Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Ignore User?
2021-10-08 17:57
Six

Ignore User?

How about a way to edit toxic people out of the experience? Ignore their comments, votes, forum posts, one-liners, and block them from sending PM?

... 13 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2021-10-09 20:58
Copyfault

Shine is right here, the focus went on the csdb voting system - and it took only about three postings...

So, adding something more to the discussion doesn't make it less OT, but I *have* to second this sentence from hedning:
Quoting hedning
...My suggestion is to remove votes completely from csdb and just keep on archiving.[...]
I'd add: just don't vote (as long as this "voting system" is still available)!

I'm more than sure a suitable metric for helping newcomers and guide them through the vast amount of releases will be found (and the discussion for finding one will be similar to all the voting talk, but at least it then serves a purpose).

Just my coins...
2021-10-09 20:59
Six

It's peripherally the voting system, specifically the user experience and how the community is shaped by the site.
2021-10-10 01:13
spider-j

o_O ... get a life!
2021-10-10 03:27
ws

Cum oane, be brave and be more opan about your disrespact towards eachothar. Iths okay, everybody doth it! Duh!
2021-10-10 14:55
chatGPZ

Instead of who votes what, who ignores who should be public - that'd make for some much more interesting stats :)
2021-10-10 17:43
Burglar

Nothing to See Here
2021-10-10 19:30
TheRyk

OFFtopic / voting stuff: Voting (and everything related to it) only "shapes the community" if community lets themselves being shaped by it. This place ain't no C64 Mr Rogers' neighborhood (go to Lemon if you are looking for that or to forum64.de if you prefer the same in German) and also not your C64 social medium (go to facebook if you want that). IMHO 50+/- yo ppl who call themselves sceners should be grown-up enough not to care too much about it.

BTT: Even if you have made some very harmless enemies here on CSDb, I've never seen any point in using the "Ignore" function, as you sooner or later will come to the point of ill communication, i.e. your favourite ignored enemy is involved in communications, other peeps refer to statements made by him and you don't get what it's all about due to the missing (ignored) context.

Let's stick to IGNORE topic, please - if there's much more to discuss.
2021-10-11 11:31
MagerValp

Quoting TheRyk
IMHO 50+/- yo ppl who call themselves sceners should be grown-up enough not to care too much about it.

I dunno, how about the same 50+/- yo can maybe not be toxic assholes instead? If they can't meet that rather low bar, the ignore button is a great tool. I think I prefer that over blaming the victims.
2021-10-11 12:58
chatGPZ

At this point i'd seriously like to see some examples of these "toxic assholes". Most of the time when this kind of stuff comes up, its just that someone has an unpopular opinion, and someone else gets winded up about it. Most often about his votes being "wrong" one way or another.

IMHO users shouldnt have to ignore other users to solve this problem - instead perff should help everyone to ignore the vote stats and disable votestatistics.php for the general public. 90% of constantly reoccuring csdb "problems" removed instantly.

(but still dont disable ignorestatistics.php for me please)
2021-10-11 14:14
TheRyk

I don't really see how using or not using Ignore Function is "blaming the victims". Sure age doesn't protect against folly. There have been sad cases when originally (seemingly) well-behaved and nice fellas went bananas, provoked by complete assholes, may it be via (not-so)anonymous downvoting (which hasn't got to do much with the ignore function) or other actions. However, if sb is provoked by some troll's behaviour against the rules and reacts by breaking the rules himself, and in the end both end banned or raqequit - then this is victimizing oneself or just plain stupid, not blaming victims.

If it makes anyone happy (I have doubts, e.g. it doesn't make votes of your enemies vanish), just use that Ignore Function.

Please just consider(!) not only online assholes but also some of their targets might need help that CSDb can't provide if they define happiness by what some troll states here or anywhere else on the Internet. Not only CSDb ain't kindergarten (though it feels like it sometimes), it's also not a sanatorium (though users and mods love to counsel).
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Exile/Anubis
Mr SQL
Guests online: 306
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)