Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user tubesockor ! (Registered 2024-05-12) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Information should be free
2007-06-08 21:13
TDJ

Information should be free

Quoting Managing information in CSDb

2. The information regarding entries belongs to those who the information is about. A person "owns" the information about his scener-profile, and the information of his/hers releases and the groups he/she is/was member of.
3. If any person who "owns" information doesn't want the information in CSDb it is totally their rights to remove it, and should be respected. This means that if you have any doubts that the person who owns the information does not want it in CSDb, you must not add it, and also that this person have the right to delete the information at any time.

To be honest, I was never fully aware of these rules until Baracuda kept throwing them around, and I can't say anything else than that I don't agree with them at all ..

Just remember: the scene is bigger than the people that are (or were) part of it.

... 62 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-06-09 13:57
chatGPZ

sounds reasonable.... generally all info should be "public", with the exceptions of:
a) personal details (name, phone, adress, photo etc - ie what is protected by most related laws too)
b) copyrighted downloads (no matter how much _i_ would like to ignore this, you as the responsible hoster can't for obvious reasons)

b raises other questions though, like wether entries of commercial games (not cracks) without a download should be in the database at all. there should also be somekind of explaination on what is considered "copyrighted info" in that respect - because technically most stuff is copyrighted. (this is gonna be hard i guess)
2007-06-09 13:57
Oswald

perff, I believe noone can sue csdb for publishing info thats on the streets anyway. can you sue a newspaper because it says z demo was made by perff ? nonsense. but the rules should stay for private personal info.,
2007-06-09 14:35
Perff
Administrator

Updated the rules a bit. Any comments?
2007-06-09 14:47
The Communist

Good. But I think adding the home country would be no problem also.
2007-06-09 14:47
chatGPZ

imho the wording is kinda misleading. it makes it sound if "owning" information is the rule, not the exception. it should make clear that ALL info is generally "public property", with the already mentioned exceptions. eg "scener entries" can not be "owned" by an individual, since the contained info is generally "public" - with the only exception beeing the personal data.
2007-06-09 14:49
The Communist

Sounds good.
2007-06-09 14:57
chatGPZ

oh and it should also make clear that "maintainer" (someone who locked an entry) is different to "owning" information. a maintainer should not have any right whatsoever to remove information, except for the already mentioned "non public" stuff IF it is not related to him. (quite the opposite should be the case - maintainers should be responsible to provide all "public" info about a locked entry)
2007-06-09 15:04
TDJ

What about first names? Removing them will make it more difficult to 'connect' handles to a person. Not sure if having them here can be considered illegal ..

And a hard one is the case where the scener used his real name as handle, like the Panoramic dudes for example ..
2007-06-09 15:06
BAR.
Account closed

Quote: What about first names? Removing them will make it more difficult to 'connect' handles to a person. Not sure if having them here can be considered illegal ..

And a hard one is the case where the scener used his real name as handle, like the Panoramic dudes for example ..

Cossbow logs for good reasons in under another name.. :)
Other "old sceners" too..
2007-06-09 15:14
chatGPZ

Quote:
What about first names? Removing them will make it more difficult to 'connect' handles to a person. Not sure if having them here can be considered illegal ..

i'd leave that decision to the individual. (personally, i dont really know -nor care- about first names of most sceners, even those i know for 20 years :) we even use to call each others by our handles when we meet - often handles are more unique than the first names anyway :=))

Quote:

if its a handle, its a handle - and should be mentioned as such, no more no less.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Dr. Doom/RAD
YPS
fegolhuzz
Knut Clausen/SHAPE/F..
zscs
Clayboy