Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Bug Reports > Unfair charts voting results
2011-05-10 14:18
booker
Account closed

Unfair charts voting results

Hi, allow me just to quote the best idea I've read so far about voting system:

Quoting enthusi
And Im not growing tired of suggesting to just count all votes > 8 accumulative for gfx,music,code.
6 * vote 10 = 60 points
20 * vote 8 = 160 points
etc.
Maybe someone who is (even ;-) more into database stuff than me can play with CSDb votes and give this approach a try?
Last time I checked that manually I was pretty content with the overall results.

Seems to be very fair option and as well relatively easy to implement using already existing data.

Even then bugs like 16th place of T.C. with 4 votes (36 pts. total) vs. 16th place of Hayes (46 pts. total) vs. Scortia 18th (138 pts. total) would be solved automatically ;)

... 36 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2011-05-11 09:23
booker
Account closed

Right, as this seems to go nowhere lemmie just again explain why I started this thread. It's not about voting, it's not about how many people vote, it's not about HOW someone vote.

Simply:

1.) we have charts on CSDb
2.) results calculation is crap
3.) if 2=crap why we need 1?

2011-05-11 09:49
SIDWAVE
Account closed

There has been various threads about this.

There has been MANY ideas how or what to do.

Every single idea is always turned down, by mostly 1 person: Groepaz.

"Oh no, that makes no sense, because"

So, there is no point at all to give any more ideas, it all ends in the thread going nowhere, as usual.

Instead to think and sit down, and try and make something, it is always Groepaz that just say "its futile".

So i gave my LAST idea, and is asking the people behind CSDB, to cut through all the ideas, and think hard, and make a DECISION.

Unless you are gonna make a DECISION, whatever it might be, just please from now on, when there is yet another idea what to do, then just CLOSE the thread immediately, with the comment "THREAD CLOSED, BECAUSE THE SYSTEM WILL NEVER BE CHANGED".

It all comes down to 1 thing: deciding, to do something.

There is enough ideas, you dont need any more ideas!
2011-05-11 09:52
SIDWAVE
Account closed

My FINAL idea:

Just show nr of downloads, and make that the "chart".

No more, no less.

Over and out, on this from me.
2011-05-11 10:52
JCB
Account closed

Get rid of vote based charts they're pointless and get abused anyway, add user favourites, correlate those every so often (save it taxing the server) into a top list of how many people have a prod in their favourites. It can still be abused but only if someone can persuade all their friends to favourite their stuff and not someone else's which would be petty anyway ;)
2011-05-11 11:30
Celtic
Administrator

It aint just Groepaz who says no to ideas. He usually is the first to post it leaving the other admins to well, not do it. I back him on this.

Personally, yes, there are some faults with this system, and when perff actually has time, maybe it will be discussed to change, however, there are many other more important things we would prefer he would do first.

This thing just aint a priority to me right now, i much rather see other things on our to do list done first.

This however aint no blow off. When the time does come when we will tackle this problem, this thread and you opinions will be read again and taken seriously.

I am just saying, dont expect any changes overnigght you know.
2011-05-11 11:34
Jazzcat

Vote on a paper votesheet and send it to me in the mail.

I will send your stamps back if you need them.
2011-05-11 11:41
enthusi

Yes, JCBs concept is what I'd favour too.
A personal list of 5 (or 10) TOP releases in demo,gfx,music, etc. And add all TOP lists up for the charts.
However this requires new code/database-stuff.
Hence the idea to simply apply a more simple scheme above.
2011-05-11 17:10
chatGPZ

Quote:

Every single idea is always turned down, by mostly 1 person: Groepaz.
it is always Groepaz that just say "its futile".

LOL. you obviously overestimate the influence and power of a single moderator by far. you can be sure that if others had a different view, they would say so.

Quote:

So i gave my LAST idea

promise?

Quote:
Unless you are gonna make a DECISION, whatever it might be, just please from now on, when there is yet another idea what to do, then just CLOSE the thread immediately, with the comment "THREAD CLOSED, BECAUSE THE SYSTEM WILL NEVER BE CHANGED".

i can see how that solves everything and doesnt end in yet another OMG THEY BE CENSORING MY CRAP.

Quote:

There is enough ideas, you dont need any more ideas!

that indeed i can agree with. every possible - and impossible - way to solve this has already been mentioned, over and over. so essentially threads like this are pointless =)

and no, thats not a reason to close such threads. the usual suspects obviously like to discuss this every once a while =)
2011-05-11 19:54
Linus

For fuck´s sake ... csdb just needs more votes - problem solved. zZz
2011-05-11 21:55
Jazzcat

Quote: For fuck´s sake ... csdb just needs more votes - problem solved. zZz

Same can be said for disk magazines in the late nineties and beyond... Internet generation is the lazy generation...
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
hedning/G★P
Clown
WVL/Xenon
McMeatLoaf
Ax!s/Onslaught - TND
rambo/Therapy/ Resou..