Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > iPhone c64 emu pulled from appstore
2009-09-09 18:30
Burglar

iPhone c64 emu pulled from appstore

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/C64/news.asp?c=15432

stupid apple huggers

c64 basic must be a major threat to the world and beyond. kinda shows how apple handles stuff...
2009-09-09 18:34
chatGPZ

from a security viewpoint they are totally right about what they are doing :)
2009-09-09 21:54
d0c

its pulled becouse you can load your own d64 with the games you want. now they loses $5 on each of the shit games they offer...
2009-09-09 22:03
iAN CooG

I don't see the problem, avoid apple crap!1
2009-09-10 05:44
Adam

Quote: its pulled becouse you can load your own d64 with the games you want. now they loses $5 on each of the shit games they offer...

If you already own the original disks where your D64 images come from then I really don't see what Apple's problem is except that they can't sell software to us that we already own or what can also be hunted down here on CDSB or anywhere else on the net. I'd like the day to come where Apple encouraged 'open source' software and hardware development but I won't hold my breath for that day to come anytime too soon!! :)) lol!

Steve Jobs had a liver trasnplant. This was his 'secret' medical condition - he was reportedly very ill and now he is encouraging more people to become organ donors, just in case he needs more 'donor' parts I guess.. :)
2009-09-10 05:48
JackAsser

Quote: from a security viewpoint they are totally right about what they are doing :)

Please enlighten me... because I really don't see the security benefits from not allowing emulators. How can they be of more harm than any other application?

It's like comparing allowing java applets vs. whatever general plugin. Imo the applet, even though it has security problems is by far more secure than some random plugin.

But then again, when it comes to cases like this I simply haven't read my homework so I'm sure I'll be hit with tons of counter arguments. :)
2009-09-10 06:26
Adam

Quote: I don't see the problem, avoid apple crap!1

I agree, mainly went it comes to Ipods and Iphones. Its all about how much money Apple and their partners (telecommunication companies, record labels and software developers) can milk from all of their users. Everyone wins - except the end user.
2009-09-10 06:43
Mr. SID

As I already mentioned on IRC, none of you should be concerned about this. This emulator is not targeted at sceners at all.
Here is someone (Stuart Carnie, quite a nice guy actually) who's trying to come up with a completely legal way of offering C64 games to an audience who has not considered C64 gaming at all for 25 years.
It's about broadening the spectrum, because 50 million iPhone/iPod users is a huge potential audience.
People who get reminded that they liked C64 stuff back in the 80ies, might come back and actively pursue other (i.e. free) emulators or maybe even the real thing. :-o

The whole thing is very similar to the C64 emulator on the Wii virtual console. No one complained about that one not offering any free games.

As much as I like pirated games and free open-source emulators, I also have to respect someone trying to get all the licensing deals in order. It's a noble effort and doesn't take anything away from anybody. Of course there are people involved who want to make money.

Now, Apple not being able to distinguish between a virtual machine and emulation of a different platform is a whole different story. There are lawyers involved, which means it's not funny. Those people have no idea about the technical details.
2009-09-10 07:30
MagerValp

1. Allowing emulators, virtual machines, and scripting languages means that Apple loses the ability to review and approve what runs on the device. If they wanted that, they wouldn't have the current approval policy.

2. Allowing users to run code on the device opens up a LOT of code paths that have to be reviewed for security. Savegame and tiff exploits on consoles should be plenty of proof for that.

3. Since Apple approves everything that runs on the device, allowing users to run unlicensed software in an emulator exposes Apple to all sorts of legal liability. The potential income from emulator sales is nowhere near the cost of the lawsuits that will follow (regardless of if they'll win or not).

This is clearly and unambiguously stated in the developer documentation, and if you don't approve, don't develop iPhone apps, and don't buy the phone. There are plenty of other phones and development platforms to choose from.
2009-09-10 14:24
Stainless Steel

Quote:
There are plenty of other phones and development platforms to choose from
AMEN!
2009-09-10 23:03
Burglar

Quote:
There are plenty of other phones and development platforms to choose from

yes, but they're not as shiny yet :S

anyway, its true, I try not to buy anything that doesnt give full control over the hw, so no, I didn't get an iPhone.

really

come on

ps mrsid: they just want to make more and more money on free services
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
A3/AFL
Mason/Unicess
Icon/TRIAD
Sokratekk
bugjam
Sentinel/Excess/TREX