Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #218343 : E2IRA
2022-08-28 09:06
wacek

Release id #218343 : E2IRA

The highest level of admiration is imitation ;)
Joker guys made our day at Xenium with this one!
https://youtu.be/kl8dH7ooRyU
2022-08-28 09:18
Krill

Worth the long wait for precalc before the animation playback kicks in. =)
2022-08-28 10:21
F7sus4

It looks like the old discussion got conveniently wiped.

Anyway, nice to see this one. Might be a good enough reason to grab ZX emu for the very first time ever.
2022-08-28 12:09
iAN CooG

It's not "wiped", just closed
Release id #218343 : E2IRA
use the search field before whining.
2022-08-28 15:25
Krill

Conveniently hidden, then. :)
2022-08-28 19:24
wacek

@Krill, did you manage to look under the hood how Dalthon is doing that? It's actually quite interesting :)
2022-08-28 23:16
Krill

Quoting wacek
@Krill, did you manage to look under the hood how Dalthon is doing that?
Didn't try. :) What do you mean, specifically?

I wonder why it 8-ish KB, though, and not significantly smaller than that. Gives me the suspicion that not everything is fully calculated at init-time (but some animation-relevant data coming with the executable already).
2022-08-29 00:33
wacek

Well, he converted each frame into 2d vector data (by hand :), meaning the shapes and the stars coordinates. Then upon runtime, he is drawing the frames with vector lines, filling them up, then making them into 8x8 tiles (!) and storing into upper memory. Finally, the tiled screens are played back :)
2022-08-29 12:46
Krill

Okay, not so impressed any more now. =)
2022-08-29 13:41
wacek

Hahah, why am I not surprised ;)
2022-08-29 15:40
ChristopherJam

Ahahaha that's excellent.
2022-08-29 20:42
F7sus4

Be civil, guys. :-)
2022-08-29 22:16
Jammer

Quoting F7sus4
Be civil, guys. :-)

LOL! <3
2023-03-28 10:47
4gentE

This is a reply to the renewed discussion in prod's comments which got closed, but existing comments didn't get migrated here, so it may look odd.

Anyway, the discussion was about something being or not being real-time. But what exactly qualifies as real-time I ask? I mean, if LUTs are being used for some effect, is it really real-time? Should it be considered real-time? How many true real-time stuff is C64 capable of anyway? I'm not sure what to think, so I'm asking.
2023-03-28 10:53
wacek

Pretending best zoom4 demos from the 90s do not have precalculated stuff and LUTs is fucking retarded.

So is creating artificial personal standards of what is a demo and what is not, and then complaining publicly that what is out there is not complying to that self-created standard.

10 months of butthurt and counting.

Jesus fucking christ people.
2023-03-28 10:59
Krill

Quoting 4gentE
Anyway, the discussion was about something being or not being real-time. But what exactly qualifies as real-time I ask? I mean, if LUTs are being used for some effect, is it really real-time? Should it be considered real-time? How many true real-time stuff is C64 capable of anyway? I'm not sure what to think, so I'm asking.
Filling up the available memory with tables and other precalced data before thinking about optimisation is the standard approach for any demo effect.

In my book, realtime vs animation boils down to how many degrees of freedom there are for rendering.

The many degrees of freedom in a real-time effect (as opposed to the one DOF with animation) make the difference.

Some demos/effects come with a user-mode to interrupt the streamlined trackmo presentation and play around with a joystick.

That said, E2IRA is a great demo, no matter the technical details. =)
Anyone complaining about animation should provide similar effects, but in real-time.
2023-03-28 11:05
wacek

Quoting Krill
Anyone complaining about animation should provide similar effects, but in real-time.

This, or STFU.
2023-03-28 11:46
4gentE

Quoting Krill
In my book, realtime vs animation boils down to how many degrees of freedom there are for rendering.

I can totally subscribe to that book.

Quoting Krill

Word.

Quoting Krill
Some demos/effects come with a user-mode to interrupt the streamlined trackmo presentation and play around with a joystick.

Hard to do nowadays, since interactivity, even of the sort of 'press space to advance the mega-demo' fell out of grace at the parties (understandably so) in favor of the trackmo format.

Anyway that's my 2c, but then again I'm a literal nobody...
2023-03-28 11:53
Krill

Quoting 4gentE
Quoting Krill

Hard to do nowadays, since interactivity, even of the sort of 'press space to advance the mega-demo' fell out of grace at the parties (understandably so) in favor of the trackmo format.
The point is to showcase the realtimeness by interactivity to inquiring minds at home, not during the party presentation.
This is entirely orthogonal to the trackmo format and thus can be mixed.
2023-03-28 13:16
Jammer

Not to mention, animation is not easier or less painful to write than 'math' ;) The only benefit is that once written good infrastructure for animation can be quite easily reused. But this wasn't actually the case for E2IRA as there was always some additional element included which required customized effort.
2023-03-28 13:36
Raistlin

Quoting Oswald
So for you two a "painting" made by sending a prompt to DALL-E, wins over a true painting, because you cant tell the difference just by looking at it.

You seem to miss the point. The tunnel from Bromance that you mention isn't a good example - it's lossy-packed so, of course, you can see that it's an anim. It still looks fantastic though..

But anyway.. if you show me two absolutely identical pictures, one drawn on screen using some fancy math and another that's just a PNG.. yeah, you're right, I can't tell the difference just by looking. But then neither can anyone - because they're the exact same picture.

Quoting Oswald
No magic for me in packing down animations to small sizes, sorry. C64 scene was always about doing shit realtime, and for me will always will be.

I just checked the code in Star Wars Demo's Flip Disk part and, hats off to you, I never realised that that wasn't an animation.. and now it makes sense to me why there are so few frames... it looks like 30-32 frames..? Which would be 15-16 if you'd used D011/D018 trickery to handle mirroring.

