Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user jmi ! (Registered 2024-09-15) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Howdy
2024-07-27 16:00
angelo

Howdy

Hi there. It's my first post here, so lemme introduce myself. I'm angelo, or æn.d͡ʒə.loʊ, or unj, a founder of KSKPD, the group behind polish unesco application.

I'm in process of researching some early-computing stuff, including an idea planted by @Krill and @bitfat, that the default narrative of "In the beginning it was a cracker scene, that developed into demoscene later because $REASONS" might be worth challenging.

I might be asking in various sub-forums questions around data on this site, but while I used to be a part of demoscene as a coder (1995+), I also owned PC exclusively since my first computer in like 1990. I skipped 8bit phase completely, so please bare with me, if the questions sound obvious or straight-up outrageously naive :)
2024-07-27 16:25
Krill

Parts of these recent threads About the origins of c64 demoscene and Message for 4agentE and to some lesser degree the first examples of rasterbars on the c64 and the amiga are about the "alternative" reading of history.

It appears to me that a "solid" hypothesis with agreed-upon common terminology to be found and then tested against would be in order, as these and previous threads on other forums hint at quite a few misunderstandings between the debating parties.

Also Gröpaz's interjection about the influence of Compunet warrants some investigation.
2024-07-27 16:50
angelo

Quoting Krill
Parts of these recent threads About the origins of c64 demoscene and Message for 4agentE and to some lesser degree the first examples of rasterbars on the c64 and the amiga are about the "alternative" reading of history.

Thanks. Will surely read through it. Personal testimonies, interviews and discussions like these definietely provide very valuabe insight where to look for stuff, and how to look on stuff. Although my current working-idea is to actually base this on the analysis of the "artifacts", that would be as close to "facts" as we possibly can get.

Quoting Krill
It appears to me that a "solid" hypothesis with agreed-upon common terminology to be found and then tested against would be in order, as these and previous threads on other forums hint at quite a few misunderstandings between the debating parties.

Yeah, debate can be heated sometimes. That's true. SInce our discussion on pouet, I have looked a bit into the foundations for that claim, and it seems these are unfortunately weak foundations. The origins of the demoscene in the Wikipedia entry is based on Markku Reunanen's paper from 2014 called "How Those Crackers Became Us Demosceners". The paper claims to have settled the discussion once and for all, but in my humble opinion it is also based on weak data, that does not justify drawing authorative conclusions. Many of the research papers are also citing either Markku's paper, or its sources which are isolated personal histories, or even 3rd hand testimonies. So I would say there's room for improvement.

For now, as I said before I want to focus on data. I've pulled csdb, janeway, zxart, speccy, demozoo, ada and pouet archives, giving me more than 800k (with duplicates) records. I wanna see how trends on productions and groups look like based on this, but first I need to do some data cleaning. Hence the questions I'll be posting here on categories for example.

That of course does not mean I am not open for discussions or even proving me my approach sucks :)
2024-07-27 17:00
hedning

I found this paper interesting: http://widerscreen.fi/numerot/2014-1-2/crackers-became-us-demos..
2024-07-27 17:05
angelo

Quote: I found this paper interesting: http://widerscreen.fi/numerot/2014-1-2/crackers-became-us-demos..

that is unfortunately exactly the very paper I was referring to above :)

I don't say it's not interesting. It is very interesting, BUT: the paper says:

Quote:
Most of the authors who have written on the topic were not part of the original scene themselves, so they have had to rely on second-hand sources where conflicting details have already been left out. My aim in this paper is to trace the origins of the story and offer a new perspective to the various reasons that led to the gradual separation of the two scenes.

So sure, this paper is better in a sense it relies on first-hand sources. It's based tho on few (6, s-i-x) interviews, and it's hard to claim the group is representative in any statistical sense, and claiming that you can draw conclusions from 6 sources is in my humble opinion a bold move.
2024-07-27 17:54
Jetboy

So you are one responsible for that unesco crap.
Scene did not need that. We were fine without you.

I'm pissed that people like you are stepping on a work of thousand enthusiasts for personal profits, writing bullshit pseudoscienentific papers, sucking government donations and setting up bullshit studies that teach nothing useful.

disrespect
2024-07-27 18:19
4gentE

Historians, for example, base much of their arguments on evidence and stories that are equally unverifiable. A good historian will tell you that the best they can hope for is to tell a good, and relatively accurate story. All cultural production, to a certain extent, is a kind of myth-making. The trick is to do it responsibly, I think. Note that when I say “cultural production” above, I include all the social sciences and humanities. For me, academic production is also cultural production. (Trevor Paglen)
2024-07-27 18:38
ws

I came in as late as 1987 into the C64 stuff. In those days, there was, from what i heard, no talk of a "scene" (Except for Police and the press who classify groups of individuals as a scene). All that was there, was a scene in a criminal sense, as if you would talk of a drug-user-scene "drogenszene" or something close to organised crime, as the pressure from police was extremely high these days.
The only connection point between (the offline, non-bbs) people were contact-books, long lists of swapping contacts who you were supposed to send and get your disks from. I would guess that 90% of all the swapping was offline, via mail. Notable: having non-gaming or non cracking-related stuff on these swapping disks was considered lame. I personally remember seeing some first high class demos popping up on magazine disks in late 87, and that stuff always left the people i knew like "what? no game? boring!".
And i believe all the major first demo-effects were discovered by crackers.
If there were demo-people who made just demos, there simply would be no incentive to do so, because the driving factor behind the (offline) spreading was warez. This is also reflected in that era, when you had up to 5 intros from different groups infront some imported game. You wanted your name in there and you wanted your group represented, and you added a contact address! BBS'ing was super expensive and blueboxing was a dangerous thing to do.
So maybe there were very few individuals who released early "demos", but those were quite certainly not those who started the main wave of intro making in a sense that we know today. It is most likely some coincidental parallel development, but as far as i know and remember, there was no reason to make an intro or a demo unless you wanted attention from the crackers. (And we wanted that attention, badly. To get the new stuff faster. But we didn't know how to code.)
This is my view of it as a simple "user", "consumer" and then swapper. In the beginning i wasn't even in a group (none of the guys i knew were) but swapping (via mail, in germany only) already.
And few years later on the amiga, it was full-on commercial piracy. 100 disk/month abo for x amount of money. Thats actually how and why we then started an amiga group. Commercial import and then spread in our area (for free, to look cool, to collect, mainly.) So many disks, never played most of it, just keep em coming. Until the day the police showed up. That brought a horrific screeching halt to all these activities among my buddies. Soon after, everybody quit and went on to the PC, as simple "consumers" again (i started my first job, so i quit gaming and PC-ing entirely, except for making music).
We were like roughly 20 people.
2024-07-27 19:15
4gentE

