Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Defilus ! (Registered 2024-10-04) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Best C64 Demo Ever?
2008-10-29 19:03
Burglar

Best C64 Demo Ever?

Now that Edge of Disgrace is out, I thought everybody would agree that this is the best c64 demo ever released.

Though, judging from comments here (and on pouet), there seem to be a couple ppl disagreeing. Yet only few actually state their favorites.

So, if you don't think EoD is the best, which one is and why?

... 27 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2008-10-31 09:31
A Life in Hell
Account closed

contraversial opinions comics: EOD is an amazing demo, and I loved watching it a few times, but somehow on more repeated I find royal arte to still tbe most enjoyable c64 demo ever.
2008-10-31 09:35
Mace

We all know Edge of Disgrace reached #1 at X-2008, where the "crème de la crème" of the scene was present.
It's also at the top of the CSDb charts and everybody talks about it.

Why would you want to ask for more confirmation?

This said, I'm not entirely sure I find this Teh Bestest D3mo Ev0r. It's just not fair to compare today's releases with those from the past.

I still find It's Movin' a very good demo, placed in its time.
It would be strange if the scene hadn't evolved and wouldn't be able to come up with something better today.

Let's just stop the hype and move on... if possible ;-)
2008-10-31 10:41
Optimus

Two demos I enjoy most than everything and EOD are Soiled Legacy and Insomnia. I like more Soiled Legacy because there is a great variety of newschool effects very well done, one screen after the other showing a quite different effect that is very well done, unlike the repetition of zoomers and plasmas in EOD (although there were enough other good things to see). Well, with Insomnia you could say that they reuse the same effects at places and doesn't have the variety but there is a flow and music that I really love in this one! I enjoy it's music more than EOD even though I like the EOD music too (at some places it's uplifting).

Objectively speeking EOD cannot be compared with anything. But personally. But subjectively everyone has his own favorites. Anyone would agree that the two demos I mention suck in comparison to EOD. But I enjoy it more watching them. Although I start to appreciate EOD more each time I watch it and I think it had made it in my favorites list too.
2008-10-31 10:42
Puterman
Account closed

I like being surprised, to see new kinds of effects, rather than better versions of old ones. If it's well implemented, that's great, but to see something that feels fresh is the most important to me. I also like my demos a bit dirty and unpolished.

It's a bit hard to judge how good Edge of Disgrace is right now. I'll have to let it mature in wine cellar/torture dungeon for some time.

But some of my favorites are:

- Soul, which has some really fresh and interesting parts that felt completely new when the demo was released
- Industrial Breakdown, which was a great idea, and very well implemented
- Deus Ex Machina, mostly because it feels like they managed to change the shape of the screen in quite a few parts, which made it feel really new and creative
- Plush2k, because it felt wacky and massive, with ugly graphics and wonderfully creative effects
- Thrust Concert, for the childhood memories and the great concept
- Pretending to see the Light, because of the mood
- Digital World, because of the feeling that anything can happen, and because of the crazy music
- Bound to be Best II, mostly because of the great feeling of joy in the last part
- The Last Reactor, because it's so creative and well designed, with superb music, graphics and attitude
2008-10-31 12:26
Archmage

The demo I pop in my floppy the most often is The Wild Bunch. This was the demo that made me want to be part of the C64 scene. And a demo like EoD makes me want to stay on as a part of the scene to see what's next. So I guess different demos work in different ways depending on what you relate to them personally. I have tried to see what many here see in a demo like Deus Ex Machina but I fail miserably. It is all contextual, which is why I still think that Mental Hangover on the Amiga kicks the shit out of absolutely everything that has been released since. But I won't force anybody to agree with me.
2008-10-31 12:31
CreaMD

Archmage, check 9 & 10 of Wonderland by Censor Design.
( Wonderland IX and Wonderland X ) if you haven't yet. They are press-space demos but I think as a graphician you might find the stuff in them interesting. (and maybe not ;-). Not to speak about really nice effects.
2008-10-31 13:54
cavey

Man, I forgot to mention the stuff from Agony:

Love!

Now there's a very well designed demo imho, with nice effects and good music. But that's all IMHO :D Hehe.
I used to watch that demo over and over.
2008-10-31 17:13
Oxbow

I be taking Crest Avantgarde with me to a deserted island..
2008-10-31 18:40
Radiant

Avantgarde is bloody brilliant! My favourite Crest demo for sure.
2008-11-02 17:16
Mr. Mouse

I've seen this pass by in the discussion and remembered with great nostalgia the day I first laid eye on it. Fabulous.

So I've recorded it using one of my C64s

http://www.demoscene.tv/page.php?id=172&lang=uk&vsmaction=view_..

Thrust Concert.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
grass/LETHARGY
Skate/Plush
Sychamis
REBEL 1/HF
The Shadow/Avatar
goerp/F4CG/HF