Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > "Freezing" vote points on online CSDb compos
2013-10-11 08:31
Conrad

"Freezing" vote points on online CSDb compos

Would it be possible to have a feature like this, only for Event entries?

I'm asking because as there seems to be quite a few online CSDb compos at the moment, and the final ranking placements all rely on the voting score factors. But I have noticed the voting scores have changed slightly in the recent Font Competition 2013 for example, after various people log in and give their particular votes AFTER the compo has ended and judged.

"Freezing" the vote figures would make more sense to why each entry has a particular ranking.

Opinions?

... 1 post hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2013-10-11 09:15
Conrad

I agree, but that hasn't been applied at least for:

High-score Power Ballad Competition 2012
Crack Intro Music Competition 2013
Font Competition 2013

I'll just say it: ... they didn't think it through!
2013-10-11 11:06
Didi

For my compos I take a snapshot from the voting results at the voting deadline and post them as a separate list into the comments to preserve the state like it was when the ranking was generated, to make the result reproducible for everyone.

The voting system on CSDb is not perfect for online compos but it was never designed for that purpose. On the other hand it's the most handy way for the voters to use. Many given votes should eradicate some few strategic down- or upvotes.
2013-10-11 11:17
CreaMD

Actually this is a positive example of usage of site for something that wasn't planned. Now, when the compos are appearing here,

I think it is time to make an update that would allow better voting. E.g. voting in one place. Later different ways of voting.
2013-10-11 21:25
bepp

I think Didi's approach was fine, by "freezing" the votes as a comment to the event. Even tho csdb was not designed for voting, it's still very handy to do and it's something most regulars know how to do - and are used to do. So +1 for that. Hence, csdb voting is a good candidate if you want many voters.

The voting for X2012 comes to memory... 5 'o clock in the morning... Just saying that it can be a good thing to have a larger number of voters. Statistics you know...

Other approaches, sending mail, filling out forms etc. on other sites pose obstacles to some people (including me). Then again, it may "sift" the votes in an way that might be beneficial to the event. I.e. avoiding the anonymous downvoting issue and moar :)

There are many other ways of voting, and personally I really liked the c64.sk-voting for the Rambo compo. The drag 'n drop thing was really convenient for *me*. Then again, it might not suit all types of compos, or a larger number of entries etc. etc.
2013-10-11 22:45
redcrab

Some kind of external voting may get the honest results because you cannot see the current ranking. I do believe people tend to vote with others votes in mind in some cases..

But whatever system used the best thing in recent compos is Bepps "gallery page" where you can see all entries at once. This system could actually be included to some extent in csdb and applied to all kind of events if you ask me. It's a very neat way of finding stuff you're going back to. And even if not, please make one for this compo too dear Bepp :)
2013-10-11 23:00
hedning

I second Redcrab. Oh. And CSDb is a database, and should stay that way. Too many people seem to think CSDb is the scene. I understand why, though, as its goal is to mirror the releases of the scene.
2013-10-12 01:16
bepp

Well the gallery thingie (that was used in e.g. 3-Color-Logo Competition 2013) didn't handle any votes. Its only purpose was to give an overview of the entries. Voting was still carried out the "normal" way through csdb.

I've suggested adding the gallery to TheRyk also for the PETSCII compo, but we've agreed not to add it. If you like to discuss this further, please take it with the organizer. *drama alert* =)
2013-10-12 07:12
ChristopherJam

Yes, I'd much rather see final votes posted as a comment on the event page, regardless of their origin.
2013-10-12 08:17
Didi

bepp's overview pages are a good addition for graphics related compos in my eyes, because they are sortable by current vote and clickable to get directly to the entry (and probably place a vote). I appreciate them and would like to add them again for probably upcoming compos.
Also the HardSID MP3 rips by Mr.Ammo at the Crack intro Music Compo were very good, because not everybody has a SIDplayer handy everywhere.
Voting by email is less convenient in my eyes, so I will stick to the CSDb system in favour of user's laziness and transparency. ;)
2013-10-12 09:50
Oswald

Quote: I second Redcrab. Oh. And CSDb is a database, and should stay that way. Too many people seem to think CSDb is the scene. I understand why, though, as its goal is to mirror the releases of the scene.

As csdb mirrors the scene releases & its a virtual central point for the scene, also main release & feedback site IT IS the biggest part of the scene currently. IT IS the portal to the scene, when you are not on a party or meeting.

stop saying this, what does it mean anyway ?

if csdb is a database and should stay so, then shut down the scene related forums /discussions / release comments & private message system please, add to that the scene compos its running.
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Krill/Plush
Martin Piper
Guests online: 118
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)