I’ve heard at least 10 or 20 recounts like this one above. My own memories are similar. So, I think the argument that Markku’s paper relies on only 6 interviews is kinda irrelevant. I don’t think the revision of “demoscene emanated from crackerscene” approximation (common knowledge) will happen. I think You’re wasting your time. But do go on, try and prove me (or should I say most of us) wrong.
2024-07-27 20:21
Pex Mahoney Tufvesson

I don't think there was a cracking scene prior this demo from 1972: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naGntYNTSQM
Imho, I think there is a bigger picture somewhere that we need to look for before coming to conclusions on the origin of the demo scene. / Pex
2024-07-27 20:26
hedning

Quote: I don't think there was a cracking scene prior this demo from 1972: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naGntYNTSQM
Imho, I think there is a bigger picture somewhere that we need to look for before coming to conclusions on the origin of the demo scene. / Pex

Oh, please, mr. Tufvesson. Don't be silly. Cervantes had to write a follow up to Don Quixote as an answer to all pirate copies of the original book that was made in the early 1600's. ;)
2024-07-27 21:18
4gentE

Oh yeah? What about when Moses CRACKED the tablets?
2024-07-27 21:36
ws

All this stuff brought up a zillion of memories, oof my head, and there is one particular detail that is to consider about "first rasterbars on Amiga": while the Amiga 1000 (!) was introduced in 1985, it would *hardly* be the beginning of the great "Amiga Era", because: a complete system would set you back $3500 in todays money, affordable maybe, if you are a rich kid. But the Amiga 500 wasn't out until spring of 1987 and it would also take a year or two until it had a real lift-off, which i personally remember around 1988, peaking in 1989 - thats actually when i got the one i still have, and i had to buy it second hand.
Back in the days, those systems (Computer, Drive, Monitor) were as expensive as your hardcore gaming rig today. So, yes, systems were available as per market introduction, but sold unit numbers for relevant buildup of user numbers/hunger for software always had a little delay (in months).
2024-07-28 13:11
angelo

Quoting Pex Mahoney Tufvesson
I don't think there was a cracking scene prior this demo from 1972: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naGntYNTSQM

that is an interesting example, i didn't know this one. thanks!
2024-07-28 14:38
4gentE

Quote:
Quoting Pex Mahoney Tufvesson

that is an interesting example, i didn't know this one. thanks!

And this has 0 relevance for the subject at hand.

There are literally hundreds of these old artifacts, I love them, I've read and watched everything there is about them. Search for Sunderland, Vanderbeek, Knowlton, Whitney, Cuba, just to name a few authors.

However, as I sad, totally irrelevant for your subject.
2024-07-28 14:51
Krill

Commercially-made early demos like Dancing Demon (1979) or (supposedly) Quelle Demo (1985) also shouldn't be considered - but the legendary Kaufhaus Demo (1986) probably should. =)
2024-07-28 16:23
hedning

Quote: that is unfortunately exactly the very paper I was referring to above :)

I don't say it's not interesting. It is very interesting, BUT: the paper says:

Quote:
Most of the authors who have written on the topic were not part of the original scene themselves, so they have had to rely on second-hand sources where conflicting details have already been left out. My aim in this paper is to trace the origins of the story and offer a new perspective to the various reasons that led to the gradual separation of the two scenes.

So sure, this paper is better in a sense it relies on first-hand sources. It's based tho on few (6, s-i-x) interviews, and it's hard to claim the group is representative in any statistical sense, and claiming that you can draw conclusions from 6 sources is in my humble opinion a bold move.

Oh. Interviews, yes, but also a lot of other researchers work, see the literature list.
2024-07-29 10:43
angelo

Quoting hedning
see the literature list.

Maybe I'm too stuck in my opinion, but what exactly should catch my eye on the literature list?
2024-07-29 11:10
iAN CooG

Quote: Oh yeah? What about when Moses CRACKED the tablets?

Tales of imaginary characters from fantasy stories don't count as historical events.
2024-07-29 11:18
4gentE

Quote:
Tales of imaginary characters from fantasy stories don't count as historical events.

You don't say
2024-07-29 11:47
ws

By the way, this perspective on academia is interesting, i was unaware of that. (While the segment on her being female is also ofcourse important, it is the view of the system itself, that i find interesting.)
2024-07-29 13:06
zzarko

Quoting iAN CooG

I disagree, it is very well documented in "History of the World Part 1":
https://youtu.be/I48hr8HhDv0?t=51
2024-07-29 13:48
Krill

Quoting ws
I came in as late as 1987 into the C64 stuff. [...] Notable: having non-gaming or non cracking-related stuff on these swapping disks was considered lame. I personally remember seeing some first high class demos popping up on magazine disks in late 87, and that stuff always left the people i knew like "what? no game? boring!".
Quoting 4gentE
I’ve heard at least 10 or 20 recounts like this one above. My own memories are similar.
That only seems to underline that the scene's split/divergence was in full swing or "complete" in 1987.
Demos suiting today's definition existed earlier.
The years leading up to that split are the central part of this "interpretation problem".

Quoting ws
That makes them coders as well, doesn't it?
2024-07-29 14:00
4gentE

Quote:
Quoting ws
Quoting Krill
That makes them coders as well, doesn't it?

You described it perfectly. Cracker becomes democoder. I think this happened a lot. That's why "demoscene emanates from crackerscene" seems obvious. As I mentioned in another forum, cracking scene was a rare source of machine language knowledge, essential for demomaking. Plus, I KNOW there were a lot of non-cracker coder rookies that got inspired by intros and either joined existing crackergroups or coded intros for their own make-believe groups.
2024-07-29 14:58
Krill

Quoting 4gentE
Cracker becomes democoder. I think this happened a lot. That's why "demoscene emanates from crackerscene" seems obvious.
More like "demoscene emanates from common shared proto-scene", imho.
In the days without that clear distinction, when everybody dabbled a bit in everything, there was no notion of separate scenes.

But maybe we're really only disagreeing about semantic issues, in which case clear definitions and distinctions should be agreed on.
2024-07-29 15:02
Mixer

I do not think that views of a person or persons that started or joined much later matter at all. People who actually did stuff in the 80's are still alive.

