Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Emu-Fuxx0r
2002-04-14 00:35
Eyeth
Account closed

Emu-Fuxx0r

Hello, CSDb denizens-

I would like to bring up this subject, in a constructive fashion, however!

I recently found out that certain demo authors and groups are now using Krill's code to disable their demo offerings under c64 or 128 emulators.

I find this practive to be very shortsighted and in fact, I would vote very negatively on such behavior in CSDb or on any related votesheet.

Why go to all of this trouble in emulator detection and disabling technology. IMHO, the time *wasted* on such efforts are far better spent on NTSC fixing it so that we North American sceners can view your demo releases. (And on the real machines, I might add!) Or just add a NTSC-fixer to your demo crews and share full source code for a proper NTSC fix.

As of now, I am unable, still, to view certain demos due to no NTSC-fix and an emulator is out of the question as they are emufuxx0red! Talk about severely limiting your audience.

An c64 emulator is a brilliant piece of software engineering. The original c64 was truly inspired piece of software/hardware engineering. Are they not equal in deserving consideration and respect? The c64 audience uses both kinds, the emulation and the real thing and all of them share the common c64 computing experience.

Also, emulators are perfect for one thing; they can easily take screenshots of demo screens, even if there's interlacing effects and sprites multiplexed all over. I plan on writing newsletter articles covering the demo scene and try to bring more awareness to the North American scene regarding fine demo offerings and screenshots are invaluable.

I know that demo coders, graphicians, musicians, etc. all work together in creating inspired art on our Commodore 64's. Let's not restrict the audience any necessarily further by implementing emulator detection and shutdown. Allow any Commdore (real or emulated) user worldwide to share in the demo experience in 2002 and onwards. :)

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott

... 96 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2002-12-10 17:21
cadaver

Ah, btw. there's at least 3 ways to embarrass oneself by using an emu-detection routine

1) If the check gives positive on some real C64s
2) In the future as emulators improve, a message such as "thankyou for using real c64" seen on emu would be quite funny :)
3) Maybe C=1 owners wouldn't like their machines being called emulators :)
2002-12-10 18:53
xIII
Account closed

Quote: vengeance, please release a new issue of vandalism news as soon as possible. I read both scene world and arachnaphobia last week and i feel terrible. So please give me back my thirst for diskmags :)

There's a small bug in Vandalism News when viewed in Winvice 1.10 (a glitch or flikkering or whatever you call it)... It doesn't show on real c64 tho' ;)
2002-12-10 22:45
Slator

And still I don't think that telling a user what system he has to use is a good idea. I won't check any stuff that doesn't run on emu because of a lame protection thing. Without those emulators the crowd of fans would not be that high. Good stuff is always worth the transfer time.

2002-12-11 01:40
CyberBrain
Administrator

Quote: And still I don't think that telling a user what system he has to use is a good idea. I won't check any stuff that doesn't run on emu because of a lame protection thing. Without those emulators the crowd of fans would not be that high. Good stuff is always worth the transfer time.

yeah, perhaps, but telling the user of an emulator that what he is about to see, doesn't look as it is supposed to i think is honourable.

If you are offended by such messages... well... don't think it's the demo-coders problem.

Richard isn't gonna make his stuff crash when run on emulators, if that's what you thought - check his posts.
2002-12-11 10:26
Richard

Hear not,

I have spent a long time playtesting my new game, which I'll launch on to my web site in the new year. It is pure quality and believe me (seeing would be believeing) there are no major bugs or crashes in the game. Amazing huh? I concentrated really hard checking for bugs and kept my own source. I can tell you that it is a 1 or 2 player game, static screen, and has random game screens. I wont tell you anymore about the game. You have to keep your eyes peeled.

I'll be working on another few games later on, but I will release a 1-level playable preview of each game.

For those who crack my games. No matter how good or bad these cracks are. I keep them into a folder called the 'TND Firstreleases' archive. I will continue to collect first release or cracked versions of my games :)

Finally those TND intro-links will not continue on my game releases. They may be used elsewhere.
2002-12-11 11:31
yago

Richard, please use another thread for advertising your game.

Concerning your Question, why don't you let the user press "pound" if he has the real thing, and any other key, if he uses an emulator.

Should be easy enough to program yourself, and the pound-key is confusing enough for PC-Users.

Have Fun,
Zed Yago

2002-12-11 12:28
cadaver

Too bad unix-VICE can be configured to map the keyboard "logically", so pound will in fact be output from the key with pound-sign :)

Well, all lamers use Windows anyway ;)
2002-12-12 14:36
Krill

Quote: @Richard: Didn't krill make a detector? Maybe you should ask him?

@cadaver: i don't know either. I don't have a clue about what emulators doesn't emulate properly, or how to fool emulators into making mistakes. (i guess it is only in some fairly complex cases due to several different circumstances it makes errors?)

A proper emulator detection is nothing I would call trivial.
2002-12-12 14:38
Krill

hmm. i wanted to quote cadaver. yeah. now i know what idea i can submit to improve csdb.
2003-01-05 21:39
Richard

Quote: hmm. i wanted to quote cadaver. yeah. now i know what idea i can submit to improve csdb.

105 posts on a particular subject? Now that's amazing :)

(cogs slowly turning in Richard's brain)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Juzdie/Artline Designs
eryngi
Holy Moses/Role
Guests online: 110
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)