Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Evaluating the moderation of CSDb
2007-09-25 09:11
Laxity

Evaluating the moderation of CSDb

I think it's time to evaluate how the moderation of CSDb is going. Good/bad?.. Anyone?

Something just struct my eye. I just saw the "moderation rules" thread (started by Oswald) being closed for no obvious reason (Ok, Steppe said - "close thread?" or something). I disagree in such an approach to moderation. The moderator should not close a thread unless it's going really bad, and warnings have been issued; furthermore I think moderators who personally participate in a discussion should be rendered powerless over moderating that particular discussion. Furthermore, when closing a thread, I think a reason for doing so should be given..

Oh, and this is not supposed to be another "bitching" topic. I'd like to call and everybody interested to state their thoughts. Good AND bad. Not just bad, please!..

... 150 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-10-04 23:26
Oswald

btw, is it really a good idea that now mods can edit anyone's posts? will changes like that be logged?
2007-10-04 23:36
Rough
Account closed

bad idea, mods shouldnt have admin rights, and I experienced once in the past that such options are abused (on another forum).
2007-10-05 01:20
wreg
Account closed

<Post edited by wreg on 5/10-2007 03:21>

if you feel, that such options are abused by anyone of us, just leave a nice 'message to the moderators' :-)
2007-10-05 03:52
chatGPZ

Quote: bad idea, mods shouldnt have admin rights, and I experienced once in the past that such options are abused (on another forum).

pfff, it's the perfect weapon for elitist fascist bastard gestapo moderators! more features like that coming up!
2007-10-05 13:33
Rough
Account closed

Guess I will have to buy the database off from Perff and become admin.
2007-10-05 14:23
Perff
Administrator

Quote: btw, is it really a good idea that now mods can edit anyone's posts? will changes like that be logged?

Changes WILL be logged.
Thats the main difference between moderators and admins. It might seem that mods can do as much as admins (me), but they can't, and they have to write why they do what they do, and all this will be logged. All mods can then see what the other mods did and why.
2007-10-05 16:59
Oswald

excellent. now one more wish, when posting to a forum would it be possible to show in top of the "posting" window the last post, so one doesnt have to scroll down to see what is he replying to ? :) even better would be a "reply to this post" link. and then in the final post a link also back to the post that was replied to ;)
2007-10-05 17:03
chatGPZ

other forums (phpbb and burningboard) show the thread in reverse order when you are writing your reply so you don't have to scroll down a lot....
2007-10-06 00:49
FMan
Account closed

Quote: Good point. Moderation shouldn't be strict. Moderators shoudln't be forced to keep the restrictive rules 100%. They need freedom to choose which post to censor according to their experience and good will. They also need to have free choice whenever there is not exact rule about some problem. Fman's post for example. It wasn't dirrect attack towards other users, but it had some general accusations of csdb users that were based on subjective experience with the users (over IRC) and that doesn't belong to public forum at all. Important about this is. That I didn't lock that thread, nor I didn't censor that post. But I agree with the moderators who did it based on reasons I said above.

Why do you insist on calling them "accusations"? I already stated they were facts. Of course, now no-one can check what I said because you pre-empted that possibility. Is it proper moderator behavior, btw, to say someone is laughable?

Also, why can't you answer the simple question who it was? Why do the CSDb moderators feel the need to hide behind a vale of anonymity? Do you think that increases the users' trust in your actions? Probably not. Maybe the opposite.

> stop whining
> everybody still behaves like the teenage kids we were
> too many people here hold grudges

What exactly were you trying to accomplish with this post? Your writing is extremely rude and disrespectful. A person under whose handle it says "administrator" writing a message in this style erodes the little remaining believability there is on this system.

Groepaz is more the one who is holding a personal grudge and moderating from that perspective, and that's very dangerous. Fact remains, 4 months later, I have not received information as to who deleted my message and why. The moderation in this forum is not transparent!

There aren't that many users on the forums. The reason why there aren't more people complaining is that many people simply opt not to come here in the first place, or choose to stay away. Silence does not necessarily indicate that everybody else is happy with your ways.
2008-01-14 05:31
Oswald

I have contacted the moderators on our latest issue with groepaz. no reply. hello? anyone there? hello ? is that function called nil? have you talked that over? will this continue?

it feels nothing was considered from what was suggested here:

- no friendly moderation
- instead: editing a post to ridicule a user (punishing trolling with trolling? hello?)
- still no warnings
- posts are just wanishing without any sign
- rubber rules, some shit are left alone (posted by mods) some not
- trolling on users: wreg vs joe
- no feedback
Previous - 1 | ... | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Mason/Unicess
Scrap/Genesis Project
Guests online: 159
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)