Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Evaluating the moderation of CSDb
2007-09-25 09:11
Laxity

Evaluating the moderation of CSDb

I think it's time to evaluate how the moderation of CSDb is going. Good/bad?.. Anyone?

Something just struct my eye. I just saw the "moderation rules" thread (started by Oswald) being closed for no obvious reason (Ok, Steppe said - "close thread?" or something). I disagree in such an approach to moderation. The moderator should not close a thread unless it's going really bad, and warnings have been issued; furthermore I think moderators who personally participate in a discussion should be rendered powerless over moderating that particular discussion. Furthermore, when closing a thread, I think a reason for doing so should be given..

Oh, and this is not supposed to be another "bitching" topic. I'd like to call and everybody interested to state their thoughts. Good AND bad. Not just bad, please!..

... 150 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-10-01 11:57
CreaMD

Quote: ok, I'll add this then:

- we only discuss stuff internally, we do not say what we are discussing and we don't share the conclusions of those internal discussions either.

happy now?

this is not Iran, you know.

;-)

Yes I agree now. It now sounds much more reasonable but to be 100% sure that you get it, let me rephrase it completely:

1. Perff is an Admin and as he realised that he doesn't have enough insight to solve some peculiarities of social interactions wisely (like a king Solomon) so he decided that he needs someone who will be able to get that responsibility on their shoulders.

2. He asked people he trusted to nominate the ppl that could be good mods. The team was formed of people coming from "illegal" and "legal" scene, and also from enthusiastic users that aren't directly involved in any of the scenes. This was done to assure that moderators will keep an eye on fairness of decisions.

3. He gave the mod team some of his power and the mod team started to work and make many suggestions to make system better (log of user activites, log of edits, log of deletes, log of what has been censored with reason (so moderators will see what, who and why) moderator voted new user registration approval, etc. etc. etc.

thus

- Moderators watch moderators and any of the moves can be corrected, if necessary.
- Perff watch moderators.

Moderators doesn't have natural authority here. It's a group of chosen people to do the unpopular job of moderation and also a lot of unappreciated backstage work. It's not like on your (or mine) site, Burglar, where you are the only sole charismatic moderator of everything and the one who has biggest cock and can put thumb on anyone anytime (if he wants, but he usually doesn't need to). What you do here is something that you wouldn't allow on your site. I wonder how would the debate look if someone started to mock you up on your site. I think you would either ignore him or shut his mouth up.
2007-10-01 12:14
Burglar

Quote: ;-)

Yes I agree now. It now sounds much more reasonable but to be 100% sure that you get it, let me rephrase it completely:

1. Perff is an Admin and as he realised that he doesn't have enough insight to solve some peculiarities of social interactions wisely (like a king Solomon) so he decided that he needs someone who will be able to get that responsibility on their shoulders.

2. He asked people he trusted to nominate the ppl that could be good mods. The team was formed of people coming from "illegal" and "legal" scene, and also from enthusiastic users that aren't directly involved in any of the scenes. This was done to assure that moderators will keep an eye on fairness of decisions.

3. He gave the mod team some of his power and the mod team started to work and make many suggestions to make system better (log of user activites, log of edits, log of deletes, log of what has been censored with reason (so moderators will see what, who and why) moderator voted new user registration approval, etc. etc. etc.

thus

- Moderators watch moderators and any of the moves can be corrected, if necessary.
- Perff watch moderators.

Moderators doesn't have natural authority here. It's a group of chosen people to do the unpopular job of moderation and also a lot of unappreciated backstage work. It's not like on your (or mine) site, Burglar, where you are the only sole charismatic moderator of everything and the one who has biggest cock and can put thumb on anyone anytime (if he wants, but he usually doesn't need to). What you do here is something that you wouldn't allow on your site. I wonder how would the debate look if someone started to mock you up on your site. I think you would either ignore him or shut his mouth up.

1,2,3: sure, completely understand that, hell, I even agree!

