Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Four split rasterbar with moving color and music
2009-10-28 20:56
8bitforever
Account closed

Four split rasterbar with moving color and music

Eight hours ago I proudly coded a wonderful stable four split rasterbar with the colors moving within the rasterbar with different timing.
The stable raster was provided by http://www.ffd2.com/fridge/vic/stableraster.txt.

Three hours ago I got the idea to play some music to.
I tried to place jsr $1003 in irq3. I tried to place jsr $1003 in the main or hold loop and start it at a specific raster location. The music plays fine with both methods but my wonderful four split rasterbar starting location seems to move by 1 or 2 cycles. This makes the rasterbar move slightly to the right and back. It almost moves to the music.

Question 1) What is the reason for this ?
Question 2) What can be done to make it stable again ?

... 16 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-10-29 17:15
Oswald

Everyone has their part of the truth here. I agree with all the newly made points. All I'd like to say is that dont scare the guy away. There's no golden way on how to learn coding, and we were all guilty of using code we dont know how works.

At first my thoughts were the same as yours, but seeing how fast he have solved the first problem, then moved up to split rasters - and again found the bug fast on his own - convinced me he is wanting to do his homework.
2009-10-29 17:43
plagueis
Account closed

Quote: Everyone has their part of the truth here. I agree with all the newly made points. All I'd like to say is that dont scare the guy away. There's no golden way on how to learn coding, and we were all guilty of using code we dont know how works.

At first my thoughts were the same as yours, but seeing how fast he have solved the first problem, then moved up to split rasters - and again found the bug fast on his own - convinced me he is wanting to do his homework.

Well I agree (and always have). I wanted to ensure he was not only asking questions, but also on the path to finding the answers.

-DP
2009-10-29 20:35
8bitforever
Account closed

Thanks Oswald for noticing that I coded the four split rasterbar myself. I learned a lesson in cycle counting and badlines. I'm using fungus stable rastercode mostly to make it easy for you guys here to understand what kind of framework I´m doing my stuff in. In that way I can focus my questions to what I'm actually doing or trying to do for the moment. I respect that many of you are years ahead of me. I started coding a few days ago. I would appreciate though if you could focus more on my questions. I apologize if they are to easy for you. But think of how many other beginners you might be helping when helping me with my startup questions. I think it's good to make this kind of knowledge documented in this forum.
2009-10-30 13:13
MagerValp

Quoting 8bitforever
I would appreciate though if you could focus more on my questions.

And we would appreciate though if you could focus more on our answers. Every question you have asked have been answered several times over, yet you insist on asking us to write the code for you.
2009-10-30 14:02
8bitforever
Account closed

Magervalp,
I have not asked you to code anything in this thread.
Please read my posts and you will see for yourself.

Once again, what´s the point of the forums coding section if you cannot talk about code and coding ?

2009-10-30 15:59
Skate

@8bitforever: point is, if you've learned how stable raster works, you wouldn't *forget* to remove that NOP. You forgot it there, because you used someone else's code without understanding it (even not reading the source code comments carefully). if csdb ppl complains about your questions, there is an obvious reason, think about it.
2009-10-30 21:25
Oswald

Quote: @8bitforever: point is, if you've learned how stable raster works, you wouldn't *forget* to remove that NOP. You forgot it there, because you used someone else's code without understanding it (even not reading the source code comments carefully). if csdb ppl complains about your questions, there is an obvious reason, think about it.

anyone could forget it, so you have no point here, apart from bitching someone who miracously found interest in c64 coding.
2009-10-30 21:34
TPM

i only coded stuff i understood.. cycle counting, badlines, countless nops, open sideborders, stable tech tech crunch flexible bad line anti position bars: wtf?! Did alot of research, carefully looked how others did all these tricks, talked to experts "you've got to place some nops there, duh", stared to fully 64kb memories filled with nops, incs/decs and flipping $d011s.. all useless. Just do your thing, give it some time to understand what you are doing, try to be creative within your capabilities and slightly beyond of that. Time by time you'll explore new worlds.
By the way.. have no life: code day and night, get boozed, stoned, whatever and try further :)
2009-10-31 09:44
chatGPZ

Quote:
By the way.. have no life

that sums it up quite well =D
2009-10-31 14:08
Angel of Death

Back at ya, TPM.
Amen!
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
E$G/hOKUtO fOrcE
Guests online: 88
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)
2 13:37  (9.7)
3 Mojo  (9.7)