i ran into a problem that 1/x table starts to get inacurate for large x values. besides the f(a+b) and f(a-b) also becomes troublesome. since now typical a values are decimals and typical b values are fixed point reals between 0 and 1

i have the feeling that this should be fixable by playing with the tables but couldn't figure out how? so how do you handle these issues.

thanx in advance
2004-05-12 09:28
Cruzer

Nightlord: Do you need to divide by large numbers when doing 3d projections?

Any division routine on c64 is bound to be inaccurate or slow, so I guess you'll have to live with some inaccuracy. Then the trick is to make it just accurate enough to suit your particular need.

But as I said, I always precalculate everything, so I haven't got any experience with implementing a division routine myself.

And btw, I think Perff's routine looks smarter than mine.
2004-05-13 02:47
SIDWAVE
Account closed

If you only want to make a 3D starfield end nothing else, just do like the game DELTA.

set a sprite and give it a different X position every rasterline.

The sprite is just made of a single vertical line in 1 color.

Do different sinus tables for each sprite, and it will look quite real to you.

... 25 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Durandal
Airwolf/F4CG
hedning/G★P
jmin
PARALAX/Zenzsoft / P..
Guests online: 107