Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Single-release dumping on CSDb
2008-01-03 18:02
jailbird

Single-release dumping on CSDb

First of all, please don't get me wrong. I really adore most of the single-releases here (under which I mainly mean the currently popular trend of releasing single graphics or effects on CSDb). Most of them are very pleasant and provide me with a huge dose of cosiness. But here's the funny part: graphicians are usually unhappy about the lack of coders who would use their art, whilst on the other side - most of the time coders can't find competent graphics to spice up their effects.
I understand that most of you are very eager to show your work to the public as soon as you finished it. Yet hypothetically speaking, what about getting together by combining your obviously overgrown strength, knowledge, motivation, enthusiasm and fascinate us with a new poppy C64 demo every second month or so instead another monstrously huge bunch of single releases in the upcoming year(s)?
Or it's just me who finds much more scenish value in a smooth demonstration filled up with fine code, graphics and music instead of frequent single-releases?
2008-01-03 18:33
Stainless Steel

While I usually would have been the first one to agree with you, I recently have began thinking differently about the matter.

After seeing the recent "clashes of the artists" (mirage/vanja/dane/etc) and the hopefully
still ongoing twister effect battle, ive come to think that its not such a bad thing after all.

The final outcome of these interactions are usually very interesting and might not have
evolved that way without the circumstances of the situation.

On the other hand, I've been passionately cursing the svärd brothers in the past for all the standalone releases
(as we all vividly remember) they made last year.

When they finally did combine their craft into a actual production, I was in total bliss.

Overall, i like to think about it as a sign that the scene is still alive and healthy.
Maybe differently than some would like to have it, but you cant have your cake and eat it too.

2008-01-03 18:49
Mermaid

First of all, what Stainless Steel said. Except maybe the bit about cursing the Svärd brothers <3

Second of all, this is hardly anything new is it? I thought people uploaded their pictures to Compunet as single releases too sometimes? But maybe people complained about it back then as well, hmm.
2008-01-03 19:00
jailbird

Of course I really don't mind if this goes on. It's your choice, and it's still way way better than releasing nothing at all... Still, most of us would probably be out of our skin when seeing a demo featuring all these (IMHO a little bit wasted) great stuff which are released here day by day.
2008-01-03 19:07
Oswald

JB, regarding the gfx scene this is rather because drawing on pc is more productive. it looks like we rather lack coders to use the work of gfxers/musicians. but then again that is the hardest part, you dont make a new mindblowing effect every 2nd or 3rd week :) and linking it all together in such a quality thats over the bar is even harder.
2008-01-03 19:13
Crimson

A risk of eclecticism, my friends, since everyone has his own style. The idea is interesting, though

Stainless Steel; Please stop cursing, be more tolerant. We have some own space here and please, let's allow for some liberty even if you don't like the idea.

Marcin A. [crimson/wrath designs]
2008-01-03 20:08
Stainless Steel

Quoting M.A
Stainless Steel; Please stop cursing, be more tolerant. We have some own space here and please, let's allow for some liberty even if you don't like the idea.

That was meant rather tongue in cheek. Don't take it literally.

Of course there have been standalone releases of gfx and what not since the dawn of the scene. Those releases would usually get great praising (the sarge or any of the countless compunet releases).

But that's not the point.

Back then, there was such an enormous amount of things being made that no one would bother if the a great gfx was releases on its own.

The amount of good demos being released today is unfortunately nowhere near the compunet days.

Thus, when a great gfx comes along (which happens rather frequently lately) the people love it but at the same time wish someone would have made a great demo around it as well.

2008-01-03 21:01
Dane
Account closed

Good, Jailbird, don't get caught in this flood of releasing all your good stuff as single files - that would mean I have to pixel for the demo!
2008-01-03 22:24
Burglar

Quote: Good, Jailbird, don't get caught in this flood of releasing all your good stuff as single files - that would mean I have to pixel for the demo!

what demo? ;)
2008-01-03 22:39
Stainless Steel

Pssst. Its a secret!

RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
kbs/Pht/Lxt
iceout/Avatar/HF
bexxx
DKT/Samar
iAN CooG/HVSC
Airwolf/F4CG