No, "only" crackers did not become demo coders. That is absurd. Very few people reverse-engineered copy protections. Most people did not. Swapping was around before the copy protections. People created stuff when the hardware and software tools and books became available to them. There was demand for games, so games and cracked games were swapped a lot. That became the distribution method. People added their own productions and "I made this" stuff to the "swapping stream". Some were interested in how effects were done and tried to do the same or better. Groups have people who have very different interests, so whatever general idea of "cracking or demoscene" there is just an artificial label and does not apply to every individual that was involved back then. Even if there is a "cracking group" in the name, it is just a name.
2024-07-29 15:06
chatGPZ

Regarding those papers (or even books) on the subject, i have learned that the more people write about it - the little they actually know. The same logic can be applied to threads like this (And whoever references something written by Evrim Sen first wins).
2024-07-29 15:38
4gentE

Quote:
No, "only" crackers did not become demo coders. That is absurd.

Of course. Who and where said the “yes” that prompted you to begin your sentence with “No”!?

Quote:
People who actually did stuff in the 80's are still alive.

Exactly. The question is, does big enough percentage of these people remember it oppositely to what became considered as “common knowledge” (based on Wiki and a few research papers and books)? Is this percentage big enough to warrant a major rework of currently standing demoscene beginning myth, as suggested by Krill?
2024-07-29 15:44
Jammer

Quoting Jetboy
So you are one responsible for that unesco crap.
Scene did not need that. We were fine without you.

I'm pissed that people like you are stepping on a work of thousand enthusiasts for personal profits, writing bullshit pseudoscienentific papers, sucking government donations and setting up bullshit studies that teach nothing useful.

disrespect

Dude, WTF?! xD I guess it hasn't gotten to you yet how much of a nobilitation this fact actually is. You may be appalled by all the red tape and archeology around it but knowing that what we do is actually important for widely understood culture and not only a funny hobby for nolife outcasts is imho pretty uplifting.
2024-07-29 15:48
Mixer

It is very common that common knowledge is incorrect.
2024-07-29 15:54
4gentE

Quote:

I can say “true” to that. I may also add that it’s very common that common knowledge is correct.
My point is, it (common knowledge) cannot be upturned by half dozen personal opinions. Unless they are THE ONLY opinions that is…
2024-07-29 16:07
Mixer

A philosopher was walking a path in front of him. The terrain was difficult, forest was thick, and he dodged tree roots and rocks, saw the flowers and birds and beings hidden in the trees and felt the rain and wind. Exhausted he got to the other side, and there was a monk who asked: "Where do you come from? The true path comes from there, pointing to a paved road. There is no path were you came from." Philosopher answered: "There is now."
2024-07-29 16:47
Oswald

Quote: Quote:

I can say “true” to that. I may also add that it’s very common that common knowledge is correct.
My point is, it (common knowledge) cannot be upturned by half dozen personal opinions. Unless they are THE ONLY opinions that is…

there is no factual proofm and you yourself cant present fractual proofs for your views.

what you label common knowledge is not proven.

cracking games needs much less effort than doing something creative, also cracking comes naturally ppl just wanting games for feee, so its natural cracking happened earlier.

demos needs much more effort and investment, so it came later.

however if A happens earlier in time than B that doesnt mean that B originates from A.
2024-07-29 16:51
4gentE

Quote:
Swapping was around before the copy protections.

You mean there was an international network of C64 swappers before copying and distribution of games and other commercial software became a thing? I was completely unaware of this. Who were these swappers? What did they swap?
2024-07-29 17:09
chatGPZ

They swapped the software they wrote, as simple as that. And it was pretty much what everyone who owned a computer in the 70 and early 80s did. The concept of "copyright" was invented later. Or even the concept of buying it for that matter :)
2024-07-29 17:13
Krill

Quoting chatGPZ
They swapped the software they wrote, as simple as that. And it was pretty much what everyone who owned a computer in the 70 and early 80s did. The concept of "copyright" was invented later. Or even the concept of buying it for that matter :)
Plus the wording was "before the copy protections", so unprotected games and other commercial software were also very likely swapped along. =)
2024-07-29 17:18
chatGPZ

Yes, and it was considered "normal" for everyone too - until some businessmen came up with the "copyright" idea
2024-07-29 17:19
4gentE

@Oswald
Do you understand anything about social science and historical research?

Here, let me try and explain: if something is written in a research paper (which quotes a dozen books at the end), if half a dozen later papers quote this research paper, and even if the Wiki entry bases its definition of a cultural phenomenon based on this paper, then this definition is not “my opinion”. A lot of what historians write will have no “f(r)actual proofs” whatever you mean by that, but I’m guessing you mean “material proof” or something. What they write will be based on circumstantial and anecdotal evidence, it will basically be their informed opinion. That’s how these sciences work. Of course their methodology could be imperfect, their data pool could be too small, which could lead them to wrong conclusions. But if this is the only research available then their informed opinion and your personal opinion don’t carry the same weight. Is that too hard to grasp?
2024-07-29 17:41
4gentE

Quote:

Reading this, I think I perhaps see where the misunderstanding lies. For some reason when talking about the emergence of the demoscene, I thought we were talking about this subculture that arose in teenage computer user circles in mid 80s mainly on C64. Continued on Amiga, ST and others. Reagan times. When it was already well defined that software (read games) had to be bought. I never included 70s, Altairs and whatnot into this subculture. Of that earlier subculture I always thought of as “hackerscene”. The attitudes always seemed very different to me. Those computer nerds in the 70s were old optimistic, altruistic boomer guys with beards. Demosceners, on the other hand, were not boomers, they were gen-x-ers and they were not at all altruistic, but rude brats. Correct me if I got it wrong, but You seem to want to move the beginning of the demoscene further into history from where I put it.
2024-07-29 17:43
Oswald

do you understand how all of science works?

there is proof - accept it.
no proof - discard it.

dont push your unproven opinion.
2024-07-29 17:47
4gentE

@Oswald
I admit, your proud ignorance annoys the cr*p out of me.
2024-07-29 17:53
hedning

Quote: do you understand how all of science works?

there is proof - accept it.
no proof - discard it.

dont push your unproven opinion.

Correction: there is proof - accept it, until further/more proof updates/disproves the initial proof and theory built upon the original proof, and an updated, or a new view is accepted by the science community.. And so on.