In a coding competition, I could understand the effort. For a demo competition like X, being brutally honest, I don't .. hats off to you, as I say.. but a precomputed animation could've been a lot easier, could've looked much better .. and maybe it would've left you enough time to code a Star Wars scroller for that demo..? ;p

Summary:

Do what you like. If you like to code these things, and allow someone else to more easily show a smoother version, go for it. There are no rules about how C64 demos should be made - regardless of your quoted comments ;-)
2023-03-28 14:08
Krill

Quoting Raistlin
In a coding competition, I could understand the effort. For a demo competition like X, being brutally honest, I don't
Which is why there should be a limitation to 2 disk sides (along with a duration limitation of 15 minutes). =)
2023-03-28 14:30
Raistlin

Quote: Quoting Raistlin
In a coding competition, I could understand the effort. For a demo competition like X, being brutally honest, I don't
Which is why there should be a limitation to 2 disk sides (along with a duration limitation of 15 minutes). =)

Woah there.. we're currently on 8 disk sides and 45mins for our X demo. Let's hold off any rule changes until X25...
2023-03-28 16:32
chatGPZ

+1 for the 2 disksides limit. I rather see a good animation than some boring realtime shizznit - but still filling an entire disk with animation (or samples) is just meh

Quote:
C64 scene was always about doing shit realtime, and for me will always will be.

It never was. There always were animations. A ton of demos from back in the days eg have those "raytracing" parts - and ppl went wild over them.
2023-03-28 16:48
F7sus4

To claim that displayed pre-rendered animation is just as meaningful code wise as real-time effects is pretty close to denying the very reason why demoscene even started to exist.
2023-03-28 16:58
chatGPZ

You mean swapping koalas and tunes on compunet?

(It'd be interesting to know how long the demoscene existed until something like a rotating cube (in realtime) showed up)
2023-03-28 17:32
F7sus4

I do remember quite vividly how groups attempting to sneak FLIC/AVI files (in order to mimic some uber-code effects) into their demos were called like in the late 90s/00s. I won't use the word (everyone already knows it), yet it's the very same thing again, here, 25 years later, in a larger scale. It is what it is no matter how many times anyone will attempt to present black as the new white. (I enjoy the logic backflips performance, though.)
2023-03-28 17:42
chatGPZ

Quote:
in the late 90s/00s

But it was - and is - done *all the time*

And indeed the killer argument still stands: If that bothers you, just make those things in realtime.
2023-03-28 18:23
wacek

F7sus4, for a moment I will act if you had no personal grudge towards me ;), and in a civil way ask you to point out those >Commodore 64< demos in the 90s/00s that were trying to sneak AVI files as killer effects and were called lame. Thanks.

I know you are not a C64 coder (I hope you remember how do I know that), but let me just suggest to consider that maybe you do not entirely grasp that there is indeed some skill in making animations on a computer with such a tiny memory and slow processor. Mind you, no one (at least I never) suggested it is more difficult than realtime efforts, but hey, maybe there is still some skill and difficulty in that which can be - if not appreciated, then at least somewhat respected, hmm?

I also don't remember anyone calling 242 and/or SOTA lame. And that's on a computer with far superior memory and CPU capabilities than C64. I personally think if one day someone codes a mp4/avi player on C64, he will be a coding god to most... ;)
2023-03-28 18:40
wacek

And hey, the anonymous downvoting is always appreciated :) an expected result of trying to defend against people spitting on you again.
2023-03-28 18:42
F7sus4

If ad hominem is the best answer that one can come up with (while attempting to twist it as a "grudge"), I'd advice to improve the argument instead.

If similar logic would be applied to any C64 production, no one would have any right to bash Wile Coyote converts anymore, and should treat them as if they were hand-dawn. That's how post-modern this discussion has became.

I do appreciate all the effort that was made to put E2IRA to life (especially Jammer's music which carries it on its back), but in all intellectal honesty I cannot place it next to other realtime effect-based demos - that would just be a lie.
2023-03-28 18:47
Shine

64 people -> 64 different opinions with intersections ...

I always prefered "real time effects", whatever that means exactly.

But this disco torus bashed me hard also! I never watched a demo twice a day, except this one.
2023-03-28 18:49
wacek

Quote:
If similar logic would be applied to any C64 production, no one would have any right to bash Wile Coyote converts anymore

You do get the difference between coding something by a real life person and using a gfx conversion tool, right?

Quote:
I do appreciate all the effort that was made to put E2IRA to life

I know! However you try to backflip now, I will always keep in my heart your first, genuine reactions:

User Comment Submitted by F7sus4 [PM] on 26 July 2022
[..]The demo is a milestone already and will be appreciated for all the great design it has delivered.

So it's not just Jammer's music, huh...

User Comment Submitted by F7sus4 [PM] on 4 July 2022
The absurd amounts of perfectionism put into every single frame of the demo are nothing but mindbending. There's no need to list or name the effects, since Arise reworked and reraped all of them thousands of times repeatedly leading to the ultimate form as we see conducted on the screen.

Ultimate form! Nicely put. We do appreciate it.
2023-03-28 18:51
wacek

F7sus4, so what about the list of those C64 avi demos you mentioned? Still waiting...
2023-03-28 18:53
algorithm

My opinions as below

Important to maintain the c64 scene. In a time where there is limited releases, every release regardless should be appreciated.

A good demo overall is one that looks and runs good regardless of how it got there. Perfect example is "state of the art" by spaceballs on amiga. Yes it was an animation player via vector coordinates and some bitplane layers providing the "post processing" (and some inbetweening of points between each real frame) but the final output was great. I think some people got a bit pissed off at the time due to some young teenager stealing the light from some other amiga sceners who spent a considerable amount of time tweaking and optimising their realtime code though :-)

E2ira was not just a CSAM frame import/export/playback (if it was just that, the entire demo would last 10 seconds). The demo was great, thats all that matters

Any person with some knowledge will know whether something is truly realtime or not and kudos if doing it in realtime ofcourse

Ultimately... A demo that looks and sounds good with a decent length (not a 10 second flip frame animation) is a good demo no matter how it achieves it

And as some people have said here earlier. If you want to do it in realtime, do it.
2023-03-28 18:56
F7sus4

Wacek, you have provided quotes that praise the design (yes, it is great indeed, as already said), while the current discussion is actually related to code and the amount of real-time effects in E2IRA (or rather a lack of them). That's quite a lot of whataboutism for a single attempt.
2023-03-28 19:15
wacek

Quoting F7sus4
while the current discussion is actually related to code

Sure, what I'm trying to say is: a) there is code, b) there is difficulty and effort there, yet you keep comparing the code of this demo to effortless gfx wiring, which for me - sorry, not to get personal - means you don't get it.

