Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > What does it take to arrange a good party?
2010-01-04 14:17
Archmage

What does it take to arrange a good party?

I just noticed that there will be no LCP this year. Instead of pestering people who need a deserved break to make me a party, I think it would be interesting to investigate what sort of workload it would take to arrange a small (40-50 people) C64/other 8-bit party myself. Mind you, this is just at the level of throwing ideas about.

So, you experienced party arrangers out there: what are the pitfalls and what does your checklist look like?

There is also one thing that might make this kind of hard to pull off, and that is the fact that I live in Oslo, Norway. So you Swedes, Danes and other EU citizens - hypothetically - if a party in the southern part of Norway seemed well arranged and cosy and not too expensive in itself - would you consider coming?
2010-01-04 14:31
PAL

Hello!

In the past I arranged a party for my amiga group Razor 1911... It should not be that hard if one planned well and got a cool place to arrange it. AND GET PEOPLE TO CLEAN UP AFTER THE PARTY IS ALL DONE!

What if we got together and we could arrange a party together? We in Offence would love to throw a small party for real demo creators.

Maybe more to the summer, with a big barbeque and all?

PAL
2010-01-04 14:36
Archmage

Quoting PAL
What if we got together and we could arrange a party together? We in Offence would love to throw a small party for real demo creators.

It would make it very much easier if it is a joint effort. :) And summer is the best time in order to stear clear of other parties. If X2010 happens, that would be October-November, right?
2010-01-04 14:51
chatGPZ

for a small party like this (i consider everything with less than around 200 visitors "small") the biggest concern for you is:
- location ... find one that is cheap and that you can use 3 days in a row. (better 4 days, so you have some more time for buildup and cleanup)
- organising team ... you want atleast 10 people that help you with buildup, cleanup, entrance etc. you probably want another 10 people that help with less "involved" things (entrance) during the party.

everything else shouldnt be much of a problem, some kind of sound system, a projector, beer, tables etc... that can be arranged fairly easily in such small amounts

as for the pitfalls: make sure to save some money in advance. it should be enough to cover all expenses in the worst case scenario (everything has been arranged in time, everything must be paid, no visitors arrive, and then the location burns down). you should expect to loose 1000eu or so in such a case. get informed about insurance and related regulations (fire regulations most importantly) for the same reasons. it might be reasonable to get additional fire-insurance (for larger parties its a must)
2010-01-04 15:08
Frantic

Just to let everybody know, LCP will be back again next year. 2010 is a temporary break for me/LCP.

It would be hard to say how much work it is, since it may differ from party place to party place (would you need to rent tables/chairs/soundsystem etc or is that available at the party place?), and it is obviously more work to arrange a party the first time than the 99th time. That being said, I think the main determinant is the level of ambition. If you aim for gathering a bunch of people somewhere where there is already tables/chairs and you are able to borrow a big screen beamer from your work, or so, then it doesn't necessarily require that much work, especially if you can live with the possibility that only 20 ppl might actually show up even if there was 40-50 at some sort of list of signed up peoples.

A tip is to find a place where it doesn't matter that much if people hang around outside, being drunk and screaming, but which still isn't that hard to get to even if you don't come by car.

Let me know if you have more specific questions.
2010-01-04 15:29
cba

I think the location is very important, also good shower and sleeping facilities for a party that takes 3 days would be needed.

If there will be a X10 than it will be most likely around October or November.

2010-01-04 16:00
chatGPZ

Quote:
also good shower and sleeping facilities for a party that takes 3 days would be needed.

pussies :) infact i would put both of these very low on the "needed" list. most parties i have visited (and most of which i have helped with organising) worked out quite well without any of that old-men stuff :)
2010-01-04 18:06
JackAsser

Simply just think of what you would want on a party, personally I want the following, in priority:

1. Good party location with proper tables and chairs. Party friendly with no interrupting neighbourgs and preferably some store or other food facility near by.

2. A well organized compo. Don't repeat our mistake by having the music compo too late thus delaying the demo compo far into the night. (Same mistake as the X-organisers actually).

