Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Evaluating the moderation of CSDb
2007-09-25 09:11
Laxity

Evaluating the moderation of CSDb

I think it's time to evaluate how the moderation of CSDb is going. Good/bad?.. Anyone?

Something just struct my eye. I just saw the "moderation rules" thread (started by Oswald) being closed for no obvious reason (Ok, Steppe said - "close thread?" or something). I disagree in such an approach to moderation. The moderator should not close a thread unless it's going really bad, and warnings have been issued; furthermore I think moderators who personally participate in a discussion should be rendered powerless over moderating that particular discussion. Furthermore, when closing a thread, I think a reason for doing so should be given..

Oh, and this is not supposed to be another "bitching" topic. I'd like to call and everybody interested to state their thoughts. Good AND bad. Not just bad, please!..

... 150 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-10-01 15:13
Stainless Steel

Basically it sounds very much like "Dont bother us with your pesky questions. We are the moderators and what we decide is right".

Yes, threads and posts should be closed / deleted if they get to far out of hand.
But the community should be able to see why, a simple "Topic closed" with all posts deleted is a very unsatisfying situation.

2007-10-01 15:42
wreg
Account closed

stainless steel, did you read the second paragraph of my post or which post are you refering to?

basically it sounds like: no public discussion, we are right in the first place, but that can of course be revised later cause we make mistakes (like everyone does i think)
2007-10-01 17:20
FMan
Account closed

This is actually worse than a proprietary forum, from which you will get banned, if you criticize the owner company's product. Random deletion makes in my opinion the moderators look less than good, while they have simultaneously allowed certain persons to run rampant on the forums for ages.

The underlying reason is of course the fact that there are two sets of rules: one for those considered elite, and another set for the rest of us. No matter what people from the first group do or say, follows no deletion but high votes. I have defended CSDb for years, but I won't anymore. This is bad, m'kay?
2007-10-01 17:21
Stainless Steel

wreg:
I read it all right, but it wasn't conclusive.

For me at least.

You say if anyone feels unfairly treated by the moderators, he should seek contact to them. well, thats fine and dandy.

But what I'm asking for is to have more insight into the moderation process as a bystander.

If a thread gets closed, I would like to see what the reason was and be able to read the post that caused the closing.

How should other Users know where "the line" is crossed if you rigorously delete the examples they could learn from.
2007-10-01 17:47
CreaMD

Quote: This is actually worse than a proprietary forum, from which you will get banned, if you criticize the owner company's product. Random deletion makes in my opinion the moderators look less than good, while they have simultaneously allowed certain persons to run rampant on the forums for ages.

The underlying reason is of course the fact that there are two sets of rules: one for those considered elite, and another set for the rest of us. No matter what people from the first group do or say, follows no deletion but high votes. I have defended CSDb for years, but I won't anymore. This is bad, m'kay?

I would like to see examples. Provide links please.
2007-10-01 17:51
CreaMD

Quote:
How should other Users know where "the line" is crossed if you rigorously delete the examples they could learn from.

100 PTS! ;-)
2007-10-01 17:55
Oswald

one thing is crystal clear here: what we have here is a moderators vs community debate. I see not a single non mod person against these (same in the poll thread)

- warning before deleting a forum post
- explanation on deleting a forum post (or just about anything)
- less agressive topic closings

the conclusion is to realise the idea of a moderation thread, where each action would be explained. this thread could be moderated agressively or make only mods be able to post into it, so moderator flaming is prevented.

I guess its about time for Perff to share his views on this matter. Obviously there's a push from the community.
2007-10-01 18:04
Oswald

Quote: I would like to see examples. Provide links please.

go through my posts that got deleted.

from memory:

- the first sin I committed was making a joke about the topic theme. post deleted. no explanation even after various ppl asking for it. for the record:I havent reacted.

- burglar allowed to call me crappy coder, why I am not allowed to bash on groepaz with "go go c64 ku klux klan" when he wants to delete chris huelsbeck for being non scener. I'D call this a selective troll filter.

- everyone is allowed to blabble offtopic in the user comments, while mine gots deleted immediately.
2007-10-01 18:14
Oswald

Quote: Oswald. You are individual. You are upset on some mod who moderated some of your posts. You are now stating your indivudual claims based on your indivudual experience with the moderation here. Some of your claims I find applicable some I don't find applicable. As well as some of my ideas are accepted and some aren't. We aren't the whole community though.

Roman, yes I am an individual :) so are everyone else complaining about moderation, each of them are stating their individual claims on their individual experiences of the moderation here. Also as an individual I can only judge things based on my individual experiences. Do you have something against this?:)
2007-10-01 18:51
CreaMD

Quote: one thing is crystal clear here: what we have here is a moderators vs community debate. I see not a single non mod person against these (same in the poll thread)

- warning before deleting a forum post
- explanation on deleting a forum post (or just about anything)
- less agressive topic closings

the conclusion is to realise the idea of a moderation thread, where each action would be explained. this thread could be moderated agressively or make only mods be able to post into it, so moderator flaming is prevented.

I guess its about time for Perff to share his views on this matter. Obviously there's a push from the community.

I don't think that you can draw conclusions after having so few responses.
Previous - 1 | ... | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Didi/Laxity
GI-Joe/MYD!
d0c
algorithm
Fred/Channel 4
eryngi