Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Dentro/One file demo
2003-08-06 13:44
Cruzer

Dentro/One file demo

Shouldn't dentros count in the top demo list, as one file demos do? And now we're at it, I think all other demo-ish productions like 4K intros and stuff like that should be in that chart aswell.

... 3 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2003-08-07 05:17
Dwangi

Yes you got a point there. I did the same thing i wondered why the awesome one-der by oxyron was not on the chart. Then i changed it from dentro to one-filedemo and it appered on the top spot on the chart :).
IMO all demos no matter if its one-file demo multifile 18 disk demos dentro,trackmo or whatever you call it should be on the same list as on demo/copy partys there were never separated categories for those. 4k-demos should have a separated list as they have now as its not fair to compare a 4k with a 2-sided demo.

Now if you excuse me i will watch the new camelot 256byte demo :)

2003-08-07 08:18
HCL

I shouldn't feed this thread, but let's go.. :)

The only thing i'd like to add to this discussion is that it seems like people vote higher for 1-file demos (i hate that word 'dentro'!! PUKE!!) than multi-file demos. Just take 'outbreak'. It wouldn't be anything special if it wasn't because it's squeezed into 64k, would it?

It *is* a great deal of work to do a 1-file demo from a multi-filer, and it's not always possible because of mem-limits. But i'm not sure that the demo really gets *better* from the watchers point of view. E.g. what makes One-Der have better score than Deus Ex Machina? To me, DEM has more different effects, more and better(?) gfx and music. A better demo, in short. I do *not* underestimate the work Graham did to make OneDer a one-filer, i know what it's like, and it indeed is a great demo, but is it better than DEM!?

Is it that the people who vote *know* how much work it is behind a one-filer? I thnk not. Not so many people try to do one-filers of *large* demos with several parts. So why is it?!..

Hmm.. gotta finish here before my philosophic mind takes over ;)
2003-08-07 09:50
TDJ

It's simple: people vote higher for one-file demos because they can put those on tapes!
2003-08-07 10:05
Cruzer

@HCL: You might have a point there that ppl vote too high for 1-filers. So it might be an idea with a seperate one-filer chart for all onefilers, no matter how small they are. That's just too bad for Dawnfall, One-der and Outbreak if they get thrown out of the demo chart, and into a seperate onefiler chart. So maybe we should just keep it the way it is.

One thing I agree 100% is that "dentro" is a crappy term. It just means one-filer, so why don't we just drop that stupid category?
2003-08-07 11:17
Graham
Account closed

@cruzer:

not quite true. dentro never had anything to do with "onefiler" in it's original meaning (if there ever was one). i've seen entire trackmos on amiga being called "dentros". one example is "technological death" by mad elks. anyway this all has been discussed before. i never used that term and neither did anyone until some people copying amiga demos also copied the term and misused it for something entirely different.
2003-08-07 14:12
Dwangi

@HCL

The "problem" with wonder and outbreak is that those demos not have 10% as many votes as DEM. Look at deus ex machina that demo have 74 votes ATM. I am sure if 74 people voted for outbreak then that demo would not be listed at before deus ex machina.
2003-08-07 14:12
Dwangi

hmmm sorry wonder should be one-der ... sorry graham
2003-08-07 14:31
Cruzer

@Graham: Well, if noone even knows what dentro means, that's just another reason to drop this stupid category.

After some thinking (which I'm pretty slow at, especially in this heat) I think the ideal situation was if somehow all demos was in the same category, but at the same time seperated into sub categories like 256b, 1K, 4K, onefiler and multifiler. But don't ax me how it should be implemented.
2003-10-17 06:12
drake
Account closed

some types of demos should be on a separated list, because a mulitfile demo could be more work (fe. when its 2 sided) and there are a lot of different types of demos.

i tried to explain to some non-sceners what kind of demos there are and what a demo exactly is, since they only seems to know that is should be a non-playable part of a game. if anyone can help me out :) thanx in advance..
2003-10-17 09:53
Stryyker

For many demo = demonstration of skills.
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Krill/Plush
DjS/Silicon Ltd
Yazoo/Arsenic
Oxbow/Xenon
Mason/Unicess
katon/Lepsi De