Also, that demo list please, because you keep avoiding the subject. So, should I understand your withdraw your statement on that, or we will get some meat on that bone?
2023-03-28 19:17
Digger

Good demo will always be a good demo. Regardless if it's animated or not. Some things are and some aren't. Good art will always be a good art.
What counts for me is novelty, freshness, challenging ideas etc.
E2IRA doesn't lack these.
2023-03-28 20:12
hedning

Some jerk off to a good experience, some to plain code pr0n, others to phat ass gfx and/or music. A good demo for me does not mean it will fulfill your specific kink.
2023-03-28 20:13
F7sus4

Quoting Wacek
Sure, what I'm trying to say is: a) there is code, b) there is difficulty and effort there, yet you keep comparing the code of this demo to effortless gfx wiring

It does not mean that no effort was made or that E2IRA presents no artistic value whatsoever. I personally share the conclusion that coding an animation player is not equally impressive as compared to realtime effects which the very same pre-made animation would present. It was already done with REU stuff. I think Brush already made good points before, and the best that can be done is to perceive E2IRA as a newschool collage of techniques, interesting in its very own niche, yet not something that could be placed between other purely realtime-calculated demos. Whether that is a bad thing or not is a matter of what criteria the recipient decides to focus on.
2023-03-28 20:35
wacek

You lost me on REU stuff. You are really putting in the same bag: a nuvie player or a demo playing unmodified frames from extended memory in a ping-pong fashion to a demo using partial frames and in most cases modifying them on the fly (I will not dare to use the forbidden word) using stock hardware. Let's stop here.

Quote:
yet not something that could be placed between other purely realtime-calculated demos

Brush did not say this, nobody except one person said this. Not one person on Amiga is saying 242 and SOTA are separate category of demos not worthy to be listed along side Friday At Eight or Desert Dream. On a hardware where doing a player is actually far more easier due to memory and cpu power.
A demo is a demo. It's not me trying to twist the definitions in postmodernistic fashion - you are doing that to fulfill your personal "kink", sorry.
2023-03-28 22:35
Oswald

Quote: Quoting Oswald
So for you two a "painting" made by sending a prompt to DALL-E, wins over a true painting, because you cant tell the difference just by looking at it.

You seem to miss the point. The tunnel from Bromance that you mention isn't a good example - it's lossy-packed so, of course, you can see that it's an anim. It still looks fantastic though..

But anyway.. if you show me two absolutely identical pictures, one drawn on screen using some fancy math and another that's just a PNG.. yeah, you're right, I can't tell the difference just by looking. But then neither can anyone - because they're the exact same picture.

Quoting Oswald
No magic for me in packing down animations to small sizes, sorry. C64 scene was always about doing shit realtime, and for me will always will be.

I just checked the code in Star Wars Demo's Flip Disk part and, hats off to you, I never realised that that wasn't an animation.. and now it makes sense to me why there are so few frames... it looks like 30-32 frames..? Which would be 15-16 if you'd used D011/D018 trickery to handle mirroring.

In a coding competition, I could understand the effort. For a demo competition like X, being brutally honest, I don't .. hats off to you, as I say.. but a precomputed animation could've been a lot easier, could've looked much better .. and maybe it would've left you enough time to code a Star Wars scroller for that demo..? ;p

Summary:

Do what you like. If you like to code these things, and allow someone else to more easily show a smoother version, go for it. There are no rules about how C64 demos should be made - regardless of your quoted comments ;-)

star wars flip disk should have been a scroller, it wasnt made for that part or demo, just ended up in there, because I lost my motivation to finish it.

also its not 30-32 frames of animation it always has the "correct" perspective, regardless of X pos. Also it can display any "font texture" not just that raster shade. I whish you good luck at making it better smoother as an animation :)
2023-03-29 11:21
Dano

People whining about the demo should rather think about why they were not clever enough to do it like this.

A demo is there to entertain an audience as good as it can.

If one demo is coderporn the coders will appreciate.

If a demo just pleases the eyes and earn way more people will love and rewatch that demo.

In an audience only coders care if the demopart was 5 or 100 blocks long on disc.

Now people, go and make demos about it.
2023-03-29 11:36
Krill

Quoting Dano
People whining about the demo should rather think about why they were not clever enough to do it like this.

A demo is there to entertain an audience as good as it can.
Otoh i can understand the frustration of some coders when significant parts of the audience can easily be deceived into thinking it's real-time, or that there's actual MP3 playback on vanilla C-64.

On the other other hand it's also somewhat disappointing to see that some coders don't believe in the 9th sprite, which is very real. =)
2023-03-29 12:29
Oswald

So a picture must come with workstages, prooving that it was done out of pure skill of the pixeler himself only. No copy, no wiring, no retouching, thats lame!

Also music copied is frowned upon

... but how about coders ? oh yes, no skill should be involved here, just do some stupid animations all what matters is entertainment of the crowd, they dont know how it was done anyway.

so why not apply this latter principle also to music and gfx ?
2023-03-29 14:06
4gentE

So then, don't you think it's easier for someone to just disassemble and snatch other coders super-duper real-time code than mess around with perhaps original animation packing code? No one asks coders for "workstages" i.e. source code...

IMHO work stages are bullshit anyway.
2023-03-29 14:29
wacek

Quoting Krill
On the other other hand it's also somewhat disappointing to see that some coders don't believe in the 9th sprite, which is very real. =)

I was thinking back in the Panoramic demo times :) when the displayed/claimed 9th sprite was NOT a 9th sprite.
2023-03-29 14:33
wacek

Quoting Oswald
So a picture must come with workstages, prooving that it was done out of pure skill of the pixeler himself only. No copy, no wiring, no retouching, thats lame!

This is not happening in this scene, you must be fucking joking.

