Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user megasoftargentina ! (Registered 2024-04-16) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > Help: SID Filters
2011-06-08 04:54
SparkyNZ
Account closed

Help: SID Filters

Hi, I'm not very familiar with the use of the SID filters. In particular, it would appear to me from the C64 Ref Guide that you can only assign filters to one channel only?? Or would that be all channels only??

I'm sure I've heard tunes where the filter is doing its job on one channel only (ie. Reyn Ouwehand's work). Where's the best place to find out how to use the filters on the C64?

Cheers
Sparky

... 12 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2011-06-10 21:31
SparkyNZ
Account closed

I'm itching to get back to working on my editor. That was the fun part. Right now I'm still trying to get the player playing sequences of notes exactly like GoatTracker does. I'm nearly there - I ran some notes through it lastnight but the attack of the notes sound different on both programs. GoatTracker allows for configuration of hard restart where my player doesn't at the moment.. It could be that but comparing SID register dumps gets a bit boring for me. :-)

I'm also really nervous about the whole sound processing on the iPod - when I ported GoatTracker's player a while ago, it plays most of the GT example tunes fine but stutters a bit on some. Enabling debug to file on my laptop also causes stuttering so it can be a real pain to debug.

Last Jan, eh? Yeah I've been on and off for months too. No kids this weekend so hopefully I'll get something done if the weather is poor.

2011-06-10 22:24
Laxity

The iPod ought to be powerful enough to run ReSid without stuttering - I didn't have problems at all, with ReSid without modificatons. Didn't use interpolation or any other fancy setting though, just the most plain setting there is. Are you running it on an old iPod equivalent to iPhone3 or earlier?

Kids have a tendency to eat good spare time - I know mine do. :)
2011-06-11 03:44
SparkyNZ
Account closed

My iPod is an iPod Touch - same hardware as the iPhone 4. I just did a straight compile of GoatTracker, made it load a tune and it worked. Maybe the tune is supposed to stutter haha. I think it was called Dojo.sng or something.

I really hope it has enough grunt because I'm wanting to run multiple ReSID instances. We'll see how it goes. I'd better get these player routine glitches sorted out I suppose. :-)
2011-06-11 06:33
Laxity

Well, since you had the same stutter when writing the audio stream to disk, it's surely an implementation issue rather than power issue. :)

I suppose it has the power to run a couple of ReSid instances at least.. The iPhone3G (not S) can run it :)

2011-06-11 06:46
SparkyNZ
Account closed

Ah, for sure. If I turn my debug off its fine. It'll be because I'm opening and closing a file every time it writes a line of debug.. well.. thats what its doing on Windows at the moment. I'm not too worried about the iPod just yet - gotta get my logic all sorted first. At least I'm getting some good things fixed today. The beer in the fridge is calling though.. better fix the track commands now otherwise it won't happen until tomorrow! :-)

I can't honestly see me wanting to use more than 2 ReSIDs.. but you never know. I'm not going to put any limitations on it. I suppose if you wanted lots of channel 3 instances it could be good for that .. but.. I personally doubt I'd ever be doing that.

2011-06-12 16:31
Laxity

Just out of curiosity. Are you not planning on having the tunes made with your tracker play back on the 64?
2011-06-12 18:50
SparkyNZ
Account closed

Nah.. The whole intention for me is to write music on the go. I could have just written a tracker, but if I do that I'm bound to get stuck and want more samples than I have on the iPod at the time. I take it your iPad app is going to be a real C64 sound producing workhorse?
2011-06-12 21:45
Laxity

Yeah, that was the idea.. But as many pet projects, there's a risk that it'll amount to nothing. :)
2011-09-29 09:38
Digger

@Laxity: Any news about the iPod app? :)
2011-09-29 17:07
SparkyNZ
Account closed

Quote: @Laxity: Any news about the iPod app? :)

My iPod app is still in development.. The player routine is driving me nuts! :) Its only getting a couple of hours attention every week tho. :(
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
stephan-a
Guests online: 117
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)