Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Event id #2967 : 25Hz Music Compo 2020
2020-07-01 20:53
Jammer

Event id #2967 : 25Hz Music Compo 2020

Welcome to the first and hopefully not the last edition of 25Hz Music Compo!

Basic premise is to create a piece of music with player that updates SID registers at rate of 25Hz or to put it in other words - every 2nd frame. There are very few tunes out there playing at such slow speed but maybe it's the right time to change it? :) Here are couple of examples:

Low Frequency
Half-Funk

Compo rules:

1. No covers and remixes allowed.
2. No upper limit for playtime.
3. No limit of tunes per author but playtime of each has to be at least 2 minutes.
4. Use any editor that allows you to use such playback rate or go for custom player if you need. Goat Tracker surely offers 25Hz playback (Multispeed 0).

Good luck and have fun! <3

... 121 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2020-08-11 12:49
Jammer

Quoting booker
How about CSDb providing a way to organise compos with non-premature vote display? And options for results - ie. with standard average, and what Jammer was looking at - the square root thingy?

Gpz just stated the fact about CSDB based compos, no need for that reaction here :D BTW, it was square, not square root ;)

Not to forget - Booker, much, much thanks for making vote snapshot scripts! <3
2020-08-11 13:06
booker
Account closed

Quoting Jammer
Quoting booker
How about CSDb providing a way to organise compos with non-premature vote display? And options for results - ie. with standard average, and what Jammer was looking at - the square root thingy?

Gpz just stated the fact about CSDB based compos, no need for that reaction here

I didn't really "reacted". It would be so uber-cool if the biggest C64 site ever would make a compo function. Just that. If anyone forgot already, competitions are the absolute fundamental root (and square root) of the scene :) and... collecting the scene productions is.... just collecting the scene productions. But ofc, whatever. ;-)
2020-08-11 13:31
spider-j

Quoting booker
Changing vote from 7 to 4 just before the clock hit midnight, and back from 4 to 7 afterwards is manipulative. Yes, we know, we've been taking web snapshots :)

Ok, ok, I got it. I have now compared the snapshot / google doc with the current votes for the other participants and now I see and believe :-) Sorry, should have checked that before commenting...
2020-08-11 14:44
ChristopherJam

Hmm. I tend to scale my ratings whenever CSDb rating is being abused as a compo voting platform (ie, if everything 'deserves' between 7 and 10 I'll often stretch that out to 4-10 instead, then try and remember to rescale back a few days later), but that's as soon as I can get through all the entries, not a few minutes before voting closes.

I'm starting to see what's meant by the description of certain practices not being in good faith, much as it is a level playing field.

Interesting idea about squaring the count of each vote before doing the average, though I suspect that only works once - if it's known in advance then that just gets to be another thing for people to game.

One of these decades one of the half a dozen of us who've been contemplating setting up an external site with a proper ordering system, authenticated via CSDb log in, will get around to implementing it. Until then though, this is still the sanest approximation we have. (mumble mumble churchill on democracy mumble)
2020-08-11 14:44
F7sus4

Well, one of your MSL friends did it, as he has forgotten to turn off his anonymous votes briefly. Surprisingly, enormous amount of works (and profiles too, mine included) received noticeable hatevote influx the next morning after the compo.

No idea who came up with anonymous votes, but this is just bad idea. Yes, this was discussed million times, but it's never too late to do the right thing.

I agree with @spider-j, being able to see other votes while voting is still open significantly "encourages" micromanaging manipulation.
2020-08-11 14:53
ChristopherJam

Back to topic though,

Thanks Jammer for such an excellent concept, and many thanks to all the competitors - the entries have on the whole been extraordinarily good.

(ps, as TheRyk already intimated - clearly none of you godlike wave wranglers actually need to update SID every frame. With my coder hat on, all those cycles you used to occupy on the odd frames are taken now, sorry!)
2020-08-11 15:02
Jammer

Quoting ChristopherJam
Interesting idea about squaring the count of each vote before doing the average, though I suspect that only works once - if it's known in advance then that just gets to be another thing for people to game.)

I suspect this method might start to fail with huge amounts of votes (thousands, millions etc.) but for usual CSDb scale it seemed quite efective to my eyes.
2020-08-11 15:05
Jammer

Quoting F7sus4
Well, one of your MSL friends did it, as he has forgotten to turn off his anonymous votes briefly.

As I said, I know EXACTLY who did it, got it? ;) And believe me, I DO :D
2020-08-11 15:21
F7sus4

Quoting Jammer
I suspect this method might start to fail with huge amounts of votes (thousands, millions etc.) but for usual CSDb scale it seemed quite efective to my eyes.

What about the usual ranking system for online compos where people rank all entries from 1st to 25th without using arbitrary values, and that later is calculated by algorithm of choice?
2020-08-11 15:29
Jammer

Quoting F7sus4
What about the usual ranking system for online compos where people rank all entries from 1st to 25th without using arbitrary values, and that later is calculated by algorithm of choice?

It requires external voting forms - too much fuss for my little purpose - it's only a fun compo all in all. Subsequently, it's always less votes submitted than via regular CSDb system ;)

Excellent 25Hz banner was created by Joe - THANK YOU! <3
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Mike
jmin
Fresh
CreaMD/React
Matt
Airwolf/F4CG