3. Friendly organizers that arn't too stressed.

4. Sleeping areas.

Also some general tips:

* Put plastic bags everywhere for people to throw stuff. Especially where the party is (usually outside close to the entrance).

* Take charge for the entrance fee asap, you will forget it otherwise.

* Make sure not to loose any demo entries. Use a text editor to write all the details for every submitted entry to avoid confusion the day after when u're sober.

* Take it easy when it comes to managing and don't be afraid of asking people for help. We're all adults and only a very few actually puke or destroy sometihng. Most of us are quite nice and helpful, make use of that.
2010-01-04 18:16
Yazoo

Quote: I think the location is very important, also good shower and sleeping facilities for a party that takes 3 days would be needed.

If there will be a X10 than it will be most likely around October or November.

yo... i think 2 days ago burglar said on irc that there will not be an X'2010... that pretty much scared me
2010-01-04 19:04
Burglar

well, imho, its too short notice by now, we havent done anything yet...

but we should discuss things internally first.
2010-01-04 19:49
wacek

Quote: I just noticed that there will be no LCP this year. Instead of pestering people who need a deserved break to make me a party, I think it would be interesting to investigate what sort of workload it would take to arrange a small (40-50 people) C64/other 8-bit party myself. Mind you, this is just at the level of throwing ideas about.

So, you experienced party arrangers out there: what are the pitfalls and what does your checklist look like?

There is also one thing that might make this kind of hard to pull off, and that is the fact that I live in Oslo, Norway. So you Swedes, Danes and other EU citizens - hypothetically - if a party in the southern part of Norway seemed well arranged and cosy and not too expensive in itself - would you consider coming?

Nothing can screw up a great party like a messed up big screen or beamer. Make sure colours are displayed correctly, use quality connections like s-video etc. (where are you Carrion?) ;) Same for sound system. For me that's one technicality that in most cases gets forgotten / low-prioritized.

With cheap airlines / fares availabl Oslo seems considerable from PL perspective ;)
2010-01-04 20:26
DeeKay

May I suggest the Epson EMP TW-1000 or -2000 for a projector? ;-)
I have tested its c64-awesomeness with several NUFLI pictures on a TW-1000 and since I was so amazed by it i actually went out and got myself a TW-2000, primarily because of the awesome c64 picture! ;-) The pixels are so crisp and the colors are so good, you'll only believe it if you've seen it yourself!
It has some magic gadgetry that makes scrollers super smooth, that occasionally mispinterprets a pixel here and there which looks like a bug when scrolling, but apart from that it's absolutely flawless! Weasel and Widdy can confirm this! ;-D
2010-01-04 20:36
DeeKay

Quote: Quote:
also good shower and sleeping facilities for a party that takes 3 days would be needed.

pussies :) infact i would put both of these very low on the "needed" list. most parties i have visited (and most of which i have helped with organising) worked out quite well without any of that old-men stuff :)

Haha, i was just about to write the same thing! ;-D

Sleeping, showers... tsih!... What's next? "Seminars and liveact is a must"?
2010-01-04 20:57
wacek

Quote: May I suggest the Epson EMP TW-1000 or -2000 for a projector? ;-)
I have tested its c64-awesomeness with several NUFLI pictures on a TW-1000 and since I was so amazed by it i actually went out and got myself a TW-2000, primarily because of the awesome c64 picture! ;-) The pixels are so crisp and the colors are so good, you'll only believe it if you've seen it yourself!
It has some magic gadgetry that makes scrollers super smooth, that occasionally mispinterprets a pixel here and there which looks like a bug when scrolling, but apart from that it's absolutely flawless! Weasel and Widdy can confirm this! ;-D

I confirm also great quality on InFocus Screenplay 4805 via s-video. Does nice progressive scanning so all 50fps stuff is flawless, and in great colours since this is DLP not LCD :)
2010-01-04 21:00
DeeKay

Argh DLP, my eyes hurt! ;-) Triple LCD is teh rawk!
Besides Infocus is not only a cheapo-brand, but also pretty much toast, ask Widdy, he knows! ;-D
2010-01-04 21:58
MagerValp

By far the hardest piece of the puzzle seems to be the location. You need something close enough to civilization that people can go there by bus or train, and buy food, but secluded enough that you can have drunk people make noise throughout the night. It also needs to strike a balance between being cozy and/or having a good vibe, and rough enough that a few tags, stickers and beer spills don't matter.