Science is not a belief, and will change, with hard work towards truth. (At least that was the idea until recent politics took over some of the institutions, it seems. ;) )
2024-07-29 18:03
Oswald

Quote: Correction: there is proof - accept it, until further/more proof updates/disproves the initial proof and theory built upon the original proof, and an updated, or a new view is accepted by the science community.. And so on.

Science is not a belief, and will change, with hard work towards truth. (At least that was the idea until recent politics took over some of the institutions, it seems. ;) )

Correction: you're not correcting what I've said, just adding to it.
2024-07-29 18:05
Oswald

Quote: @Oswald
I admit, your proud ignorance annoys the cr*p out of me.

Your constant personal attacks, grow up man, other ppl have other ideas than you. Why does it make you so angry ?
2024-07-29 18:18
4gentE

@Oswald

It’s not a deliberate personal attack per se, I don’t mean to offend you, I’m stating my opinion of you based on observation.

I’m not angry, I guess one reason this stance of yours annoys me is because I see this a lot lately, this lack of understanding of how social science/history, well in fact all science which cannot promptly provide empirical evidence works: You put forth a theory based on what research is available. This theory stands until a better argumented and evidenced theory is put forth, putting the earlier theory to rest. It’s not “a battle of personal opinions”.
2024-07-29 19:20
Oswald

Quote: @Oswald

It’s not a deliberate personal attack per se, I don’t mean to offend you, I’m stating my opinion of you based on observation.

I’m not angry, I guess one reason this stance of yours annoys me is because I see this a lot lately, this lack of understanding of how social science/history, well in fact all science which cannot promptly provide empirical evidence works: You put forth a theory based on what research is available. This theory stands until a better argumented and evidenced theory is put forth, putting the earlier theory to rest. It’s not “a battle of personal opinions”.

again this bullshit.

scientific theory is not based on empirical fact(s). it's just guesswork under a different label.

science without empirical evidence doesnt work.

your opinion is not fact.

and your personal attack is not a rational observation.

stop.
2024-07-29 19:58
Mixer

Well, I do not know what all the research is or its findings are exactly, but I doubt that it claims that the events unfolded the same way for everyone. So it is not in my opinion correct to impose that finding onto the whole population either or back propagate it to past, or to impose restrictions to a review simply by just dismissing our differing views on the life back then. At worst the new study will replicate and confirm previous result, which would be unprecedented in social sciences I believe.
2024-07-29 20:12
Krill

Quoting 4gentE
Quote:
Reading this, I think I perhaps see where the misunderstanding lies. For some reason when talking about the emergence of the demoscene, I thought we were talking about this subculture that arose in teenage computer user circles in mid 80s mainly on C64. Continued on Amiga, ST and others. Reagan times. When it was already well defined that software (read games) had to be bought. I never included 70s [...]
Copyright on software was explicitly codified in law (and then enforced) in several parts of Europe only as late as the mid-1980s or later, which means that it wasn't a notable thing in the early days of the C-64 scene (much less for earlier platforms).
That early scene did establish means of distribution already, and all kinds of software, scene-made and not, flowed across them.
"The demoscene", as a separate entity distinguishable from the "cracking scene", did not emerge before the mid-1980s, which doesn't seem to be contested by anyone.
2024-07-29 20:20
spider-j

Quoting 4gentE
their data pool could be too small

Which in this case I guess will always be a problem.

I'd think in general you can assume that the "idea" of demoscene is maybe "older" – just because the "idea" of software as "intellectual property" and therefore the "idea" of "stealing" / "cracking" this "property" has to be younger than that.

But that doesn't take the social interaction part of the scene into account.

I personally don't know. I'm one of the younger lads here, had never any connection to either scene when I was a kid, but even I as a "none scener" 10 year old did "both":
I "cracked" Turtles II that I got from a class mate by just duplicating one file naming it like the other and I made a lot of "music" in trackers and programmed a ton of (of course unfinished) basic adventures and (tried) to code some "intros" in assembler.

I always imagined that was what the other kids were doing as well – only way better than me :-)
2024-07-29 21:23
4gentE

Quote:
…but I doubt that it claims that the events unfolded the same way for everyone.

It’s an approximation. As all definitions of roots of a subculture are. Something had to be written. Oh I don’t know how to put this: There were bands during punk explosion that played trumpets. Or castanets. Or pan flutes. Or acapella. Still, part of the subculture. When history account says that typical punk band consisted of a drummer, bassist, guitarrist and a singer - it’s not wrong. Nobody is denying anybody their personal history. It seems that when making interviews, past researchers into demoscene roots concluded that the largest percentage of interviewed people got into the scene through crackerscene. One way or the other. My personal experience and that of a dozen people whose experience I heard or read state the same: “I saw some intros in front of games, I liked what I saw, wondered how they work, learnt how to change them to my liking, fell for this whole teenage subculture, what with groups like some kinda gangs, the notoriety and all.” So, never cracked a game, but acknowledging the culture that gave them knowledge, maybe style, certainly and an idea what to code.
What Krill suggests (if I’m not mistaken) is that more people got into the scene even earlier through pure democoding. If this is true than the new approximation in a new paper will state that “demoscene developed paralel and only slightly related to the crackerscene.” And I’d be perfectly fine with that. Until then, the old research stands. And that research does not rob anyone of his personal experience for chrissake.
2024-07-29 21:35
4gentE

Quote:
scientific theory is not based on empirical fact(s). it's just guesswork under a different label.

No, that would be hypothesis. And even hypothesis is not guesswork, it’s a product of inductive reasoning. Scientific theory is something else.

Oswald, it’s not a problem that you don’t understand something, it’s that you don’t want to understand because you wrongly think that you do understand. Trump acts like this all the time.
Imagine if I argued with you about how a pixel plotter is coded. And in my first sentence it becomes obvious to you that I don’t even understand what a pixel plotter is. And I still keep arguing.
2024-07-29 22:37
Fungus

All "scenes" grew out of ego and the need to show off and make people feel good about themselves and how cool they are and how much better they are than others, or whatever. There is no purity in the "scene". I think you're trying to apply values and think there is some kind of organized effort that just didn't exist until later.

There was crossover, and to me they are one and the same. Snobby people just came along and said that demo and cracking scenes are separate and not just the commodore 64 scene which encompasses are larger body of works and people, including user groups and hardware hackers and etc etc. It's just more elitist bullshit trying to exclude things and put them in boxes rather than encompass them as a whole because some people like to compartmentalize things and separate things they don't like from the larger whole.

