Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Using old SIDs for new games - opinion?
2009-07-25 12:33
NecroPolo

Using old SIDs for new games - opinion?

I was just wondering...

There are some new console platforms that put some old C64 games on the table again (e.g Giana Sis / Nintendo DS).

I consider the active years of C64 production as the finest era of game music history. These old SIDs deserve some afterlife.

So, let's picture that a nifty, new DS / PSP / iPhone / whatever game comes out. It has some kind of remix of a Rob Hubbard tune for example that used to be in a certain old C64 game, let's take Commando. Credits are given to the man and all the legal issues are clean.

What would be your feelings about that? Would be lame to use an old game tune in a new game that way?
2009-07-25 13:44
Oswald

would feel like cheap ripp off for me.
2009-07-25 15:04
_V_
Account closed

Legal issues are clean?

Go buck wild.

Existing objects can be whatever they want, inevitably they'll get the attention they deserve.
-- La vie, c'est la guerre des dualités.
2009-07-25 15:40
NecroPolo

Quote: Legal issues are clean?

Go buck wild.

Existing objects can be whatever they want, inevitably they'll get the attention they deserve.

I was thinking of the case when asking all permissions etc. are in order, authors are asked BEFORE the release etc-etc. The right way, giving the credit for original authors (that Timbaland completely missed and Zombie Nation almost missed).

The question is: if everything was alright considering legal matters and the music was used with permission - would it feel alright of using those music - or would feel lame?

On my part:

A direct use of the unchanged music would feel bad for me, too. (e.g. if someone just sampled the SID sounds of a tune and added that to the game). Agreed with Oswald that way.

Anyway, if I think of some fine remixed stuff on KWED, I'd prefer those instead of that typical, characterless orchestral Hollywood movie stuff that most new games have...
2009-07-25 21:08
Zyron

What are you up to? ;)
2009-07-25 21:19
Spinball

If a game is some sort of remake of an old c64 game it might be nice if also the musik is some kind of homage to the original soundtrack. but new games need new musik. of course that musik can feature some nice sid sounds. (try this one for a great example: http://jng.rakeingrass.com/ )
2009-07-25 21:33
_V_
Account closed

Quote: I was thinking of the case when asking all permissions etc. are in order, authors are asked BEFORE the release etc-etc. The right way, giving the credit for original authors (that Timbaland completely missed and Zombie Nation almost missed).

The question is: if everything was alright considering legal matters and the music was used with permission - would it feel alright of using those music - or would feel lame?

On my part:

A direct use of the unchanged music would feel bad for me, too. (e.g. if someone just sampled the SID sounds of a tune and added that to the game). Agreed with Oswald that way.

Anyway, if I think of some fine remixed stuff on KWED, I'd prefer those instead of that typical, characterless orchestral Hollywood movie stuff that most new games have...

Of course. When I asked, "Legal issues are clean?", it was rhetorical to confirm your stated premise. My next statement, "Go buck wild.", then reflects my opinion, as in, "do whatever you want".

If everything is legal, you can use direct, original SIDs to your heart's content, remix them, sample from them, play them backwards or put them through a shredder. It doesn't matter as the bases are legally covered.
2009-07-25 23:00
dalezy

i got informed that one of my sids got used in a game that wasn't even done on and for the c64 at all.
deal? not too big i'd say.
2009-07-26 02:08
NecroPolo

Quote: Of course. When I asked, "Legal issues are clean?", it was rhetorical to confirm your stated premise. My next statement, "Go buck wild.", then reflects my opinion, as in, "do whatever you want".

If everything is legal, you can use direct, original SIDs to your heart's content, remix them, sample from them, play them backwards or put them through a shredder. It doesn't matter as the bases are legally covered.

Aw... I completely misunderstood "Go Buck Wild". :D

Sorry for over-explanation!
2009-07-26 02:22
NecroPolo

Quote: What are you up to? ;)

Just wondering ;)

RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
hedning/G★P
Nordischsound/Hokuto..
Matt
csabanw
jcompton
Guests online: 56