Once you have a location, the rest is just work and money.
2010-01-04 22:12
Soren

Deekay: InFocus Girls ? :-)
2010-01-04 22:34
A Life in Hell
Account closed

Quote: May I suggest the Epson EMP TW-1000 or -2000 for a projector? ;-)

I second this recomendation - I use a TW2000H as my primary c64 display these days, and it's ninjasweet 50hz goodness*

* as long as you turn off progressive mode, otherwise it deinterlaces to 25hz,. lame!
2010-01-05 00:03
wacek

Quoting DeeKay

Let's not start a senseless discussion, right? I mean DLP vs LCD, because it's been done to death ;) Given I am not a graphician, but I know what I see.

But saying that you need a FullHD machine like TW1000 to see 320x200 properly... that's just bull :)
2010-01-05 06:20
gregg
Account closed

Well, obviously LCoS is superior to LCD. :) Please don't get me started on DLP. After someone explained the rainbow effect to me, I started seeing it all the time on DLP projections.

On miniMO we used a Canon SX50 and it's IMO friggin' awesome. :)
2010-01-05 07:37
wacek

Quoting gregg
After someone explained the rainbow effect to me, I started seeing it all the time on DLP projections.

There's a power of suggestion for you :)

The one I have has 4x speed colorwheel and I have not seen a "rainbow effect" in my life, though I am eagerly waiting to see it for like 5 years now - LOL :)
2010-01-05 07:54
Stainless Steel

Quote:
If there will be a X10
WHAT DO YOU MEAN *IF* ????
2010-01-05 09:43
Radiant

IME (being involved in several unsuccessful endeavors), finding a venue is a big problem. Not being afraid of phoning around a lot probably helps, and get used to hearing "sorry, we don't allow overnight rentals" and "sure thing, that'll be <gazillion moneys> for a weekend rental".
2010-01-05 10:32
DeeKay

Quote: Quoting DeeKay

Let's not start a senseless discussion, right? I mean DLP vs LCD, because it's been done to death ;) Given I am not a graphician, but I know what I see.

But saying that you need a FullHD machine like TW1000 to see 320x200 properly... that's just bull :)

Where exactly did I say that you NEED a FullHD machine? Fact of the matter is that the TW-x000 series hands down delivers the best c64 picture I have ever seen on any device. It's so crisp, you can clearly SEE the square (well - rectangular! 8) pixels, scrollers are almost perfect and colors, too. I do not know how it does this, if maybe there's simply less blending going on due to the high resolution, but I have seen other projectors (and devices in general) before and the picture quality most of the time leaved a lot to be desired. f.ex. with most projectors, you don't see hires pixels on black at all (Mekka and Breakpoint goers might f.ex. remember starfields, 3d-Plotters etc. not being visible at all on the bigscreen!), Another problem is that yellow/lt. green look pretty much white on most projectors. And then there's the problem with lines in Interlace pictures (which you also get when you digitize from a c64 with a DV converter!)

I also know that the guy with the TW-1000 (Dexter/Abyss btw) actually took his c64 and went to Mediamarkt and tried out various projectors to see which has the best picture with the c64. He originally wanted a 720p projector, but got the TW-1000 once he saw the picture, which simply no other projector could match...

And I have yet to see a DLP projector where I don't see rainbows when looking around in the picture! ;-) And believe me: My eyes have seen a LOT of flickering when making these SHIF/UIFLI/NUIFLI/MUIFLI pictures, hehe...
2010-01-05 16:23
wacek

Hmmm :)

First of all you need to calibrate any projector to display colors correctly. I never use anything, being it LCD TV or projector, on factory presets, since light conditions in any given room are different than the other, not to mention if you use it at different times of day :) Even if you use the simplest calibration from any THX DVD disc (Star Wars anyone?) you get much better result than the factory presets.

