Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > calculating of square roots ?
2006-06-29 00:59
Trifox
Account closed

calculating of square roots ?

hi all, for my newest project i am in urgent need to calculate the length of a 2d vector, reminding pythagorian math i remember that i have to calculate the roots of a fixed point (8bits.8bits) number, how can that be mastered in a convenient way ?!?!?!

thx

... 92 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-07-06 17:17
Monte Carlos

Hey, the sun is nice outside !

Monte
2006-07-06 18:07
Copyfault

@enthusi: wonder if all axioms in math are really "obvious" as you put it...

someone at the university once said: "in math there's only 'if-then'-phrases"; and he was f**king right!

What's really interesting about math is its consequences for the real world, that it _can_ be misused as a language to predict certain things (mostly values, that is;)) Ofcourse this comes from the chosen axioms, as they are mostly inspired by problems in ancient physics. So "inspired by the inner workings of nature" might be a good phrase to describe the character of math axioms...

But let's better watch the sun outside - it gives less headache;))
2006-07-06 18:54
JackAsser

axiom = atomic (as in non-dividable ;) ) assumption imo.

Also don't forget Gödel's incompletness theorem which actually proves that based on the axioms in a closed system there will be equations/formulations/explanations/theses that are true but in-provable. Getting really wacked here I'm thinking of applying that theorem to universe itself. Imagine physics one day finds all the "axioms" in nature, that would direcly mean that the will be stuff in universe that are true, but still not provable. Such as the creation, where it came from etc. Stuff like that could very well be inprovable but still very true if you consider Gödel's theorem on universal scale. (perhaps). :D

ps. This are getting really out of topic now and I think it's just a way for us "others" to try to make a point or catch some of Graham's brilliant glow with his algorithm. Actually only Graham have stayed in topic and actually delivered more that just crap talk. :D </asslicking & appreciation>
2006-07-06 19:06
_V_
Account closed

I agree that this is getting out-of-topic, which started because I was defending an 80s math teacher and the constatation (nothing you can do about it, sorry :) that, with current methods, you cannot calculate pure irrationals explicitly in this lifetime. I could start debating the true nature of numbers, Gödel's theorem, infinity, limits, whether the universe is discrete or continuous, the validity of quantum mechanics, etc. but I would recommend everyone to consult scientific literature for this.

One last thing, though. Graham: saying that infinity doesn't exist, is saying that purely irrational numbers don't exist. Or limits, or series, or gradients, or fractals, or...

For example, if infinity doesn't exist, then we couldn't possibly calculate

lim (n->+Inf) 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + ... + (1/2)^n

now could we?
2006-07-06 22:31
Cruzer

Talking about off-topic, how about interpretation of quantum mechanics anyone? :o)

I'm mostly in favor of the Many Worlds Interpretation, even though I live in Copenhagen.
2006-07-07 05:17
chatGPZ

MOOOONK! WHERE ARE YOU?!
2006-07-07 06:40
Spinball

Quote: Talking about off-topic, how about interpretation of quantum mechanics anyone? :o)

I'm mostly in favor of the Many Worlds Interpretation, even though I live in Copenhagen.

"I cannot believe that God plays dice with the cosmos."
2006-07-07 07:48
Graham
Account closed

@Cruzer: I also favor the many worlds stuff. Once I saw some prof dude explain that the super-states of quantums can be interpreted as interference between two worlds which are very close to each other.

Btw, I did the 16.0 bits -> 8.8 bits square root routine, but it's untested yet. Since the routine is more than twice as big as those routines up here, I think testing is needed :D
2006-07-07 09:57
WVL

Quote: I agree that this is getting out-of-topic, which started because I was defending an 80s math teacher and the constatation (nothing you can do about it, sorry :) that, with current methods, you cannot calculate pure irrationals explicitly in this lifetime. I could start debating the true nature of numbers, Gödel's theorem, infinity, limits, whether the universe is discrete or continuous, the validity of quantum mechanics, etc. but I would recommend everyone to consult scientific literature for this.

One last thing, though. Graham: saying that infinity doesn't exist, is saying that purely irrational numbers don't exist. Or limits, or series, or gradients, or fractals, or...

now could we?

/me immediately recognizes it as the number of boobs on the average chick!
2006-07-07 11:05
Graham
Account closed

Quote: I agree that this is getting out-of-topic, which started because I was defending an 80s math teacher and the constatation (nothing you can do about it, sorry :) that, with current methods, you cannot calculate pure irrationals explicitly in this lifetime. I could start debating the true nature of numbers, Gödel's theorem, infinity, limits, whether the universe is discrete or continuous, the validity of quantum mechanics, etc. but I would recommend everyone to consult scientific literature for this.

now could we?

Well... infinity doesn't exist and we cannot calculate that. We can only prove a certain convergence.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
mutetus/Ald ^ Ons
Sokratekk
The Phantom
QuasaR/CENTRiC
Guests online: 88
Top Demos