IMO these are useless arguments and have squat to do with "history" and more to do with snobby elitism.
2024-07-29 23:45
ws

@krill, but ... the problem of copying existed from very early on. copyprotections did not come up because of copyright law. it was because of the copying. actually: tape duplication. see this https://archive.org/details/Commercial_Breaks_-_The_Battle_For_..
2024-07-30 00:03
4gentE

I thought exactly that. Copy protection did not come to be because copyright law was well established and firmly enforced, but for exactly the opposite reason.
2024-07-30 01:14
ws

I feel like i should write an article about this, if only i wasnt allergic to academia, it seems i have made my research, but was too lazy to write dat shit down.

Next to the Ocean/Imagine story video by the BBC there are two more very important documentaries from 84/85, one is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZFonUaAkNg (Computerfieber)
which shows the reflection of computer activities in the german bourgeoisie - funny that GROEPAZ is mentioned there, but he insists the name similarity is purely coincidal (i would, too) and the other one is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_NElnJKafI (Wild in den Straßen - St. Pauli Champs)
-- this one has little to zero computer relevance, but shows, how the U.S. Street-Gang mentality bled over to Germany and made youth groups form prominently named gangs.

Just in case you wonder where all that "group" and "naming" spirit of the 80s cracers(Sic) came from.

Ofcourse, there may have been one or two and a half art students in Marburg and Bielefeld with a cat, who thought like "oh this is omazing, i am going to write a demonstration program to show my skills", but: for which audience? Home-computers were a teenage thing. (Proof: Advertisements for video games)
I remember being a nerd in 1987 and nobody liked nerds, because the term nerd wasn't a thing and thus i just was a computer-idiot. x-marked for bullying.

Surely, you have art from professional artists who even used computers, but that was a non hobbyist thing. Imho, the demoscene was invented by the media in late 1980s, because they were talking to "cracer scene" people who could deliver them interesting content for their magazine disks. See 64er Sprite Multiplexer Competition 64'er was a very influential, well selling Magazine that focused on things C64 and they had a coverdisk. It is my personal opinion, that this was the moment, when the demoscene came into existence, when Cracer groups formed "legal" sections that only produced legal content to be published and picked up (for money) by magazines. Because magazines could not sell warez. And that way, the whole crime-gang thing slowly turned. (Please credit me as Sebastian I. Hartmann, big thx)

Think about this:
1.) Among todays teenagers, do you see any _notable_ mobile-phone demomaking efforts with mainstream attention? Why not?
2.) Is Tiktok perhaps an alternative demomaking platform? What are they demonstrating?
2024-07-30 01:31
Fungus

Piracy started the minute someone released software... in the 70's, people were pirating things for every single computer system. It didn't start with C64, nor did "branding", or as I said bragging rights. They were pirating arcade games too, from pong onwards.
2024-07-30 02:13
Krill

Quoting ws
the problem of copying existed from very early on. copyprotections did not come up because of copyright law. it was because of the copying.
Quoting 4gentE
Copy protection did not come to be because copyright law was well established and firmly enforced, but for exactly the opposite reason.
I didn't say that copyright and copy protections had any relation.

The point was that the early scene copied and spread anything they could, well before widespread copy protections or enforced legal restrictions were in place. And that perfectly-legal-to-copy stuff was spread, too.
2024-07-30 07:34
hedning

Quote: Correction: you're not correcting what I've said, just adding to it.

Yes, and no. "Accept it" implies a stop and passive acceptance. I added upon that so that there is no stop, thus correcting it.
2024-07-30 09:18
Oswald

Quote: Yes, and no. "Accept it" implies a stop and passive acceptance. I added upon that so that there is no stop, thus correcting it.

there was nothing wrong with I have written, thus there was nothing to correct. Acceptance of proofs only doesnt means that the further intricacies of the scirentific method are invalid / non existing.
2024-07-30 10:58
4gentE

Quote:
"The demoscene", as a separate entity distinguishable from the "cracking scene", did not emerge before the mid-1980s, which doesn't seem to be contested by anyone.

Here's the (seemingly, I guess) agreed upon thesis.

Quote:
Imho, the demoscene was invented by the media in late 1980s, because they were talking to "cracer scene" people who could deliver them interesting content for their magazine disks. See 64er Sprite Multiplexer Competition 64'er was a very influential, well selling Magazine that focused on things C64 and they had a coverdisk. It is my personal opinion, that this was the moment, when the demoscene came into existence, when Cracer groups formed "legal" sections that only produced legal content to be published and picked up (for money) by magazines. Because magazines could not sell warez. And that way, the whole crime-gang thing slowly turned.

And here is a perfectly valid explanation imho.
If this holds then "demoscene emanated from crackerscene" sounds like just about the right way to explain the roots to outsiders without too much philosophy.
2024-07-30 11:36
Krill

I find it very unlikely that a German-language print magazine (or media in general) "invented" the demoscene.

And my point is still that the moment a separate "cracker scene" was born (even if only as handy catchword) was the moment a separate "demoscene" was born, and vice-versa.
Both "emanated" from a common ancestor which had had a "legal section" all along.
Siblings, not parent and child.
2024-07-30 12:06
4gentE

Quote:
And my point is still that the moment a separate "cracker scene" was born (even if only as handy catchword) was the moment a separate "demoscene" was born, and vice-versa.
Both "emanated" from a common ancestor which had had a "legal section" all along.
Siblings, not parent and child.

While I see how to a certain point this "fervour" question can apply to myself also, may I ask: Where does this fervour you seem to harbour come from? Why are you so adamant to prove the mainstream "creation myth" wrong? Let's put aside the fact that I think that you are wrong. I know I repeat myself, but I'll say it again: I don't think it's doable. Replacement of the creation myth that is. Why stir the pot for no constructive reason?
2024-07-30 12:15
Krill

Quoting 4gentE
While I see how to a certain point this "fervour" question can apply to myself also, may I ask:
Where does this fervour you seem to harbour come from? [...] Why stir the pot for no constructive reason?
You seem to have answered your own question there.
2024-07-30 12:26
4gentE

Yeah, I guess I'm too dumb to see the answer.