About the pixels, you mean white/l.grey ones on black screen, right? Believe me, I don't understand what you are writing, I do not have that problem either :))) and I watched intro to "Place In Space" by Taboo like 20 times :)

I'll try to make some pictures, both to show you square pixels, starfields, and some colors. Any suggestions on the interlace picture I could use to test the "lines" you're mentioning? (again a problem I am completely unaware of, tbh).

By the way, the C64 you mentioned... Was it old or new VIC?
2010-01-05 19:34
Malmix

One think I've learned from taking part in organizing a bunch of small parties (read GREP) is that once you've got the location, soundsystem, beamer compomachines etc set make sure you don't promise more than you can hold... It's easy to think that arranging some surprise compos, some demo shows, some bbq session etc doesn't take much time and effort but it sure does. :) Organizing a demo party should be fun and not just alot of work.
2010-01-05 21:13
MagerValp

All this projector talk is total overkill. I've been to many awesome parties where the projector was utter crap (yes Floppy, I'm looking at you). The people, the atmosphere, and the location is what matters most.
2010-01-05 21:30
wacek

ok magervalp, i have to admit that back in '97 i was at a great party with a 21" tv instead of a bigscreen :))

now, i know i am a stubborn offtopic bastard ;) yet here are some mediocre quality shots - including my shaking hands due to long exposure times, lens distortion, and a lovely redish camera-noise (especially visible in technocracy shot), but hey, taking pictures in the dark room is not that easy :) use your imagination to substract some of that red, i didn't want to manipulate colors in any way.

single pixels in hires picture by astaroth

color reproduction - my preset, maybe a bit dark for some taste but i like it this way

for starfields it was not possible to take a picture, so here is a video to download ;)
http://arise64.pl/misc/01_starfield.mts

easiest way to play a avchd (.mts) file is using splash lite hd player from mirillis -> http://mirillis.com/splash.html

now that's for under 2k euro (back in 2005) - what do you think? ;)
2010-01-06 09:13
Archmage

Hi guys! Thanks for all the input here! I am afraid that I have to filter out all the projector talk for now. That info will no doubt come in handy later, but first things first.

So, I have done a bit of checking.

This is what I might have:
- I might have a location. Gloom has very kindly offered to book me the partyplace that they use for Solskogen (http://solskogen.demoscene.no/) the weekend after that party. Last time he checked the dates 23-25 July were still open, but this is the kind of place where people hold weddings etc. so I have to act quickly if it is to happen. There are several advantages that come with this place, namely tables and chairs, a power system (for lack of better words) that is able to serve the much bigger Solskogen party without breakdowns, outside barbeque and tent-facilities, a small sleeping area and optional showers in a nearby school (although this is an extra expense). The place is a 25-30 minutes train ride outside Oslo, and it is easily accessible by car or teleportation.

This is what I surely don't have:
- An idea if this is of any interest to people. If only Norwegians from the area show up, I might as well throw a party in my own livingroom (... which I won't). We'll need about 25-30 people to hit break even. More specifically, I'll need some indication as to whether parts of the Swedish horde will dare cross the border. Preferably in the continuation of this thread.
- Too much time on my hands. I just became a father again, so I am pretty pressed on time. Consequently, I will need help from some dedicated people to make this work. I'll need somebody who knows what the heck the projector geeks above are on about, somebody who knows how to put up a PA, and also a couple of guys who are able to function as fairly responsible organizers throughout the party and help tidying up afterwards.

This is what you'll most likely get:
- A small, affordable and friendly offline party in the c64 spirit - with room for other non-32+ bit platforms of course.
- Very low key entertainment in the sense of a big(ish) screen game competition, demo show and perhaps a dj-set if somebody is willing to step up. Adhering to Malmix' advice here, there will be no fracking seminars, live Rob Hubbard-gigs or award shows.
- No food or beer other than the stuff you bring yourself. There is no shop in the immediate surroundings, so you'll have to stock up. I will bring a coffee maker and coals for the barbeque, but that's about it.
- Nice competitions with symbolic prices made of clay and straw.