Quote:

WHAT? This is also not happening, not at parties, cover compos on CSDb, again - no idea what scene you are describing, not this one.
2023-03-29 14:46
wacek

Quoting Oswald
... but how about coders ? oh yes, no skill should be involved here

There was always a requirement that the code should be genuine and not ripped*, but the requirement you are now trying to impose is not something that has any historical background and merit. "Fucking Horizon lamers, with their lame raytracing balls in The Last Tracktor! If anybody believes this is real, the demo should be disqualified". WHAT.

*which is actually MORE than is required from gfx and music, where instruments ripping and wiring is happening all the time, and the most admired artists are doing it. DOH.
2023-03-29 14:58
Oswald

This is not happening in this scene, you must be fucking joking.

Quote:

WHAT? This is also not happening, not at parties, cover compos on CSDb, again - no idea what scene you are describing, not this one.

There are pictures released with workstages all the time, there was that website "art that ISNT" collecting scene pictures, and the originals they were copied off side by side. Laughing off the copiers.

So we have moved away from mid 90s standards when copied pictures - doesnt matter how it was done until looks cool - was ok, to the standard that only original artwork counts. While on the code side we are moving away from expecting skill involved to doesnt matter how it is done ?

I didnt said its not happening, I'm talking about standards.
2023-03-29 15:07
Oswald

Quote: So then, don't you think it's easier for someone to just disassemble and snatch other coders super-duper real-time code than mess around with perhaps original animation packing code? No one asks coders for "workstages" i.e. source code...

IMHO work stages are bullshit anyway.

Why would I think that ? Have you ever reverse engineered code ? Do you know what you are talking about ? Ah ok checked, you are doing graphics, and giving your opinion on something you have no idea about.
2023-03-29 15:11
4gentE

@Oswald :
True. You’re right. I tap out.
2023-03-29 15:14
wacek

Quoting Oswald
There are pictures released with workstages all the time, there was that website "art that ISNT"

You cannot call it A STANDARD until the time it is a requirement when submitting works for party compos, and the fact is that the biggest C64 parties - X, Data etc - are not requiring this. So in fact, this is not a standard. On the contrary, it is more and more accepted that reference pictures are used. You cannot pretend anything else is happening. More, with the advent of AI, you will no more trace anything back to publicly available references.

We have not moved from 90s standards, if anything - we moved in the other direction.

Quote:
While on the code side we are moving away from expecting skill involved to doesnt matter how it is done ?

It used to be a standard to not reuse code in subsequent demos, so... where are we with that standard today? Did we move forward or backwards? Because I did point the reuse of code if one of the demos some years ago, do you remember the lynching that happened as a result? Not of the coder who did it, but me ;)
And again, you have personally defined what is code that requires skill (realtime), and what code does not require skill (anything that has anything to do with frames). And you are trying to impose that on others.
For me the skill is in making something new and fresh. Making the same twisters, scrollers, they are not worth more only because they are realtime, even if 90% of code to do them is available to copy from public sources. That is an example of a different viewpoint on this. The difference is I am not trying to impose my view on you as A FUCKING SCENE STANDARD.
2023-03-29 15:55
chatGPZ

one of the best threads for a while, keep it coming
2023-03-29 16:16
Oswald

There are pictures released with workstages all the time, there was that website "art that ISNT"

You cannot call it A STANDARD until the time it is a requirement when submitting works for party compos, and the fact is that the biggest C64 parties - X, Data etc - are not requiring this. So in fact, this is not a standard. On the contrary, it is more and more accepted that reference pictures are used. You cannot pretend anything else is happening. More, with the advent of AI, you will no more trace anything back to publicly available references.

We have not moved from 90s standards, if anything - we moved in the other direction.

Quote:
While on the code side we are moving away from expecting skill involved to doesnt matter how it is done ?

It used to be a standard to not reuse code in subsequent demos, so... where are we with that standard today? Did we move forward or backwards? Because I did point the reuse of code if one of the demos some years ago, do you remember the lynching that happened as a result? Not of the coder who did it, but me ;)
And again, you have personally defined what is code that requires skill (realtime), and what code does not require skill (anything that has anything to do with frames). And you are trying to impose that on others.
For me the skill is in making something new and fresh. Making the same twisters, scrollers, they are not worth more only because they are realtime, even if 90% of code to do them is available to copy from public sources. That is an example of a different viewpoint on this. The difference is I am not trying to impose my view on you as A FUCKING SCENE STANDARD.

What should I call it then, that in the scene original artwork is rated higher? Even so much so, that pixel artists show workstages for proof. Lets call it Fumbla! :)

Compos not requiring workstages doesnt disproove this, proof is workstages are uploaded many many times, without any rule requiring to do so.

"We have not moved from 90s standards, if anything - we moved in the other direction."

Strongly disagree, in 90s copying gfxers were held in high regards, not today, see above, workstages.

Effect reuse is still lame imho.

"Making the same twisters, scrollers, they are not worth more only because they are realtime"

totally boring, please dont make them realtime or not, just stop :D

"The difference is I am not trying to impose my view on you as A FUCKING SCENE STANDARD."

I am not trying to impose it on you either, ES2RA still an awesome demo in my view, only except 9 out of 10 in my eyes TECHNICALLY (code wise) it falls down to 7 knowing about the anims.

I'm not trying to lead here an ES2RA holocaust, its just triggers me, that coding needs the biggest investment time and brain wise, and by many its viewed "doesnt matter how it is done", oh okay then lets wire and retouch pictures too, doesnt matter right? :)
2023-03-29 16:19
Oswald

Quote: @Oswald :
True. You’re right. I tap out.

just for the record, reverse engineering takes often as much or more effort as coding the effect itself, some months ago I spent days figuring out how some koala stretcher works.
2023-03-29 16:23
chatGPZ

Quote:
totally boring, please dont make them realtime or not, just stop :D

I feel like that about the static anim+colorcycle type of effects. YAWN. No its not getting any less boring with open border and samples either :)
2023-03-29 17:49
ChristopherJam

fond memories of getting a standing ovation for the character animation part in Effluvium back in the day
2023-03-29 18:02
Joe

This does remind me of some of the "demo-fx" me and Ed did several years ago. For one I wanted that butterfly in "A quoi ca sert?" to animate,
I guess someone could have mapped vectors with the graphics perhaps doing it realtime, but at the time we had no knowledge of such things and
made that and the blur/out things for the intro load in "Aqua" and of course the massive animation-work for the unfinished demo back then, like
"last dance" from Encyclopedie Geometrique.