My fervour is a reaction to your fervour.
The source of your fervour is still unknown to me.
You're the disruptive innovator, the pot-stirrer, the truth fighter of this story, I'm a mere average joe conservative piece of rock.
2024-07-30 14:45
Joe

I am Joe, a conservative piece of rock ;D
2024-07-30 14:49
Oswald

Quote: Yeah, I guess I'm too dumb to see the answer.

My fervour is a reaction to your fervour.
The source of your fervour is still unknown to me.
You're the disruptive innovator, the pot-stirrer, the truth fighter of this story, I'm a mere average joe conservative piece of rock.

goto 10. without proof your position is not the "truth"
2024-07-30 14:57
chatGPZ

Quote:
I find it very unlikely that a German-language print magazine (or media in general) "invented" the demoscene.

I'd say the opposite: 64er in particular invented quite some things when it comes to "the scene". "Geschichten aus dem Sumpf" *shudder*

What would be actually somewhere interesting though: when did people start talking about "demoscene" rather than just "scene" anyway? I don't remember "demoscene" from the 80s at all - it was all "scene".
2024-07-30 15:21
4gentE

@Oswald
As You’ve repeatedly shown us, You are desperately out of your depth here buddy. Chill. Go Google “scientific theory” while chilling. Don’t troll.
2024-07-30 18:42
Oswald

Quote: Quote:

I'd say the opposite: 64er in particular invented quite some things when it comes to "the scene". "Geschichten aus dem Sumpf" *shudder*

What would be actually somewhere interesting though: when did people start talking about "demoscene" rather than just "scene" anyway? I don't remember "demoscene" from the 80s at all - it was all "scene".

I think demoscene is probably an "invention" of the amiga / pc scene. I still feel its stupid, its still just scene to me. In the c64 community It was scene only even around 96ish imho when I have joined the "scene" on irc, releasing demos, etc.
2024-07-30 20:08
hedning

Quote: I think demoscene is probably an "invention" of the amiga / pc scene. I still feel its stupid, its still just scene to me. In the c64 community It was scene only even around 96ish imho when I have joined the "scene" on irc, releasing demos, etc.

This I agree on.
2024-07-30 20:09
hedning

Quote: I am Joe, a conservative piece of rock ;D

This is why I love you. <3
2024-07-31 00:11
Krill

As for the oft-cited article How Those Crackers Became Us Demosceners - when reading it with the "alternative" interpretation of history in mind, a few phrases stand out:

Quote:
In the late 1980s the legal part of the cracking and warez scene slowly drifted away from the illegal part.
Quote:
Based on the interviews, there were no sharp borders between different activities before the 1990s: cracking, swapping, intro coding and demos coexisted side by side.
Quote:
sceners did not somehow “become” interested in pure audiovisual programming, as there were such people right from the beginning.
Quote:
Bacchus mentioned two groups, Horizon and Ian & Mic, as examples that were not involved in cracking
Quote:
it was very common that the same people distributed both demos and warez at the same time
These do raise the question how far demos and related things really go back relative to cracks-with-intros, and how much truth there really is to the old "first appeared crackers with their crack intros, which then evolved into the demoscene" narrative.
2024-07-31 01:59
Fungus

When I became active in the scene, there was just the scene. Demo and Cracking etc was just subparts of the scene, I still feel that way personally, they are not separate and never were.
2024-07-31 02:36
Krill

From the same article:
Quote:
Arguably, the distinction is somewhat artificial, as the members of both have simply considered themselves to be in the scene.
Quote:
it again becomes clear how games, piracy and demos initially co-existed side by side in the scene circles
2024-07-31 07:00
Hein

I guess you'd have to interview the people that started c64 groups in 1982 and 1983, maybe 1984. The idea of a protoscener is interesting. We all started copying and swapping stuff, so it must've started with a copy-scene with copy parties.
2024-07-31 09:01
4gentE

The way I see it (why existant research simplified things into "demoscene emanated from crackerscene") that some people seem to detest:

1) Distribution channel. It' very romantic to think that there was a network of (four-eyed) democoders who exchanged their work via mail robust enough to really be called a distribution channel. It's also very implausible. There was an alternative, one nation channel I was unaware of. UK's Compunet, mentioned by GPZ. Could be that the authors of past research were also unaware of that. Be that as it may, I think mailswapping was the decisive driver in rest of Europe. Mailswapping network was put in place by crack groups mainly to distribute cracks. Demos along with them. This was very important as early copyparties were not very big and pretty isolated.
2) Motivation. Many youngsters came in touch with the scene through intros. The intros were fresh, they were made by teenagers, they were in-your-face, they often looked/sounded better than the games in front of which they stood. The "cool" factor was off the charts for young minds. This coolness factor motivated many a teen computer game player to delve into coding. This thing you saw was miles apart from what uncool boomer dads, uncles and teachers in plaid shirts taught you, from what you did with BASIC in school, and from what Hello World booklets taught. This was cool, this was graffiti, hip hop and thrash metal all in one. Gee, computers can be "cool"! There was this whole scene and it was all driven by other badass teenagers forming these cool groups! I want in!

I think maybe the timeframe is what confuses the discussion. That's why it would be very useful to know exactly when the term "demoscene" started its life (as GPZ suggested). Oswald offered a kind of an answer by saying it was probably coined by Amiga/PC sceners which would (I guess) imply mid 90s. We certainly should not mix in 70s hackerscene or computer demos in general, like that one by Ed Catmull and the gang, as this would be utterly counterproductive.
2024-07-31 10:36
Krill

Quoting Hein
I guess you'd have to interview the people that started c64 groups in 1982 and 1983, maybe 1984. The idea of a protoscener is interesting. We all started copying and swapping stuff, so it must've started with a copy-scene with copy parties.
Not quite sure how to interpret the last sentence.

And this dude churned out amazing graphics as soon as 1983 (or earlier). =)
2024-07-31 10:47
Hein

Quote: Quoting Hein
Not quite sure how to interpret the last sentence.

And this dude churned out amazing graphics as soon as 1983 (or earlier). =)

So maybe interview him as well. My thought is that only people from those early days have first hand stories.

As for interpretation; any way that floats your boat. My first 'scene' experience was copying games on tape, but that's obviously way later than the first groups or releases appeared.
2024-07-31 10:47
4gentE

@Krill
If I'm not mistaken, You did intro for this mag; how come you dismiss this text nowadays?
https://www.atlantis-prophecy.org/recollection/?load=online_iss..

