Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Emu-Fuxx0r
2002-04-14 00:35
Eyeth
Account closed

Emu-Fuxx0r

Hello, CSDb denizens-

I would like to bring up this subject, in a constructive fashion, however!

I recently found out that certain demo authors and groups are now using Krill's code to disable their demo offerings under c64 or 128 emulators.

I find this practive to be very shortsighted and in fact, I would vote very negatively on such behavior in CSDb or on any related votesheet.

Why go to all of this trouble in emulator detection and disabling technology. IMHO, the time *wasted* on such efforts are far better spent on NTSC fixing it so that we North American sceners can view your demo releases. (And on the real machines, I might add!) Or just add a NTSC-fixer to your demo crews and share full source code for a proper NTSC fix.

As of now, I am unable, still, to view certain demos due to no NTSC-fix and an emulator is out of the question as they are emufuxx0red! Talk about severely limiting your audience.

An c64 emulator is a brilliant piece of software engineering. The original c64 was truly inspired piece of software/hardware engineering. Are they not equal in deserving consideration and respect? The c64 audience uses both kinds, the emulation and the real thing and all of them share the common c64 computing experience.

Also, emulators are perfect for one thing; they can easily take screenshots of demo screens, even if there's interlacing effects and sprites multiplexed all over. I plan on writing newsletter articles covering the demo scene and try to bring more awareness to the North American scene regarding fine demo offerings and screenshots are invaluable.

I know that demo coders, graphicians, musicians, etc. all work together in creating inspired art on our Commodore 64's. Let's not restrict the audience any necessarily further by implementing emulator detection and shutdown. Allow any Commdore (real or emulated) user worldwide to share in the demo experience in 2002 and onwards. :)

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott

... 96 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2002-05-13 23:52
fade
Account closed

TMR: thats is true, it's always amusing. I'm now watching Hurricanerlamer by Alphaflight [released with altered Beast] and it's amusing as all hell, also great music.

Just so everyone knows, i have no real issue with richard_tnd. but emufuxxoring is a novel idea, there is no need to start a big campaign against it, if anything it is a good idea to turn your 64 on. If you want to emu fuxx or not i don't care and so do a lot of people in the scene.

Thats just the way it is..
2002-05-14 01:08
Six

I think T.M.R. raises an interesting point. Some of the most inventive (if not technologicly advancing) demos I have in my collection are war demos. Take the "ESI Shit" demo for instance. Controversy itself does seem to pique people's interest, and as an example, look at the number of replies and views on different CSDb topics. You'll find that this semi-controversial topic has gotten the most traffic. The scene really does seem to thrive on controversy.

In the interest of deviating even further from the origional topic of this thread, I suggest that we should invent an imaginary lamer and have a war-demo competition to stir up interest in the demo arts. Any takers?
2002-05-14 17:58
Krill

Okay, time to unleash everything...

I won't produce a 100% working version of Emu-Fuxx0r.

The reason is not that I don't feel like wasting my time on that but that I think this tool has fulfilled its task. I just wanted to see whether it'd be used at all and how people would react on it. In fact, I never used an emulator protection in my productions.

To be honest, this was not my only reason to make this piece of software. In the first place, I just wanted to enable all people to prevent their software from running on emulators, as I realized there are actually people intending that. I myself am not a die-hard "C64 Pride" warrior. And not against emulators at all, too. I just wanted to give people a powerful tool.

As Crossbow did a similar protection before, I were not first one coding such a protection, but the one giving also non-coders that possibility. His protection was very easy to work around, and I just wanted to make a better one. This was the challenge for me. Actually a challenge referring the encryption routines and not the check routines, which I think were never considered impossible.

Later on, I realized that I had actually done something quite foolish, not having thought about the impact on the scene I could have caused. But then I thought it might be funny to go on with it and see what would happen.

It seems like Fenek/arise has found a nice way to un-fuxx0r the files, and as I don't feel like thinking up some new protection techniques (but coding some new demo routines instead), a new version basing on the old ones would really be a waste of time in the effectivity way.

Still, the check routines work, and I already received a request to give them away, obviously this person's wish is to protect his own software. Don't blame me if he does.

Somehow, this whole situation reminds me of this short story called "The Weapon", where a certain Dr Graham (no kidding!) is about to invent the Ultimate Weapon, not caring about the results of his actions.

Okay, enough on that one.
2002-05-15 16:44
chatGPZ

mmmh i'd be interisted in those detection routines aswell.... not really to protect, but to detect - and show some silly message or other weirdo stuff especially for emulator users :)
2002-05-15 17:35
Cupid

Apparently I had this idea of a "Emulator only intro" together with krill. A small introscreen with information what problems might occur on an emulator, that is only shown in an emulator.

Isn't that a better solution than making Emulator protections? Telling the users flat out that what they are going to see is not 100% what it is supposed to look like?

This is much the same approach as newer designer websites take, use the goodies of css2, but keep the sites accessible for other users as well, while telling them that their browser is outdated (http://www.alistapart.com/ for an example, watch it with netscape 4.x).
2002-05-15 19:42
Richard

Emu-Detector - That's more like it ;)
2002-05-15 21:00
TDJ

Personally I'm waiting for somebody to emu-fuxx the unfuxxored version of the Jeroen Kimmel collection.

Just imagine, the irony!
2002-05-15 21:24
CreaMD

Quote: Personally I'm waiting for somebody to emu-fuxx the unfuxxored version of the Jeroen Kimmel collection.

Just imagine, the irony!

But please, never Emu-fuxx the emufuxxor.
2002-05-16 17:44
Richard

Quote: Personally I'm waiting for somebody to emu-fuxx the unfuxxored version of the Jeroen Kimmel collection.

Just imagine, the irony!

Heh, heh! ;)
2002-05-17 11:03
chatGPZ

Or those ppl which are constantly bitching about the lack of releases could form a group that re-releases old games in emufux0red versions :=) Ha! and then another bunch of ppl goes forming a group that unfux0rs them again! Twice the amount of releases generated out of nothing! Life is good! ;=P
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Board Rider/Commodor..
Guests online: 138
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)