I think what inspired us to work together and in this special style was Black Mail, Modern Arts, T'Pau and Asphyxia to mention just a few groups
which still inspired in the late 90:ies, early 00:s. During the 00:ies what has really inspired myself is really the work from Wacek, Algorithm
among many more (did anyone mention Atlantis? Focus? Did anyone mention RedCrab/ Vanja), and as mentioned: The colorcycling works from Bob/Censor Design
which has been developed in so many fantastic ways it's still a powerful source. I think people can just lay down the axes and simply start doing
demos and show what will be canon in the future it will most probably both include own-made animations and real-time effects and no one will know
the difference at a party ;D

Well, they would know we don't want to see another keftale looking all-border plasma anymore, eventhought it's better than the one before, that's one thing for certain.
2023-03-29 18:27
hedning

In the end: isn't it about what you can see and experience on a C64?
2023-03-29 18:30
CreaMD

Quoting Joe
Well, they would know we don't want to see another keftale looking all-border plasma anymore, eventhought it's better than the one before, that's one thing for certain.

SinDiKat even made a (ZX Spectrum) demo about it. Released at this year's Forever Party.

Live recording (you can find other versions on Youtube but this has that authentic party feel with laugh tracks ;-):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmU-sk3gw0k
2023-03-30 09:15
wacek

Quoting hedning
In the end: isn't it about what you can see and experience on a C64?

I always thought so, just see my effect-less demos from the 90s ;)
2023-03-30 13:57
Stone

Quote: In the end: isn't it about what you can see and experience on a C64?

Indeed. Also, this idea that codepr0n only includes what happens on the C64-side of an effect only shows a lack of imagination, if you ask me.
2023-03-30 16:23
Oswald

Quote: Indeed. Also, this idea that codepr0n only includes what happens on the C64-side of an effect only shows a lack of imagination, if you ask me.

I always found it laughable when guys wrote they needed to use a pentium for precalcs or whatever, yeah sure I lack imagination I guess. Must have been really hard to precalculate, they made things on that PC that is unheard of, only to produce those precious animation frames.
2023-03-30 17:03
chatGPZ

thats how how feel when "coders" cant type "make"
2023-03-30 18:46
Wile Coyote
Account closed

'how how' eh?
2023-03-30 21:03
Krill

I dunno. If there's anything that makes at least current demos on this platform what they are, it's the vastly superior computing power on the build side, animation or not.

In other words, i'm pretty sure that demos built (and developed) on C-64 exclusively would be a lot less impressive than what we're used to.

By the same token, the same codec asymmetry most likely was a thing back in the 1990's and earlier, too.
2023-03-30 23:11
JackAsser

Quote: I dunno. If there's anything that makes at least current demos on this platform what they are, it's the vastly superior computing power on the build side, animation or not.

In other words, i'm pretty sure that demos built (and developed) on C-64 exclusively would be a lot less impressive than what we're used to.

By the same token, the same codec asymmetry most likely was a thing back in the 1990's and earlier, too.

Word! My "code pr0n FPP routines" are "real time" but the optimized and automagical char cruncher and memory layouter would have been almost impossible on low end machines, reusing char gfx as char pointers and what not...
2023-03-31 10:36
Oswald

I found ready made libraries for python that can be used for lossy charpacking, but to call that codepron? no mate. thats not it.
2023-03-31 10:47
Burglar

Quoting Oswald
I found ready made libraries for python that can be used for lossy charpacking, but to call that codepron? no mate. thats not it.
If code doesn't give Oswald a stiffy, it's not codepron!
2023-04-01 14:46
4gentE

I’ve read somwhere that C64 demoscene nowadays is roughly the size of PC demoscene. I don’t know if that’s correct, but I’ll pretend it is for the sake of the argument and try to express my thoughts on why I think that came to be.
I will try to express my views carefully because I wouldn’t want to insult or enrage anyone. After all these are just my views.
I have a (somewhat informed) feeling that what makes a good, succesful contemporary C64 demo (and I could be wrong here, feel free to correct me), what determines its “look and feel” is predominantly good audio-visual design. Overall visual “neatness” plus timing. So, graphic and motion design propelled by pixelling exellence in gfx department and crazy exellence in sound design/tunes. Plus neat transitions. That became the norm. All this is powered by SID and VIC-II. If, on the other hand, one looks at ZX or Atari 8bit demos, they are mostly essentially different. For one, of course they look and sound very differently having very different audio and video hardware. But the deciding factor for me saying they are “essentially different” comes from the observation that they mostly rely on code, not on audio-visual-motion design. This is not to say that there is no excellent code on C64 or no excellent audio-visual-motion design on ZX or Atari 8bit. This is just a general observation.
The situation reminds me of the late 80s/early 90s situation in Amiga/Atari ST scenes. Amiga demos pretty quickly deviated from reliance on code pr0n to reliance on audio-visual-motion design. While Atari ST demos almost never deviated to this point, they always stayed firmly relied on code pr0n.
I think this was caused by the hardware. It seems like Commodore was consistently producing home multimedia machines, while the rest were producing generic (general use) home computers.
What does this long rant have to do with the topic you ask? Well, I can feel this misunderstanding is at the core of the whole argument. The goalposts for C64 demos have moved, just like it was with the Amiga back then. Some people feel that the goalposts should never have moved. They feel this is unfair. So they have their own intimate goalposts which are now increasingly getting out of sync with general C64 public.
And demos in essence ARE audio-visual artifacts. Audio-visual stimuli are the language of the output. Code, while being absolutely essential, is the input. Only Cypher from that movie (you know which one) can really “see” code. But that’s only a movie. So I think it’s natural that demos get evaluated mainly on merit of their output..
Please excuse me for writing this boring ass “essay” that could sound like ChatGPT-produced garbage, comrades. The C64 scene does not need a “culture war”. Nor a “hardscience” vs “softscience” dispute.
2023-04-01 15:25
Krill

"Codepr0n" is still very much a thing on C-64, but with the added requirement of top-notch graphics, sound, and overall presentation.