Mind you, I have no special secret wish to add "party organizer" to my list of traits . If there is another c64 party in the making in Scandinavia this summer, this is a good time to speak up. But if the alternative is to have no c64 party in 2010 I am willing to give it a go. Famous last words there... :P
2010-01-06 12:45
MagerValp

Maybe an earlier date would be preferable? That weekend will collide with Assembly, and possibly a Swedish emergency party.
2010-01-06 13:01
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Party also needs:

1. working votesystem
(yellow post it notes to vote, forget it)

2. an electrician
(to handle emergencies)
2010-01-06 13:12
Yazoo

Quote: Party also needs:

1. working votesystem
(yellow post it notes to vote, forget it)

2. an electrician
(to handle emergencies)

i dont think you need an electrician for a 40 ppl party... but you need to try calculate in average how much power the equipment / computers will need, and make sure that the power supply is strong enough.
but- if its that solskogen location there shouldnt be any problems with the power i guess.

2010-01-06 13:13
Archmage

Mvlp: check PM
Jan: for a 30 people party? I plan to do it oldskool, pen and paper ftw. And I'll bring some fuses. :P
2010-01-06 13:52
gregg
Account closed

Make sure people don't bring fridges, water boilers, etc. - oldschool computers or PCs don't need that much power. There is no need for an electrician on small(er) parties. Just be reasonable (no high power appliances, no 10 power strips plugged into each other, etc).
2010-01-06 13:55
chatGPZ

Quote:
There is no need for an electrician on small(er) parties. Just be reasonable (no high power appliances, no 10 power strips plugged into each other, etc).

having someone who atleast knows some basics and who can check simple things like "16A per outlet max" etc may be handy though :)

(votesystem? wtf.)
2010-01-06 14:09
Yazoo

ah yes - and make a website with a registration form :-) its always nice for ppl to see who is coming (and often had a little impact on my own decision about attending a party)
its also good for you to see how many ppl are going to attend. so you can make up a more proper calculation.

for the two oxy-parties i have organized i can say that you should count on about 20% visitors less than signed up (alot wont come, and some other - non-registered ppl will show up or sign up last minute.)

and just for psychological reasons maybe dont say "hey ppl, come to my 30 ppl party..."
better say: "there is plenty of space for about 100ppl" :-) (if the location is big enough hehe) that may attract a few more ppl and you may end up with a 50ppl party.

ah and btw... an invitation demo is always a nice to have if there's time for it. it brings more attention to the party i think.

just my 2 cents...
2010-01-07 02:03
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Well, things can go bad without an electrician, and why not have him ? it takes those issues off my back.

If you have a proper sound-man, you should also have proper people on the rest of the assignments. IMO
2010-01-07 06:33
Radiant

I'd probably show up, given due time to book train tickets etc (Swedish ticket prices are quite horrendous if you don't book well in advance). Probably some other people from Stockholm would be interested in joining up - it's not hard to go from here to Oslo.
2010-01-07 07:22
Devia

Quoting Jan Harries
Well, things can go bad without an electrician, and why not have him ?

Exactly what can go wrong without an electrician? - as opposed to what can go wrong with an electrician present?
Exactly which types of failures do you expect you'd actually need an electrician for?
2010-01-07 10:04
MagerValp

Come one people, stop wasting everyone's time with projector specs and electrical needs. We're talking about a cosy little C64 party for 50 people, not Breakpoint.

And to answer Archmage's question, if there is no Swedish summer party, I don't mind driving 3 hours north instead of 3 hours south.
2010-01-07 10:31
Devia

I would have to drive for 9+ hours... hmm.. not entirely out of the question, but it IS a looong way.
2010-01-07 10:37
gregg
Account closed

Quoting Jan Harries
Well, things can go bad without an electrician, and why not have him ? it takes those issues off my back.

