Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Eye ache
2009-07-20 20:30
Orcan

Eye ache

Hello the computer users.
I think this could be little bit offtopic but despite of it I will ask. Everyone of you uses computer almost every day. Do you have problem with your eyes? Look, in the past I was using the CRT PC monitor with 85 Hz frequency and my eyes burned. I decided to buy LCD monitor to solve my problem. Unfortunately it did solve nothing even sometimes I felt worse. I found I had to decrease brightnes and contrast almost to minimum values and it was better. Recently I programmed something for my job at home and I spent 5 hours in front of monitor every day. I won't explain how I felt. Horrible. I even took my sunglasses. It was the time when was a c64 music compo I had to refuse to join only because my eyes. OK, now to the point. Do anybody of you have LCD monitor with LED backlight and the similar issue as mine? Is it better to look at LEDs instead of looking to neon tube?
Thx for answer

... 2 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-07-20 22:07
Orcan

Devia:
Probably you are right. I should have an eye examination. BUT... my sister had the same problem and the doctor said to use artificial tears. Yes it was little bit better but this was not absolute solution. When I read a book I dont have any problem. Yes you are definately right with an ambient light but I am looking for permanent soultion because sometimes I spent in front of monitor 8 hours at my job and some more hours at home. And of course I want to do a music on c64 but sometimes I cant because I say to myself it will hurt. Unfortunately my job and my hobby is about computer. Mmmmm, bad.

THX
2009-07-20 22:17
hollowman

I had problems with head and eye ache which turned out to be at least partly caused by bad eye sight. I have gotten glasses but I've also increased the DPI of the operating system and web browser
I use a 24" screen both at work and at home but at work I have turned it down to 1600x1200 while I use 1920x1200 at home. I also had to change the brightness settings at work.
Don't know what the difference actually is between the two setups as I spend almost as much time in front of both but for some reason the one at work isn't as easy on my eyes.
2009-07-20 22:19
SIDWAVE
Account closed

1) get eyes checked, if needed, use glasses
2) set contrast/light to middle/neutral
3) tilt monitor 15 degrees backwards, so the screen goes a bit upwards
4) sit 40-70 cm from the screen
5) adjust the height, so the upper edge of the screen lines with the top of your head, meaning you always look a bit downwards on the screen
6) draw the curtains, dont get any weird light on the screen
7) place any lamps, behind the monitor

2009-07-20 22:36
Orcan

At first thx a lot for all replies.
Secondly lets go back to this point: Dont you think the LED backlight is less harmful then neon light backlight in my LCD monitor? Can't be there a harmful radiation from a neon tube?
2009-07-20 23:02
Cruzer

The only eye problem I've had was a few years back when I discovered that I was starting to lose the ability to focus on things far away, probably because I was always staring into a screen, and thus never training the long distance sight. Things on a distance started becoming blurry and even double in some cases. But I trained it away with some exercises where I switched between focussing on something close and far away. And since then I have done this regularly to keep the focusing muscles in the eye from becoming sloppy.
2009-07-21 08:53
Skate

My eyes are totally trash. They were -10.25 -10.75 (near sighted) a few years ago. I don't know and don't wanna know how much worse they are now.

In my country, army service is not optional. Because of my eyes, they didn't even accept me to the army. Actually I wasn't willing to go either, specially while my wife was pregnant ;)

My advice is to take care of your eyes as much as you can. I never cared about my eyes, I spent 10-20 hours in front of the screen and now there is no turning back for me. I also have %20 of vision loss. Even if I have a surgery, I can never see like a healty man. Also my retina isn't tick enough for a surgery. See how lucky I am :)
2009-07-21 09:32
Conrad

Well, back then I only had those old tube TV's for the C64 and games consoles, and I started to squint because of that, probably because it was an old 24'' from the 80's and was quite close to my face. I ended up wearing glasses because of that (only when at computers though). We also bought one of those screens that covers over the actual tube in order to reduce TV radiation getting to your eyes.

Today my eyes have improved a bit, now that I'm using an LCD screen... and also I'm not at the machine 24/7 these days, once you realise that there's more to life than just computers. :)
2009-07-21 10:43
ready.

once the doctor told that, if you spend a lot of time looking at close things, like reading or computer work, it is important have your eyes look at distant things also.

Usually bike riding or walking in the country side, where everything moves slowly does good for me, relaxes my eyes a lot after 8-10 hours work in the office.

2009-07-21 14:35
Orcan

Ready:
Exactly. Now I am taking the pram with my 3 months old daughter and go walking :)
2009-07-22 06:53
ready.

yeah, I also go with the pram or with the bicycle trailer to take around my 1 year old daughter :)
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
grass/LETHARGY
deetsay
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Alakran_64
REBEL 1
DuncanTwain