Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Event id #3294 : X-2024
2023-06-06 11:36
Knight Rider

Event id #3294 : X-2024

I was having a discussion with a few guys over beers in X'2023 and the compos. I was telling about my days as OR8 pilot in the RC world where we had junior, hobby and pro categories for the races.

To make it abit more motivational the people/groups who aren't 20 members strong each with 30+ years of demo coding experience it might be worth while considering other options ?

eg. some of the ideas we discussed:

. Having a pro (ie previous winner category) and hobby section so that contributors are compared to peers of similar experience
. Splitting the voting/ranking for 1 filers from multi disk entries
. Newcomer award for those individuals or teams who never submitted to X before

... 96 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2023-06-07 09:57
Knight Rider

Quoting Burglar
was it really too hard to just read the rules? there was no mention of the word "intro" anywhere.

Sure there was, plenty of places...

. X'2023 C64 4K Intro
. Event id #3187 : X'2023 A quick clarification request for the 4k intro compo rules
. on the scs-trc.net page for X2023 the category was 4KB INTRO
. on http://vote.x also stated 4KB INTRO

and even...

Quoting Burglar
Quoting Knight Rider
I didn't see any update about the 4KB intro. It's 4KB before, or after crunching ?
see post #6, #2, #3, #4 and #5 in this thread.
2023-06-07 10:13
Burglar

Quoting Knight Rider
- X'2023 C64 4K Intro
that's how csdb mistakenly calls 4k compos, not visible until after entries get added to the event here.

Quoting Knight Rider
- Event id #3187 : X'2023 A quick clarification request for the 4k intro compo rules
just cause someone not involved with the party makes a mistake with a compotitle in a csdb post, doesn't make it a rule.

Quoting Knight Rider
- on the scs-trc.net page for X2023 the category was 4KB INTRO

Ah yes, will change for next time. The rules themselves did not mention any of the weird rules used by Didi for his crack intro competition.

Quoting Knight Rider
- on http://vote.x also stated 4KB INTRO

Incorrect, it said "4K".

Quoting Burglar
Quoting Knight Rider
I didn't see any update about the 4KB intro. It's 4KB before, or after crunching ?
see post #6, #2, #3, #4 and #5 in this thread.
[/quote]maybe read post 2 through 6 again.
2023-06-07 12:28
Krill

Quoting Burglar
Quoting Knight Rider
... I spent the whole time moaning that the 4 other ones submitted weren't intros, but 4kb demos. I was told it's not CSDB rules that are applying here...

- there are no 4K csdb rules, besides filesize.
- there was no 4K intro competition at X, there was a 4K competition.
- in PC world, 4K intro means 4K demo.
Just calling the compo "4K" is the best idea to avoid "intro" vs "demo" arguments. =)
2023-06-07 12:42
Oswald

I guess >~25 years ago I was also perplexed why size restricted demos are called intros in the pc scene, but by now I got totally used to it :) in the oldschool c64 scene intro always referred to "crack" intros, so much, crack intro also a term invented by the stupid pc guys, to differentiate their idiotic 4k intro from crack intros. its quite nuts as I think about it :)
2023-06-07 15:03
chatGPZ

Quote:
crack intro also a term invented by the stupid pc guys, to differentiate their idiotic 4k intro from crack intros.

Actually they'd call it "cracktro". "crack intro" does not exist anywhere :=)
2023-06-07 15:30
ChristopherJam

Yup, 4k Demo is well understood to refer to file size, and the rules always support that.

ICC is indeed an outlier, with its additional memory restrictions - and the "Intro" part of the compo name makes it reasonably clear that the idea is to make things that could at least theoretically share space with a much bigger payload.

I do like the idea of limiting the number of disk sides..
2023-06-07 16:34
map

Quote: Respectfully I think annual X is a bad idea. Will drain other parties, and also less megamega prods will emerge. Also: May/June? :( I would prefer autumn again. But that might be just me, working within the School year (Same for Dane and so on) makes it impossible to attend during the most stressful time of the year. I would guess it's the same for a lot of guys with kids in school.

+1

Especially what you said about the reccurence of the event.

Regarding compo rules, IMO not a single thing should be changed.

Each change will have different drawbacks, I guess.

E.g. think about limiting to a single disk side vs. having things like the Censor Rap being possible to be added into a production.
2023-06-07 18:26
CreaMD

Quote:
drain
As far as I'm concerned, I think that no organizer should complain about other parties crashing with it's dates or being held annually or anything. Yes, it's unfortunate when party dates collide, when less supported parties get less entries etc, but that's a competition, let the best win the best releases and biggest support. I'm saying that as ex-organizer of Forever Party which was always being mostly supported by local scene and surrounding countries (with notable exceptions). That's the spirit. Let the SVK, Polish, Hungarian, Czech, Austrian show what they can do, and if they don't, it's their fault that they suck at being productive and relevant in the scene on their own. Same with upcoming Arok. If we (the locals from around the area) are good enough, we should produce remarkable productions for this party to make it big and we should be able to visit it and have a good time. Let he X be the biggest and best party for as long as possible, and others should move their ass to work hard to be the second second and third. And no I'm not asslicking X-orgas butts here. Don't forget that I pissed on their stairs... 20+ years ago... and they didn't ban me for life, I'm just too lazy to go there and do it again (together with winning some decent place in the compo).

p.s.: annoucing the next party date immediately after the party has ended -> Brilliant! Can only be topped by launching registration etc. asap ;-) Waiting for it. I have put the date in my google calendar already.
2023-06-07 23:20
Cruzer

Quoting map
E.g. think about limiting to a single disk side vs. having things like the Censor Rap being possible to be added into a production.
The idea was to have separate compos for <= 1 diskside and 2+ disksides. So it's not an either/or.
2023-06-08 00:02
Wile Coyote

When it comes to demo competitions, one rule I think would make sense is: No one individual can compete in more than one entry, when it comes to creating *new work. As a result, it might stop different demo’s looking/sounding/feeling samely.

I say *new work, as it would leave for the door open for example, if a demo makes use of a .sid that has already been released. Or a demo makes use of a loader created by X. Or in the case of Next Level/Performers, the use of graphics from games previously released.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Shake/Role
Oxbow/Xenon
CA$H/TRiAD
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
MWR/Visdom
Magic/Nah-Kolor