This may make the amazing code stand out less, but it's still there.

On the other hand, there are more and more artists in the C-64 scene who want their creations to be featured in demos, such that the coders cannot keep up with producing "codepr0n".
Then you get more of the kind of demo with outstanding production values in the art department, but maybe 1 or 2 exciting effects.

It's similar in the Amiga scene, but the relative shortage of coders is a lot more dire over there.
2023-04-01 18:40
chatGPZ

Quote: 'how how' eh?

Isnt there some shitty picture waiting to be converted?
2023-04-01 18:50
vincenzo

Quote: "Codepr0n" is still very much a thing on C-64, but with the added requirement of top-notch graphics, sound, and overall presentation.

This may make the amazing code stand out less, but it's still there.

On the other hand, there are more and more artists in the C-64 scene who want their creations to be featured in demos, such that the coders cannot keep up with producing "codepr0n".
Then you get more of the kind of demo with outstanding production values in the art department, but maybe 1 or 2 exciting effects.

It's similar in the Amiga scene, but the relative shortage of coders is a lot more dire over there.

It was the same on PC in the mid-late 90's too. Demos become more artistic (more focus on design, story, flow, etc.) where code doesn't play such a big role because "we've already seen all the effects" so let's make something different. This is where I see 2 possible direction on the C64 too:
1. codepr0n, go well beyond the possibilities but who will appreciate the same effect with 1 frame faster every time? only coders will.
2. try something different, be more artistic and just ignore haters who say "there's no code in your demo"

There's no point of arguing which one is better because each direction is valid, and combining the 2 sides would be the ultimate best: make artistically and technically good demos, don't be afraid to change your mindset and be open for demos that are not conventional.
2023-04-01 19:35
Oswald

Quote: It was the same on PC in the mid-late 90's too. Demos become more artistic (more focus on design, story, flow, etc.) where code doesn't play such a big role because "we've already seen all the effects" so let's make something different. This is where I see 2 possible direction on the C64 too:
1. codepr0n, go well beyond the possibilities but who will appreciate the same effect with 1 frame faster every time? only coders will.
2. try something different, be more artistic and just ignore haters who say "there's no code in your demo"

There's no point of arguing which one is better because each direction is valid, and combining the 2 sides would be the ultimate best: make artistically and technically good demos, don't be afraid to change your mindset and be open for demos that are not conventional.

its not like coderporn can only be the same effects always a bit faster. coderporn and good design can go hand in hand. (hello BoOze ;). I am against this idea that it really doesnt matter how it was done, then just do animations for youtube, what does it matter if it wasnt done for c64 ? :P Something must matter.
2023-04-01 19:41
chatGPZ

Kind funny how the arguments are so similar to what was said when discussing how using libraries and crossassemblers for making c64 demos is lame - with Graham, 30 years ago :)
2023-04-01 19:45
Oswald

Quote: I’ve read somwhere that C64 demoscene nowadays is roughly the size of PC demoscene. I don’t know if that’s correct, but I’ll pretend it is for the sake of the argument and try to express my thoughts on why I think that came to be.
I will try to express my views carefully because I wouldn’t want to insult or enrage anyone. After all these are just my views.
I have a (somewhat informed) feeling that what makes a good, succesful contemporary C64 demo (and I could be wrong here, feel free to correct me), what determines its “look and feel” is predominantly good audio-visual design. Overall visual “neatness” plus timing. So, graphic and motion design propelled by pixelling exellence in gfx department and crazy exellence in sound design/tunes. Plus neat transitions. That became the norm. All this is powered by SID and VIC-II. If, on the other hand, one looks at ZX or Atari 8bit demos, they are mostly essentially different. For one, of course they look and sound very differently having very different audio and video hardware. But the deciding factor for me saying they are “essentially different” comes from the observation that they mostly rely on code, not on audio-visual-motion design. This is not to say that there is no excellent code on C64 or no excellent audio-visual-motion design on ZX or Atari 8bit. This is just a general observation.
The situation reminds me of the late 80s/early 90s situation in Amiga/Atari ST scenes. Amiga demos pretty quickly deviated from reliance on code pr0n to reliance on audio-visual-motion design. While Atari ST demos almost never deviated to this point, they always stayed firmly relied on code pr0n.
I think this was caused by the hardware. It seems like Commodore was consistently producing home multimedia machines, while the rest were producing generic (general use) home computers.
What does this long rant have to do with the topic you ask? Well, I can feel this misunderstanding is at the core of the whole argument. The goalposts for C64 demos have moved, just like it was with the Amiga back then. Some people feel that the goalposts should never have moved. They feel this is unfair. So they have their own intimate goalposts which are now increasingly getting out of sync with general C64 public.
And demos in essence ARE audio-visual artifacts. Audio-visual stimuli are the language of the output. Code, while being absolutely essential, is the input. Only Cypher from that movie (you know which one) can really “see” code. But that’s only a movie. So I think it’s natural that demos get evaluated mainly on merit of their output..
Please excuse me for writing this boring ass “essay” that could sound like ChatGPT-produced garbage, comrades. The C64 scene does not need a “culture war”. Nor a “hardscience” vs “softscience” dispute.

its not like design appeared on the c64 scene recently, it was with us since around late 80s I think. Design importance taking over code is with us since 10+ years imho. (but just a rough guess by me). I dont mind. But I do mind for these voices of "it doesnt matter how it was done". Do these guys realise that a coder's job is tenfold or more of the artists ? If it doesnt matter then wire gfx and copy music too. Doesnt matter how they were done aswell.
2023-04-01 19:47
Oswald

Quote: Kind funny how the arguments are so similar to what was said when discussing how using libraries and crossassemblers for making c64 demos is lame - with Graham, 30 years ago :)

libraries are still lame. :)
2023-04-01 19:47
Krill

Quoting Oswald
its not like coderporn can only be the same effects always a bit faster.
Yeah, Softwired was called code porn by some and fugly by others. I'm still positive it was rather fresh.

