Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user juanjosescg ! (Registered 2024-04-16) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > Also looking for a talented SID composer for a cartridge project
2014-01-17 12:58
crock
Account closed

Also looking for a talented SID composer for a cartridge project

Hello all,

Sorry to make such a similar request immediately following Arkaxow’s, but I was so heartened to read the positive replies to his thread that I think there’s enough talented individuals to help us both out.

I’m also looking for a SID composition, only mine is to incorporate into a cartridge based hardware project which will hopefully be of interest to a niche group of Commodore 8-bit users. We’re almost dev complete for hardware and software and we’re now at the ‘polishing’ stage and this is where I need some help, as I’ve never done anything but trivial SID programming and have no discernible musical talent.

I am looking for a SID tune we can incorporate over a splash screen and menu system but there is some limitations in that it has to run from ROM (so no self-modifying code), can use address range from $8000-$9FFF and $E000-$FFFF, so a theoretical maximum of 16k. The only RAM available will be a handful of ZP locations, kernel routines are unavailable and use of CIA timers very restricted, so ideally running from a raster interrupt, so has to be both 50 and 60hz friendly. Having never done any SID composing, maybe these are non-issues for you guys?

The theme is very specific, and a perfect composition would be based on remixing some existing SID tunes. I’ll gladly give as much information as required on application to anyone who might be interested. Timeframe would need to be within about 6 weeks as we’re hoping to launch at an event at the beginning of April.

No one’s going to get rich from it so it’s purely for kudos and incidental expense. If you might be interested in helping out, PM me or reply here and I’ll give you the background and as much detail as you need.

Cheers, Rob
2014-01-18 21:05
SIDWAVE
Account closed

good idea to post what sid tunes to remix, now. many composers cant remix: so post now, so the composers who will be able to do it, can contact you. else it dotn work out.

i can cover,/mix, but depends what tunes you need, so tell us now. gives you better chance to get composer who can/will help/do.
2014-01-18 23:45
crock
Account closed

Thank you SIDwave, I take your point - good advice.

Ideally I'd like a SID that is a pimped up version of the tune from Radar Rat Race. If it includes elements from some of the other very early Commodore cartridges then even better.

Here's the background...

As many people know, the 64 was not the first released machine that the SID appeared in, it was the MAX Machine that was released in Japan in 1982.

The 'ultimax' mode on a C64 that most freezer cartridges used are a legacy of this machine as Commodore wanted to leverage the cartridges they had already developed for the MAX for the release of the 64.

The project that we've nearly completed is a multi-game cartridge for MAX machine owners that brings together all the versions of all the ultimax mode games that are known (about 35 versions of 25 different cartridges) which will also work on a 64, 128 etc.

Most of those very early C= games had very limited sound. The best music from any of them was probably from the slalom cartridge which saw very limited release outside of Japan.

http://www.se2a1.net/soasc/dl.php?d=soasc/soasc_mp3%2FGAMES%2FS..

But the tune that sticks in the head of many very early 64 owners is the one based on '3 blind mice' which appears in Radar Rat Race, one of the MAX compatible cartridges which also saw wide release in the West. My perfect solution would be based on this.

http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/media/Oakvalley/soasc/soasc_mp3/GA..

I someone were willing to have a crack at this it would really make our day, as well as getting a free copy of the production cartridge of course!

cheers, Rob
2014-01-19 03:27
Yogibear

If you need help from me send me a PM.
I've made more than 60 SID tunes over the years.
2014-01-19 03:46
SIDWAVE
Account closed

this is song 3 in the sid file ? its the only tune.
this can become techno or dance and stomp stomp seems very pimped..

if yogibear wants its his work :)

good that you described it well.
i can do but i have no time now, because party and own sidtune and life is pressing me into a corner :)
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Airwolf/F4CG
hedning/G★P
DJ Space
juanjosescg
Guests online: 219
Top Demos