The problem is that the moderators do not exercise their new found power properly: posts get deleted without warning and without explanation + posts get deleted that shouldn't be deleted in the first place.

And sure, I'd love to compare SH to CSDB, but sadly that's impossible as they serve completely different goals.
2007-10-01 12:25
Oswald

exactly. how hard it would be to do it something like this:

- warn
- delete+ explanation
+ reduced trigger happyness
- closed topics should not be deleted. never.
- topics should be only closed when they go into offtopic bitching or similar cases, but for god's sake let topics be a nice hangout for chit chat.

and lastly, why a group of ppl elected by Perff's trusted ppl should decide how is moderation done ? how about a public voting about how WE would like? moderation is for the community, and not the community is for the moderators. right ?

2007-10-01 12:26
Style

I left Lemon because the moderators were deleting posts *they didnt agree with personally*, as opposed to deleting posts that violated the usage policy.

I hope the same thing doesnt occur here.
2007-10-01 12:41
CreaMD

Quote: 1,2,3: sure, completely understand that, hell, I even agree!

The problem is that the moderators do not exercise their new found power properly: posts get deleted without warning and without explanation + posts get deleted that shouldn't be deleted in the first place.

And sure, I'd love to compare SH to CSDB, but sadly that's impossible as they serve completely different goals.

Ok. Yes I admit that maybe some posts could stay (some mods are a bit more 'triggerhappy' than others), but there is "Your reason?" feauture in the log so when user raise complaint about particular post we can judge whether it was right or wrong to censor it. I think it is ok if we moderators get contacted about the problematic post through "Userpage -> Contact moderators". This starts a new thread in moderators forum and everyone, including Perff can decide.

2007-10-01 12:51
Oswald

bah, moderation should be public. you must take responsibility for the posts you delete, and doing that in a hidden forum is not exactly like taking any responsibilty. publicity and free media is one of the most important thing in every democracy. it is too easy to hide if a mod is too triggerhappy on this or that person or does anything unacceptable. which brings me back to why warnings end explanations are a must. mods shouldnt control themselfes, but the community should control them which brings me to democracy again.
2007-10-01 13:22
CreaMD

Quote: bah, moderation should be public. you must take responsibility for the posts you delete, and doing that in a hidden forum is not exactly like taking any responsibilty. publicity and free media is one of the most important thing in every democracy. it is too easy to hide if a mod is too triggerhappy on this or that person or does anything unacceptable. which brings me back to why warnings end explanations are a must. mods shouldnt control themselfes, but the community should control them which brings me to democracy again.

Oswald. You are individual. You are upset on some mod who moderated some of your posts. You are now stating your indivudual claims based on your indivudual experience with the moderation here. Some of your claims I find applicable some I don't find applicable. As well as some of my ideas are accepted and some aren't. We aren't the whole community though.

2007-10-01 13:26
Stainless Steel

While we're on about the whole transparent moderation thingy, im awfully curious as to what's the story behind this
post.

I think it would be a good idea if we had something like a "moderator blog" where the latest activities of the moderators can observed.
2007-10-01 13:47
chatGPZ

Quote:

While we're on about the whole transparent moderation thingy, im awfully curious as to what's the story behind this post.

ask the one who posted it. it's sorted out now anyhow

Quote:

I think it would be a good idea if we had something like a "moderator blog" where the latest activities of the moderators can observed.

you don't want that, trust me. despite what some people think, moderators do a lot of boring work on the database, and you really wouldn't want to read a log of that.
2007-10-01 14:35
wreg
Account closed

it should not be the users who watch the moderators, this will only lead to more flaming, especially towards single persons and not the moderators-team

if you find your censored post was not inflicting with some rule or good taste or something like this, just drop us a line @ 'message to moderators' and we WILL take care of your request (internally that is)
and i guess it will result in some message to the person who is asking
Previous - 1 | ... | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Apollyon/ALD
Clown
Martin Piper
Mr.Ice
Mason/Unicess
tempest/extend