Quoting Oswald
I am against this idea that it really doesnt matter how it was done, then just do animations for youtube, what does it matter if it wasnt done for c64 ? :P Something must matter.
You should let go of the idea that animations are all you can do for C-64 demos on a ridiculously powerful build machine. =)
2023-04-01 19:59
Oswald

its not like coderporn can only be the same effects always a bit faster.
Yeah, Softwired was called code porn by some and fugly by others. I'm still positive it was rather fresh.

Quoting Oswald
I am against this idea that it really doesnt matter how it was done, then just do animations for youtube, what does it matter if it wasnt done for c64 ? :P Something must matter.
You should let go of the idea that animations are all you can do for C-64 demos on a ridiculously powerful build machine. =)

I dont have that idea Gunnar, but if it doesnt matter how it was done, what would you go for ?
2023-04-01 20:17
Krill

Quoting Oswald
I dont have that idea Gunnar, but if it doesnt matter how it was done, what would you go for ?
As for realtime vs animation on the business end, it does matter.

Animations use to come with all sorts of compression artefacts and turn-disk prompt after half a minute, and realtime uses to come with some lower-framerate penalty.

What to go for depends a lot on what is shown. Some things just aren't possible (yet) in realtime, others will always look bad as an animation.
2023-04-01 21:06
Cruzer

Another penalty for animation is that it usually loops after a short while, because 64K quickly runs out. And since it has taken a lot of time to load, it would be a waste to only show it once. So we have to watch it loop again and again. Animation is just lame*, and the same with colorcycling.

*) With a few exceptions. E2IRA had some nice ones. Still too much looping.
2023-04-01 21:49
chatGPZ

That said, when ppl have to look at your code to find out if its an animation (so they can point out in comments how lame this is), then all power to you.
2023-04-01 22:14
Frantic

The debate in this thread bears some resemblance to the philosophical debate between consequence ethics and value ethics.
2023-04-02 01:12
Raistlin

Quote:
But I do mind for these voices of "it doesnt matter how it was done". Do these guys realise that a coder's job is tenfold or more of the artists ?

1) again, you are misunderstanding what I wrote originally. I specifically said that doing real-time, without it being visibly evident that it is real-time, is stupid. So, think: more frames than animations.. or interactive controls.. etc etc. Making an animation real-time, and having only 16 or 32 frames showing, is DUMB. If it’s real-time, make that obvious. That was my point… a coder who makes a real-time effect yet doesn’t know how to make it look real-time… well… it’s like driving 350 miles to buy milk when the exact same milk was available 10 metres from your house.

2) are we going down the road of “coders do 10x more than artists”? It’s not always true. Have you seen Offence’s demos?
2023-04-02 08:28
Oswald

1. " If it’s real-time, make that obvious." ok I can live with that, I think the same.

2. Yes we are going down on that road. I havent said its always true. Most things are not true 100% of the time, still humans need time for other things than always mentioning and remembering all the rare cases. That makes us and conversations sane.
2023-04-02 11:34
Hein

The idea that coders need to do alot more work seems true, I suppose. Even though a 6 screen bitmap takes alot of time to create, art is more about taste than code. Code is absolute, there's hardly any appreciative middle ground between brilliant code and lame code, especially when it comes to demo competitions. Tough luck for coders, should have chosen another hobby.

That said, there are so many wonderful story-telling demos where the underlying code is very solid and isn't noticed at all. Coders being wingmen is a rare phenonoma, anyway.
2023-04-02 11:37
ChristopherJam

(noninteractive) demos are all basically an exercise in audiovisual compression anyway. Realtime effects just let us do more content in higher quality in less memory. It will always be a balance as to how much is precomputed (perhaps even on another machine) vs how much is generated at runtime.

Hell, even unrolled code is sometimes better created with a dedicated code generator running on c64, and sometimes easier just to generate on a 'big computer' and throw through a general purpose cruncher.

We do what we can to get something out there that looks/sounds amazing - and sometimes our judgement of what is 'good' is informed by knowing the limitations of the platform ("how the fuck did they do *that*!?"), and sometimes it's just a gut feel from the impact of the design, or the nostalgia buttons it hits.

All else is just implementation details, which is as much determined by skillset of production crew and the available time to prepare as it is by what our treasured playground is capable of doing.

I thought E2IRA was well designed, but with obvious compression artefacts. 2nd place seemed quite apt, given what it was up against.
2023-04-02 22:26
chatGPZ

Quote:
Making an animation real-time, and having only 16 or 32 frames showing, is DUMB.

Indeed. An in the type of fast paced non interactive trackmos - a surprising number of things suddenly turns out to be just a waste of time to make realtime. The times someone spends an hour playing with parameters is over :)
Quote:
The idea that coders need to do alot more work seems true, I suppose.

Plus coders are mostly replaceable - but artists are not.
2023-04-03 00:26
wacek

So, as it should be, I made a demo about it.
2023-04-03 00:36
chatGPZ

Nailed it =D
2023-04-03 01:07
Krill

Quoting wacek
So, as it should be, I made a demo about it.
Brings back memories of good old times when random folks yelled "A-NI-MAC-JA" and "TU-NEL" repeatedly during demo compos at Easter parties of old (= early naughties or so). =)
2023-04-03 11:08
chatGPZ

As long as its not a skate video.... :=)
2023-04-03 14:47
wacek

Quoting Krill
"A-NI-MAC-JA" and "TU-NEL"

Are you sure you did not mean "SKAAAN" instead of "TU-NEL"? ;)
2023-04-03 14:48
Krill

Quoting wacek
Quoting Krill
"A-NI-MAC-JA" and "TU-NEL"

Are you sure you did not mean "SKAAAN" instead of "TU-NEL"? ;)
Yes, pretty sure. I might have missed the "SKAAAN" chant, but i distinctly remember the other two. =)
2023-04-03 15:03
wacek

Quoting Groepaz
The times someone spends an hour playing with parameters is over :)

Well... the careful craft of parameters is still there. For example, the vector split part. Putting aside time used to work on the graphics, it took me a lot of time to work on the trajectories and placement. It was important because this part features realtime (ah! the forbidden word!) generation of two of the codebooks. The part features 4 vector types. The line (1) and the filled (2) are loaded in memory but that is all that there is place for. So the particles vector (3) is generated by modifying the existing line vector codebook, and the diagonal vector (4) is also built in realtime based on the filled one. It is happening as the particles vector is somewhat "stopped" on the left side (instead of flying back to the right side straight away, it bounces up and then goes back to the right on "reversed" sinus). This time is needed for the realtime calculation of the diagonal one ;)
It did take me hours to set the parameters of the trajectories and timing in a way that it seems seamless. Also, notice that the whole background processing does not slow the frame rate, as the code load is balanced properly.
Just saying - even with using frames, the parameters work is still there ;)
EDIT. Unless you meant the viewer not the creator, which now got to me ;)
2023-04-03 15:10
chatGPZ

I ment the viewer of course... of course coders will still spend a lot of time on tweaking params :)
2023-04-03 15:18
Krill

Quoting Groepaz
The times someone spends an hour playing with parameters is over :)
I'm still a fan of Graham-style user-mode option.

