Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Emu-Fuxx0r
2002-04-14 00:35
Eyeth
Account closed

Emu-Fuxx0r

Hello, CSDb denizens-

I would like to bring up this subject, in a constructive fashion, however!

I recently found out that certain demo authors and groups are now using Krill's code to disable their demo offerings under c64 or 128 emulators.

I find this practive to be very shortsighted and in fact, I would vote very negatively on such behavior in CSDb or on any related votesheet.

Why go to all of this trouble in emulator detection and disabling technology. IMHO, the time *wasted* on such efforts are far better spent on NTSC fixing it so that we North American sceners can view your demo releases. (And on the real machines, I might add!) Or just add a NTSC-fixer to your demo crews and share full source code for a proper NTSC fix.

As of now, I am unable, still, to view certain demos due to no NTSC-fix and an emulator is out of the question as they are emufuxx0red! Talk about severely limiting your audience.

An c64 emulator is a brilliant piece of software engineering. The original c64 was truly inspired piece of software/hardware engineering. Are they not equal in deserving consideration and respect? The c64 audience uses both kinds, the emulation and the real thing and all of them share the common c64 computing experience.

Also, emulators are perfect for one thing; they can easily take screenshots of demo screens, even if there's interlacing effects and sprites multiplexed all over. I plan on writing newsletter articles covering the demo scene and try to bring more awareness to the North American scene regarding fine demo offerings and screenshots are invaluable.

I know that demo coders, graphicians, musicians, etc. all work together in creating inspired art on our Commodore 64's. Let's not restrict the audience any necessarily further by implementing emulator detection and shutdown. Allow any Commdore (real or emulated) user worldwide to share in the demo experience in 2002 and onwards. :)

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott

... 96 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2002-04-14 23:56
Stryyker

So? Krill created it for the challenge. I don't think he has anything against emulators. Email etc. those who actually use the protections. So fat all protections can be bypassed so there is no worry.
2002-04-15 09:53
Krill

Interesting read, this is. Thanks for quoting me, Stryyker.
2002-04-15 10:13
T.M.R
Account closed

Quote: Interesting read, this is. Thanks for quoting me, Stryyker.

Hey Krill, any chance of an emu-un-fuxx0r - it'd be a challenge! =-)

2002-04-15 10:35
CyberBrain
Administrator

Maybe it is a bad idea to make a production not work when being run on emulators (because of the thinx you guys have said).

But we can all agree that emulators sucks :), so some kind of emu-protection is cool. Instead of making the production crash, it would be cool if it displayed a nag-screen (like in some of the old shareware programs) when being run on an emulator, saying f.e. "emulators suck - this will look/sound lame on an emulator - run it on a real C64. (press space to start)" or something.
Just a suggestion...
2002-04-15 11:00
CreaMD

Quote: Maybe it is a bad idea to make a production not work when being run on emulators (because of the thinx you guys have said).

But we can all agree that emulators sucks :), so some kind of emu-protection is cool. Instead of making the production crash, it would be cool if it displayed a nag-screen (like in some of the old shareware programs) when being run on an emulator, saying f.e. "emulators suck - this will look/sound lame on an emulator - run it on a real C64. (press space to start)" or something.
Just a suggestion...

Very good idea CyberBrain!
2002-04-15 18:52
Rough
Account closed

Quote: Maybe it is a bad idea to make a production not work when being run on emulators (because of the thinx you guys have said).

Just a suggestion...

I dont agree that emus suck.

a) I dont have to have two computers built up all the time.

2) faster disk changing etc., general quick handling,

3) easier to maintain collection

Of course the real thing is my fav, still using emus has the mentioned advantages.

Also Haakan and the VICE crew really put a lot of effort and enthusiasm in the emulation of the C64 and I appreciate that. Look at the Amiga emulators, they mostly suck.
2002-04-15 21:12
Warbaby
Account closed

I totally agree with rOuGh.
2002-04-15 21:46
TDJ

Emulators have their use, I personally don't like watching demo's on them but when it comes to magazines they absolutely rule.

Making a emu-fuxx0r would not be my favourite way of spending time, but if Krill gets a kick out of it, so be it. Ofcourse it's nonsense to 'demand' him spending his time on something else like ntsc-fixing instead. After all, it is HIS time and he can do with it as he pleases.

Hey, where have I heard that before?

*cough*(Timewaster/Focus)*cough*

PLEASE people, just because somebody does something you don't agree with, don't go telling him what he should do. After all, you 'waste' all your time here posting stuff while you could be fixing those damn demos yourself :)

And now I go back to my 6510-Fuxx0r, which will make sure the next Focus demo runs on an emulator, but not on the real thing.

/Marco
2002-04-15 23:06
cadaver

On C64S you can possibly gain a few cycles because it isn't emulating cycles on badlines correctly?? (not completely sure, but I remember doing musicroutine-tests a long time ago and they seemed to take less rastertime on C64S) Also, there were some bugs with the CPU flags & bit shift instructions. Because of this, sprites flew around the screen in weird fashion when I was testing MW3 on it for fun - then at some point the loaderpart refused to work altogether. :)
2002-04-17 10:12
T.M.R
Account closed

Quote: On C64S you can possibly gain a few cycles because it isn't emulating cycles on badlines correctly?? (not completely sure, but I remember doing musicroutine-tests a long time ago and they seemed to take less rastertime on C64S) Also, there were some bugs with the CPU flags & bit shift instructions. Because of this, sprites flew around the screen in weird fashion when I was testing MW3 on it for fun - then at some point the loaderpart refused to work altogether. :)

i've noticed a few very interesting reactions when fucking with $d011 - i'd need to experiment with them a little more to see what they can do... =-)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Knight Rider/TREX
Guests online: 124
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)