@angelo
The link I posted could be of interest to you.
2024-07-31 10:53
Krill

Quoting 4gentE
@Krill
If I'm not mistaken, You did intro for this mag; how come you dismiss this text nowadays
What makes you assume i ever okayed it and not just condoned it or was even aware of it in the first place? Or that opinions are immutable over time?
2024-07-31 11:04
4gentE

Quote:
What makes you assume i ever okayed it and not just condoned it or was even aware of it in the first place? Or that opinions are immutable over time?

1) The reason I mentioned that you did the Recollection #1 intro was out of respect and so that when I post the link you ((or someone else)) don't come back at me with something like "Look here, boy, I ((he)) coded the intro for the mag you're shoving in my ((his)) face." So, I apologize for insinuating you read the article. Or agreed with what was written.

2) Aha, so this all is about opinions and feelings? I got the (wrong, obviously) impression you were digging for some semblance of "truth", not some elusive and unstable "opinion".
2024-07-31 14:39
Mixer

Narratives.
2024-07-31 15:06
chatGPZ

Quote:
Many youngsters came in touch with the scene through intros. The intros were fresh, they were made by teenagers, they were in-your-face, they often looked/sounded better than the games in front of which they stood.

but that only happened later, in the late 80s. If you look at the early 80s, cracks usually got no, or very simple intros. And the few demos that existed were MUCH more interesting than those.
2024-07-31 15:48
4gentE

Quote:
but that only happened later, in the late 80s. If you look at the early 80s, cracks usually got no, or very simple intros. And the few demos that existed were MUCH more interesting than those.

Yes. That only happened in mid to late 80s. That’s what I’m saying. Which means that the swapper network preceded intros. And that this network swapped mainly (intro-less) cracks. The existance of a few outsider demos with severely limited distribution scope prior to the intros changes almost nothing. Your experience of getting hold of the said demos originated on Compunet via schoolyard swapping is the first such experience I heard, and while this new info requires some thought readjustment, I don’t think it’s massive enough a phenomenon to warrant a history rewrite. I could be wrong. Excuse me for asking, but are you perhaps older than most? I’m 50 and the games 2 cracks 2 intros 2 code 2 demos perhaps applies only for todays below 50s. As I mentioned before (when you mentioned the nature of software not necessarily being regarded as merchandise) the misunderstanding could be that you in your mind place the early scene further back in history than I do in my mind. Again, that’s why i think establishing a timeframe is the first step.
2024-07-31 16:20
Mixer

Personally I was a barely conscious teenager mid 80's when I started dabbling with programming. I am barely conscious now, so not much has changed. So, what I say about others at that time can be only conjecture.

There are some things that make a forced timeline: namely the availability and adoption of hardware, software tools and books and magazines. X cannot have happened before Y. Also, X or Y must have been created by someone before it is published and distributed, so there is a incubating time before the publishing date, etc.

(Off topic) I've pondered creating a timeline/narrative tool to make sense of discussions like this. In the past these were called notes, but I'd just pass stuff to a LLM application and have it pick up assertions and order them semi automatically. No idea if it would work or not.
2024-07-31 16:40
chatGPZ

Quote:
Which means that the swapper network preceded intros. And that this network swapped mainly (intro-less) cracks.

You'd be surprised how many people were organised in "computer clubs", where it was all about writing - and swapping - your own stuff, and where (later) swapping cracks might even have been frowned upon.

And no, i'm not older than most of you :) Whats true is though, that in the early 80s i was hanging around with older guys (Jihad, Florasoft) because almost noone else was sharing my interests or even had a computer :) (it was more weird for them than for me i am sure :D)
2024-07-31 18:08
4gentE

Well, yes, I see how it could be sort of “generational”. Like, by the time I became aware of some kind of scene going, let’s say 1985 or early 1986, the “computer club” guys “left their ideals behind” and either dispersed into writing commercial software or stayed with the “new wild” kids and went into cracking. One of very few famous local “computer club” type guys I was aware of was the guy who recoded Saboteur for C64. My uncle was one of “computer club” guys, but he and his gang were never into realtime audiovisual stuff. More like hardware/lowest level code.
Mixer has a point about forced timeline: the above hypothesis leaves only around 2 years for these “demos before cracks and intros” if we suppose C64 started selling in Europe around xmas 1982. That’s 2 years to get the new machine, learn the intricacies, learn to code (how many good books are there?), go back and forth with techniques between authors, etc. Doable but quite tight.
2024-07-31 18:18
Krill

Quoting 4gentE
the above hypothesis leaves only around 2 years for these “demos before cracks and intros”
It's not about flipping the timeline.
2024-07-31 18:34
4gentE

Quote:
It's not about flipping the timeline.

OK. It was a hypothesis.You don't yield an inch do you. You just won't allow that the fully formed scene exists in mid 1980s and that this scene is predominantly swapping cracks (with intros) and to a much lesser extent demos (which by this time tend to look like standalone intros minus the size cap, wonder why) as described in Newscopy's article. You need the "demoscene" to be one unbroken entity from the very first C64 sold, right until today with as little to do with crackerscene as possible. I tried to approach your writings from 3 different angles, but every time you lead me to the same conclusion : agenda/crusade/crusader.
2024-08-01 10:12
Krill

Quoting Hein
So maybe interview him as well. My thought is that only people from those early days have first hand stories.
Exactly. As others have noted, interviewing people who have first-hand experience is the way to go.

The questions should be framed to allow for that different interpretation, with calling the early scene just the scene and explicitly asking about either or both legal and illegal activities and productions.

Quoting 4gentE
You just won't allow that the fully formed scene exists in mid 1980s and that this scene is predominantly swapping cracks (with intros) and to a much lesser extent demos (which by this time tend to look like standalone intros minus the size cap, wonder why) as described in Newscopy's article.
Why, this looks rather close to what i'm proposing.

Can you now stop with the strawmen, name-calling, Bulverism etc., please?
2024-08-01 10:52
4gentE

@Krill
Perhaps you could (please) take time and write in short and clear terms exactly what you think, what bothers you about the existing myth, and what you propose, because it seems I always get snippets from you, which make me go guessing what you really want with all this, which then in turn leads to you feeling me "strawmaning" you. (you sure do love fashionable internet arguing terms don't you?)
So can you please fix the goalposts for me so to speak.