Eventually, someone will be idle enough to play around with parameters, and otherwise it's a good way to show realtimeness without compromising some streamlined trackmo presentation.

That said, i don't quite get why "if it's real-time, make sure to drive the point home" was brought up in the first place.
Are there good examples where a given real-time effect could have just as well been an animation?
Did some people miss out on showing the realtimeness well enough?
And if they did, maybe it was intentional?
It seems a bit like a strawman argument to me.
2023-04-03 15:20
ChristopherJam

Cheers for the insight into the vector split internals, @wacek - that part was definitely a highlight for me.

There's still so much potential for doing interesting things with vector quantized data well beyond simple video playback.

Agreed with $various about how there's not much point doing a realtime effect then only showing as much as could have been easily preanimated.
2023-04-03 15:38
chatGPZ

Quote:
Are there good examples where a given real-time effect could have just as well been an animation?

Eg lot of tunnels. Then again, those _are_ often static animation with color cycling :=)
2023-04-03 15:46
Krill

Quoting Groepaz
Quote:

Eg lot of tunnels. Then again, those _are_ often static animation with color cycling :=)
I don't think that move-table effects can be lumped together with straight animation. =)
2023-04-03 15:57
wacek

Quoting ChristopherJam
There's still so much potential

...and that should be primary focus of everyone, not that asinine and pointless discussion.
2023-04-03 15:58
Cruzer

Quoting ChristopherJam
Agreed with $various about how there's not much point doing a realtime effect then only showing as much as could have been easily preanimated.
Faster loading time, space for more on disk could be some points.
2023-04-03 16:00
chatGPZ

Quote:
I don't think that move-table effects can be lumped together with straight animation. =)

The line is blurred though. Also tunnel CAN be done as straight animation, good enough to fool AEG to come to me and ask if it is =) (Reanim8ed side2, a little over 100 frames)
2023-04-03 16:33
Boogaloo

My 2c: I am oldskool. Demos for me has been about showing c0der skillz, as in "Look! I managed to squeeze X sprites in a DYSP over a bitmap Y pixels high:", or "I made the impossible! I can scroll a bitmap *this* fast.". Realtime stuff. Like in the old days, when discovering new VIC tricks was still a thing.

Nowadays, the focus has shifted towards creating a visual experience rather than showing off crazy c0der skillz. The visual end result is more important than how it is achieved.

I'm not saying that it is necessarily a bad thing. It's just the way it is. And, for example, pulling off a nice animation that wouldn't normally fit in memory by implementing a crazy compression algorithm is still codepr0n in my book.

Still, I am usually more impressed when an effect is real time and not "just" precalculated. The goal, IMHO, is still to show off what can be done with the limited resources on the C64.
2023-04-03 17:11
ChristopherJam

Quoting Cruzer
Faster loading time, space for more on disk could be some points.

Ok yes, there is that. Also, fitting into a onefiler along with a heap of other stuff or while staying within size restrictions.

Quoting Boogaloo
And, for example, pulling off a nice animation that wouldn't normally fit in memory by implementing a crazy compression algorithm is still codepr0n in my book.

Effluvium and Jam Ball 2 both say thanks :D

Quote:
Still, I am usually more impressed when an effect is real time and not "just" precalculated. The goal, IMHO, is still to show off what can be done with the limited resources on the C64.

Agreed.
2023-04-03 20:28
wacek

Quoting ChristopherJam
Quoting Cruzer
Also, fitting into a onefiler along with a heap of other stuff or while staying within size restrictions.

You can squeeze a lot of animations into one file ;) see my „Inside” demo series ;)
2023-04-07 21:17
Carrion

CONGRATULATIONS To Whole ARISE Group And All Involved!
Fully deserved Meteoricks 2023 Winner Award for the best OLDSchool demo of 2022!
2023-04-07 21:19
Burglar

Congrats Wacek & Crew :)

best conclusion to a thread ever
2023-04-07 21:34
DKT

Congrats for Meteoriks 1st place! <3
2023-04-07 23:35
Raistlin

I came to say congrats - and see that I’m already late :-) … well deserved win, brilliant stuff.
2023-04-07 23:55
Mibri

I, for one, welcome our new Polish 'animation demo' overlords. Congrats on the Oscar lads!
2023-04-08 06:18
ChristopherJam

Yes, congratulations!

(And also yes, those Inside demos were pretty impressive too, especially for the time they were released :) )
2023-04-08 08:14
Oswald

Congrats Arise! You are one of my fave groups :)
2023-04-08 14:43
Cruzer

Congrats! The people have spoken. Animation is the future. :)
2023-04-10 08:51
wacek

Quoting Cruzer

Thanks, and no, that’s not what „the people” have spoken. I think you did not listen to the reasoning delivered by Gasman. I highly recommend you do ;)
2023-04-10 09:08
Hein

Quote: Quoting Cruzer

Thanks, and no, that’s not what „the people” have spoken. I think you did not listen to the reasoning delivered by Gasman. I highly recommend you do ;)

OMG, will this flirting never end?
2023-04-10 16:35
papapower

Congrats ! Awesome work, weak controversy : animation is good, code porn is good, what matters is pushing the limits of what can be made on the good old C64. Keep up with the nice stuff, we can’t wait to see the next releases.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
WVL/Xenon
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
DJ Space
d'Arc/Topaz Beerline
mutetus/Ald ^ Ons
grasstust/Hoaxers