Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Evaluating the moderation of CSDb
2007-09-25 09:11
Laxity

Evaluating the moderation of CSDb

I think it's time to evaluate how the moderation of CSDb is going. Good/bad?.. Anyone?

Something just struct my eye. I just saw the "moderation rules" thread (started by Oswald) being closed for no obvious reason (Ok, Steppe said - "close thread?" or something). I disagree in such an approach to moderation. The moderator should not close a thread unless it's going really bad, and warnings have been issued; furthermore I think moderators who personally participate in a discussion should be rendered powerless over moderating that particular discussion. Furthermore, when closing a thread, I think a reason for doing so should be given..

Oh, and this is not supposed to be another "bitching" topic. I'd like to call and everybody interested to state their thoughts. Good AND bad. Not just bad, please!..
2007-09-25 10:51
Stainless Steel

Sounds reasonable.

I remember being among those who called for moderation of the forums back when the nata debacle was on.

But currently i feel like the moderation is performed on the basis of each moderators personal opinions and preferences rather than on a set of transparent rules.

I might have missed it, but is there some written code of conduct for the moderators ?

2007-09-25 11:06
CreaMD

Set of transparent rules:

READ HERE:
http://noname.c64.org/csdb/help.php?section=rules (21.sep 2007)

AS for the rest. I think it is really pointless to discuss moderation. Thus it is pointless to discuss the closing of the mentioned thread.

2007-09-25 11:09
Trazan

I very much like the idea from Laxity.
Alot of threads and actions are discussed amongst the Moderators, in order to find a mutualk solution or answer.

Oswalds thread was closed by Groepaz, after request from Steppe + Oswald beeing notified about reasons for first censoring his additions.

Groepaz did also mention that we are unable to monitor every single thread and clean them out for useless entries. Do help us if you feel things are out of order!

2007-09-25 12:05
Oswald

Quote: Set of transparent rules:

READ HERE:
http://noname.c64.org/csdb/help.php?section=rules (21.sep 2007)

AS for the rest. I think it is really pointless to discuss moderation. Thus it is pointless to discuss the closing of the mentioned thread.

Creamd, what is pointless is unkept rules. Exactly what Stainless Steel said: moderation is based on personal preferences and opinions.

Rules are not kept instead decisions are taken on personal opinions, actions are taken without warnings and explanations. There are no guidelines what can you expect, my offcomment gets censored, while others are left alone, some topics gets closed when people ask for it some not. chaos. the moderator team abuses their rights instead of using them.

Trazan, strange that you able to monitor all my actions, while not other's. There was no reason also to close that other thread. There was much more requests to close the OS war topic you still refused based on personal preference.
2007-09-25 13:53
CreaMD

Quote: Creamd, what is pointless is unkept rules. Exactly what Stainless Steel said: moderation is based on personal preferences and opinions.

Rules are not kept instead decisions are taken on personal opinions, actions are taken without warnings and explanations. There are no guidelines what can you expect, my offcomment gets censored, while others are left alone, some topics gets closed when people ask for it some not. chaos. the moderator team abuses their rights instead of using them.

Trazan, strange that you able to monitor all my actions, while not other's. There was no reason also to close that other thread. There was much more requests to close the OS war topic you still refused based on personal preference.

As I said. Discussing of moderation is pointless.

So your comments got censored and you accuse moderators of abusing of their rights. What do you want to achieve? More tolerance towards provocations in release comments? Tolerance towards your comments? Total censorship of everything resembling stupid comment?

Topics like this aren't solving anything. Censoring of comments will never be completely fair and flawless process but it's far from abuse of moderator's rights.

2007-09-25 15:38
Trazan

(and not as harsch, I welcome any feedback of the Moderators work. Anything I do will be for a reason - not personal!)
2007-09-25 15:41
cadaver

I guess the unsaid truth here is that because moderators are human, no matter how there are rules or guidelines for their actions, you can still either be on their right or wrong side. And people on the wrong side will get watched more closely.

2007-09-25 15:53
Laxity

"Topics like this aren't solving anything. "

EDIT--> "Discussing of moderation is pointless. ", even worse <--

Rubbish. Ofcourse any debate about how CSDb is working as a community or any other aspect is good. You know why?.. Bacause this is _our_ community.. All of us... You moderators serve a purpose here for all of us, and if you're unable to debate the function you perform, you're ill suited to perform it (I'm not talking about you personally, CreaMD. I'm merely stating a general point). I think it's of vital importants that you moderator participate in such a discussion, because the rest of us _have_ to be able to trush you completely, and that's not gonna happen by dismissing a discussion about your own function.

Oh, and the topic is not here to solve something that is _broken_. It's a whole hearted attempt to do something constructive about the moderation and state of CSDb, which we like so much. Improving on the state of something is never bad, is it?
2007-09-25 16:21
Trazan

Thanx Laxity!

I will gladly recieve PMs about how to improve the work of moderators, what could be done to add more value to CSDB and new ideas!
2007-09-25 16:28
Burglar

Hear Hear!

Laxity for supermoderator! ;)

... 150 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | 16 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
fox/bonzai
Smasher/F4CG
TheRyk/MYD!
Matt
Mike
Guests online: 124