Here's what's written on wiki:
Demos in the demoscene sense began as software crackers' "signatures", that is, crack screens and crack intros attached to software whose copy protection was removed. The first crack screens appeared on the Apple II in the early 1980s, and they were often nothing but plain text screens crediting the cracker or their group. Gradually, these static screens evolved into increasingly impressive-looking introductions containing animated effects and music. Eventually, many cracker groups started to release intro-like programs separately, without being attached to unlicensed software.[6] These programs were initially known by various names, such as letters or messages, but they later came to be known as demos.

Thank you in advance.
2024-08-01 14:26
Mixer

4gentE: I do not believe that we can complete the suggested new research on this thread, because the unknowns are still unknown and will remain so, until someone does the hard work, so asking Krill and others give you proof already is unfounded, we've only conjectures and alternative narratives.

There were a large population of people doing things on c-64 and other platforms, so If we were to learn and map what they were doing over time, we'd probably get a result which is a grouping or a distribution of narratives, not a certainty for a single one. In this discussion it has been suggested that the "demoscene" is a term that has been coined later than mid 80's for those who were mainly interested in crafting these programs. Past research were looking for origins of demoscene only, so they found something to that nature. However, people did do all sorts of technology demonstrations decades earlier, the word demo was a term used for such works already. Wiki and research state a link between crack intros and a demo, which describe a specific type of demonstration that became the demo in demoscene. Is the wiki definition too narrow a definition and is the crack intros to demos the only path that happened? What did the game devs, researchers, computer club and other people call their - non-product and skill/technology demonstrations?

Undoubtedly you 4gentE will dissect this word by word and find something in to counter the words, but I for one have no clarification to give to what I do not know or no one has studied yet, and people will challenge the current research and look for clarification.

There is a lot of diffusion of terms and ideas, and we cannot avoid it in this format as we all learn and then project back to past. I've learned many new things in this discussion, but I acknowledge that that is not everything there is.
2024-08-01 15:29
4gentE

Quote:
…I do not believe that we can complete the suggested new research on this thread…

I couldn’t agree more. So, status quo it is. Current research stands, until better one comes along. I’ve been saying this not only from the start, but actually before the very start here on CSDb. This whole thread is redundant, the thread before it which unfortunately bears my handle in its title is redundant, and Krill’s hijack of Mankeli’s original “Amiga” thread is redundant.

At this point, in my last post, I was asking Krill to state what he actually wants with opening this redundant and unresolvable controversy (not only on CSDb) in short bullet point style, because after all the noise I’m at a bit of a loss. I put that Wiki quote there so that he can pinpoint exactly what bothers him about the “official myth” and what he feels should be changed.
2024-08-01 15:46
Mixer

Breathe, reflect, let go, repeat.
2024-08-01 15:56
Krill

Quoting Mixer
Breathe, reflect, let go, repeat.
=)

4gentE: Still busy working on an answer that wouldn't repeat anything i already said, to drive the point more in the general direction of home. Chiseling one character at a time... .. .
2024-08-01 15:57
4gentE

Making fists with my toes on the carpet. ;-)
2024-08-02 14:17
chatGPZ

meanwhile we can question how relevant wikipedia is for anything
2024-08-02 17:12
4gentE

I generally agree about Wiki.

However, considering this specific topic, while We’re at it, do you suggest We question or outright deny the relevance of:

research articles :

http://www.kameli.net/demoresearch2/reunanensilvast-hinc2.pdf (Chapter 2.1)
http://widerscreen.fi/numerot/2014-1-2/crackers-became-us-demos..

diskmag article(s):

http://www.atlantis-prophecy.org/recollection/?load=online_issu..

and printed books written by protagonists:

https://www.amazon.com/Freax-Brief-History-Computer-Demoscene-e..

…in favor of how 2-3 people feel about it and what those 2-3 people say? One of whom dead serious literally provided this (counter) argument: “…demoscene doesnt comes from crack scene because O***** and K**** says so in csdb.” That’d be a weird choice wouldn’t it? Don’t get me wrong, I’m all in for dismantling myths, but this is not it.
2024-08-04 14:04
Krill

So, let's return to the original statement to which i objected (with a strong C-64 scene focus in mind):
Quoting hedning
The demo scene emanates from the cracking scene
Hypothesis: The early scene had people produce cracks, intros, and demos.

Sometimes the same dudes, often the same groups, still the same scene.
The same people swapped both legal and illegal productions, and met at the same parties.

As such, the objection is that assuming it thus, there follows a contradiction to above quote.
There wasn't a separate cracking scene, thus a separate demoscene could not emanate from it.

It doesn't even matter much how the internal timeline went, what kind of production came first, or which styles of productions or demos themselves were more popular at which time.

It was the same scene, the same people, the same hodgepodge of legal, illegal and anything in between productions, with the notion and name of a scene-made "demo", in today's meaning, being established early on, long before there was any talk of split or divergence into separate scenes.

Note that this narrative does not contradict
Quoting 4gentE
the fully formed scene exists in mid 1980s and that this scene is predominantly swapping cracks (with intros) and to a much lesser extent demos (which by this time tend to look like standalone intros minus the size cap, wonder why) as described in Newscopy's article.
Merely the finer details as for quantities and their interpretation vary.
2024-08-04 16:54
4gentE

@Krill
Thanks for that summary.

Difference in views on some points I can indeed see as a matter of semantics. On some other points not.

I have nothing more to write here, I guess all that needed to be said has been said, some things more than once (sorry for that).

And I have to admit I still pretty much fail to see the point of an initiative, a push for nearly cosmetical changes of what is in most papers a preamble. Seems like arguing that Doner is the favourite snack of the scene instead of currywurst, and trying to prove it.
2024-08-04 17:10
Krill

Maybe, maybe not just a case of semantics. Sometimes the wording is important! :)

Also "These programs were initially known by various names, such as letters or messages, but they later came to be known as demos." from the Wikipedia article you quoted is nonsense, of course.
They were known as demos early on, just that "letters" or "messages" were specific styles.

But again, could just be non-important details.
2024-08-04 17:22
4gentE

About Wiki entry: of course. A case of "creative" third-hand oversimplification until it makes no sense any more. As if the world wouldn't know what a demo is if someone didn't write his name on a copied game first.
2024-08-04 22:16
Count Zero

Luckily you obv. are aware that most of the mod teams is currently on strike - so, PLEASE keep this hilarious lemon-like pot of shit cooking.

Rest assured though! We are ofc still tracking your shithead posts and discuss about it :)
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
REBEL 1/HF
bugjam
icon/The Silents, Sp..
Sychamis
Airwolf/F4CG
Ax!s/Onslaught - TND