Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Sepa ! (Registered 2024-05-13) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Information should be free
2007-06-08 21:13
TDJ

Information should be free

Quoting Managing information in CSDb

2. The information regarding entries belongs to those who the information is about. A person "owns" the information about his scener-profile, and the information of his/hers releases and the groups he/she is/was member of.
3. If any person who "owns" information doesn't want the information in CSDb it is totally their rights to remove it, and should be respected. This means that if you have any doubts that the person who owns the information does not want it in CSDb, you must not add it, and also that this person have the right to delete the information at any time.

To be honest, I was never fully aware of these rules until Baracuda kept throwing them around, and I can't say anything else than that I don't agree with them at all ..

Just remember: the scene is bigger than the people that are (or were) part of it.

... 62 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-06-09 16:55
BAR.
Account closed

Quote: I don't get it. Try to explain it as for a child.And What exactly do you want from me?

A guy and me had the problem to add a release to a Cyborg..
Another one later said a Cyborg exists for the release.
So we delete ours..

You would find a cyborg, nobodys knows why it was deleted and maybe restore him... ;)

It is not because while you're dumb, it is because you don't know the storys behind..

With the option to add why it was deleted..

"too many cyborg errors"

2007-06-09 17:08
chatGPZ

oh please, this is hardly a problem. if you don't know whom to credit for a certain release, open a thread. happened often enough in the past, and could always be solved somehow.
2007-06-09 17:17
CreaMD

Quote: A guy and me had the problem to add a release to a Cyborg..
Another one later said a Cyborg exists for the release.
So we delete ours..

You would find a cyborg, nobodys knows why it was deleted and maybe restore him... ;)

It is not because while you're dumb, it is because you don't know the storys behind..

With the option to add why it was deleted..

"too many cyborg errors"

See. You exactly explained why people have problem to understand you. You expect them to check everything as you did. But they don't feel like doing it. It's much easier for you to tell exactly what you want instead of giving hints and leave people learn themselves (the hard way).

As for adding credit to cyborg. That's the flaw that can be only resolved many different ways. First of them is contacting of the maintainers of the entries, if there aren't any, the forum topic could be started. It's much better to leave the info in DB if it is not yours, and start debate about it. Maybe there should be special thread for tha, so there won't be too much forum topics started that might annoy other users.

And yes. As Groepaz said. "could always be solved somehow.". Wrong information isn't that tragic as misunderstanding between the database users.

roman
2007-06-09 17:24
BAR.
Account closed

This isn't so easy, believe me...

>>> Message sent by: Zyron on 2007-05-06 23:01:32+02
>>> Yes, of course there is graphics credits to a Cyborg in this release.. I had it entered as a comment before which I've now deleted. Maybe it is the correct Cyborg, maybe it isn't.
2007-06-09 17:26
CreaMD

Quote:
This isn't so easy, believe me...

>>> Message sent by: Zyron on 2007-05-06 23:01:32+02
>>> Yes, of course there is graphics credits to a Cyborg in this release.. I had it entered as a comment before which I've now deleted. Maybe it is the correct Cyborg, maybe it isn't.

What do you want to say by that? What do you propose?
2007-06-09 17:33
BAR.
Account closed

Quote: What do you want to say by that? What do you propose?

That it would be easier to inform perff as the main organizer about all deletion and why..
Later nobody knows what was the reason for deletion and
comments like to "many cyborg errors" wouldn't really help..

In a dialogue he would ask like you to understand the reasons..

A option for deletion comments wouldn't really help..

2007-06-09 17:41
CreaMD

Quote: That it would be easier to inform perff as the main organizer about all deletion and why..
Later nobody knows what was the reason for deletion and
comments like to "many cyborg errors" wouldn't really help..

In a dialogue he would ask like you to understand the reasons..

A option for deletion comments wouldn't really help..

Your solution would require Perff spending all his time on checking whatever happens here. Perff can't do everything.

Note what I mentioned few posts above (that doesn't differ that much from what you propose now). 1. Mods watching over logs. 2. Reason given when deleting stuff (this feature is requested and will be added soon).

This will assure two things.

1. There will be more people who might help with this. The load on Perff will be less.

2. Perff /or/ mods will see this reason in logs and decide what to do.

I assure you. Perff don't have time. And don't want to spend entire of his spare-time doing judge and sole administrator of everything here.
2007-06-09 17:56
chatGPZ

btw, while adding that kind of features.... it might be very helpful imho to have an additional type of comments (additionally to the "comments", "trivia" etc) for every entry that can be used to report all sorts of problems, inconsisties etc for an entry. right now many ppl use the regular comments for this, but having it seperated would make it a lot easier to check and browse.
2007-06-09 18:25
CreaMD

Quote: btw, while adding that kind of features.... it might be very helpful imho to have an additional type of comments (additionally to the "comments", "trivia" etc) for every entry that can be used to report all sorts of problems, inconsisties etc for an entry. right now many ppl use the regular comments for this, but having it seperated would make it a lot easier to check and browse.

Nice idea. I think it could be implemented as a sort of release-related bug-report which could be "ticked out" if correction is made. There could be a list of unsolved problems for users and admins to selects from, if they feel like cleaning out the mess.

That would eliminate stumbling upon such requests by chance and increased the possibility that there could be someone between the user, who could be able to provide the necessary data/info.

Unfortunately, what might seem like easy to us, can be few hours of coding for programmer, so it really depends on Perff what he will pick up from the to-do list. But I will try to suggest this to him if he misses it here.
2007-06-09 21:37
Perff
Administrator

I hear.
Like the idea.
Should this be implemented as some free-text field to each entry (like trivia), which could contain all bugs/issues and each bug could then be removed when fixed. (very easy to do)
Or should it be some smarter system like I think I hear you sugest, where each problem have it's own seperate "entry" in the database, and could be ticked out. (bigger coding job)
?
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Dave/SIDNIFY
Bob/Censor Design
Visage/Lethargy
LDX#40
Freeze/Blazon
TheRyk/MYD!