Simple: it's expensive. And like others have stated already -- electrical issues don't exist on small(er) parties.
2010-01-07 11:03
Dane
Account closed

I've never been to Oslo, so fingers crossed you manage to throw something together. Always happy to help if I'm there and you need a hand.
2010-01-07 13:35
Carrion

Google maps says it's ~1400 from Warsaw to Oslo but I'll be there if there's a party! I know shit about organising a party but I can bring some polish cusine with me ;)

Arch: /me is waitng for a party in Oslo!
2010-01-07 13:38
DeeKay

Don't the Cheapo Airlines fly into Oslo or somewhere near it? ;-) If so, i might actually consider coming!...
2010-01-07 14:18
Carrion

DK
From Warsaw to Oslo:
~100 Euro with WizzAir
~300 Euro with Norwegian Airlines
I say you visit us in Warsaw then we go together to Oslo! And in meantime I show you some polish beers this time - what you say ;) ?
2010-01-07 16:19
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Quote: Quoting Jan Harries

Simple: it's expensive. And like others have stated already -- electrical issues don't exist on small(er) parties.

well i have a free one, and then there is Devia who knows that shit too :D
2010-01-07 19:32
Cresh

If nothing unexpected happens, I will show up with my pixelslave Carrion. ;)
Just confirm the date early enough to make it possible for us to book cheap flights.
2010-01-08 10:11
MagerValp

To cheaply get to Oslo, fly to Rygge:

http://www.ryg.no/

and then take the bus to Oslo:

http://www.rygge-ekspressen.no/TaksterTicketfare/tabid/58/langu..

E.g. a return trip Berlin-Oslo in June should cost little over €100. Other European cities cost about the same.

2010-01-08 13:51
Archmage

It might be a _very_ good idea to keep the dates 23-25 July open this summer. More info to come.
2010-01-08 14:18
SLC

About travelling... if you first take the airplane to Rygge, you are already almost at the party place. It's only half an hour from that airport so no need to go all they way to Oslo and back again ;)
2010-02-27 19:29
Cresh

Archmage, any news?
2013-07-04 20:18
Norrland

Bumping this topic. Or to be more exact the discussion about projectors in this topic.
A couple of years have gone by since these last comments about what models of projectors that were/are c64-friendly. Anyone with new experiences? Other models that also kick ass with regards to graphicmodes, colours, scrolling and so on.

Anyone tested some of the other (latter?) epson twxxx than these mentioned here (tw1000 and tw2000). I would gladly get a tw-1000 or similar, but these models are not that common in the secondhand market these days...
2013-07-05 17:19
Cruzer

At Datastorm they promised to have projectors that displayed 50 Hz totally smooth. And they delivered what they promised as far as I could tell. So get the same ones.
2013-12-02 21:16
theWizard
Account closed

beer
2013-12-03 17:52
titan_ae
Account closed

for the most ppl i bet for : free beer, free entrance and no travel costs for all...

ok, u just need an millionaire as sponsor :)
2013-12-05 18:54
theWizard
Account closed

free beer even better lol

i wouldnt go to one mate , blondie might beat me up with his blonde hair curler lol.

have to be a charge on the door , £15 quid sounds about right.

have to pay for the place n travel , ( free air ticket included in the £15 share the price between everyone )

its doable ..

and onanoffable
2013-12-05 21:07
Mace

Most important about a good party is good people.
And no hickups in showing the compo entries, so check your hardware, back it up and check it again.

Oh, wait, didn't see the bump :-)
Well, there's my point.
2013-12-05 22:07
theWizard
Account closed

after 20 beers what would be the difference between a demo and a frog jumping backwards through a hoola hoop lol
2013-12-05 22:44
dalezy

2013-12-06 01:42
chatGPZ

fucking combo breaker =)
2014-01-09 21:00
Sixx

Not having prize givings at 05?

Datastorm.se :)
2014-01-12 19:39
metalux

Personally, I like when there is relatively loud C64 or Amiga music playing in the background. During BFP 2013 when they tested speakers and other equipment they played Spot - Break the Box. For me, a perfect atmosphere for serious programming! The ideal situation is of course a C64 DJ playing music all day long.
2014-01-12 20:43
hedning

The city of Lund, Gothenburg or Someren. ;)
2014-01-12 21:15
Conrad

if only Newcastle were on that list too. :P
2014-01-12 22:47
TheRyk

Come to Berlin in late Feb and we show you ;)
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
zscs
jmin/F4CG
Guests online: 77
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)
2 13:37  (9.7)