Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Copperhead ! (Registered 2024-05-08) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > blocksize for first part
2008-04-12 22:42
chancer

blocksize for first part

for demo's really.

as you get some with the same name, 3 or 4.. and it would save a bit of time to know if what your upping is unique.

... 4 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2008-04-13 18:03
Vai

Hmm, many disks have set the filesize to 0 blocks or something with a disk tool.
No way I will check every file I'll add here what the real block size is.
2008-04-13 19:54
Stryyker

It requires manual intervention to find what is the first part. Some people edit directories for directory art before the main file.
2008-04-13 23:12
Skate

badly described interesting idea :) maybe this feature can be added for manual entry.
2008-04-14 05:18
Mace

I think it's not that good an idea.
It shouldn't be too easy to upload anything based on blocksize or directory-header-id-last-two-digits-whatever.

Just check what you upload, look at it for real.
After all, you need to check your uploads, to see if they work properly.
By the screenshot, you will see which one it is.

Screenshot missing?
Then THERE is the real source of your problem.

We need more screenshots! :-)
2008-04-21 08:46
Tim
Account closed

Hmm, my first reaction was -nice idea- however;

If you search on 'Rampage Demo' you get:

Rampage Demo (C64 One-File Demo) by The Terrible Two
Rampage Demo (C64 One-File Demo) by Industrial Light & Magic
Rampage Demo (C64 One-File Demo) by The Bombjacks 1212

I'd say the groupnames obviously tell you enough.

If you want to upload to csdb from your disk, I asume you atleast check what you upload, right? So you know which version you have on disk. And that's the minimum of 'work' you'd need to do before uploading.

I can give example even wurse then yours, the same game by the same group cracked in 4 or 5 different versions.

In my opinion uploading can take a lot of time to check for errors or mistakes. Let alone fix screenshots, propper credits, reading memory for scroller info's, etc.etc.

Mace makes a good point, i know he's added tons of missing screenshots that many of you are too lazy to do, so come on people.. have a little bit of pride and put your back into it when adding to the database :D
2008-06-29 00:31
chancer

Bordeaux, alas sometimes the filenames have been messed around with , so it just shows the name of the demo.. odd , but I've had a few demos like that..

OR the original title uses the whole filename for the part, and no group prefix, and even some multi demos , the extra parts are "01" "02" etc

not been porting anything for a while anyway as I've got no working aligned 1541's at the moment.

2008-06-29 00:57
Steppe

Sorry, it sounds as if it's too much to ask to actually load a file and check it out briefly before you upload it. Please tell me that I've got you wrong.
2008-06-29 04:13
The Phantom

My rules on uploading here... (personal rules)

1. Always check if it's in the 'base. Check, Check and finally check. Using VARIOUS names, sorted and unsorted.

2. if #1 fails, I go to the GROUP who released "whatever", to see if it's listed there.

3. I never upload anything that's already here. Be it a game or utility, a different crack or what have you. Today for example, I was going to upload a file that was version 2.0, there was a version 2.1 in the 'base, I didn't bother uploading it.

4. If all else fails, download the file(s) and check it against yours.

If you have doubts, upload the file anyway. Don't LOCK it, as I don't lock any files I upload because I might have wrong infos, or it might be here under a different name. There has been several files I've uploaded that were listed under a different name, which someone else deleted. Which is cool by me because i'm still making an effort to add stuff. if it's here already and I upload it, oops.
2008-09-29 16:28
chancer

Quote: Sorry, it sounds as if it's too much to ask to actually load a file and check it out briefly before you upload it. Please tell me that I've got you wrong.

yep Steppe you have. In the sense of the silly amount of disks I've got to port go thru, and some of the more UK oriented things that only mail traders from back in the day would get. Porting is taking a long time, I just thought it would be a bit more straight forward.

Not all the demos I've come across have a group prefix at the name , or along the line someone has edited the name of the first part and it doesn't show that. (mainly older stuff I have that issue with)

I've stopped porting things for a while as I've got hhm 3 none working 1541's of various sorts that need fixing, and I don't use RR net etc.. so it does take a long while.

2008-09-29 23:34
Ymgve

If you have too much stuff to go through by yourself, post the disks in the MOVERS treasure thread, so others can participate too.
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Unlock/Padua/Albion
A3/AFL
eryngi
CopAss/Leader
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
csabanw