Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Defilus ! (Registered 2024-10-04) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Linking to files in CSDb directly
2008-12-08 15:05
Cruzer

Linking to files in CSDb directly

I'm getting an error msg on pouet.net saying "please link to the file directly" when I try to submit a prod with a download link from CSDb. Guess this is a new "feature" they added recently, since this always used to work. Unless CSDb has changed the way files are linked ofcoz.

Anyway, since the Pouët'ers don't seem to wanna change this, and since I'm too lazy to upload the files elsewhere - is there any way to link to the files in CSDb more directly than copying the URL location or the URL caption, both of which have started producing the before-mentioned error?
2008-12-08 16:25
Perff
Administrator

If you use urls looking like:
http://noname.c64.org/csdb/getinternalfile.php/XXX/filename.ext
I can't see why it should not work on any foreign site, unless they added some block for it.
2008-12-09 11:42
Cruzer

I tried these two, which gave the same error:

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/getinternalfile.php/68944/octopusinr..
http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/download.php?id=92689

It always used to work, so I don't know why they decided to block it.
2008-12-09 15:11
chatGPZ

none of these is a direct link, so ... :) (pouet? who cares? =P)
2008-12-09 16:53
Cruzer

Quote:
none of these is a direct link, so ... :)

Well, one of them ends with .prg - but do you know a way to link more directly?

Quote:
(pouet? who cares? =P)

I did it for teh glöps. :)
2008-12-09 18:13
Perff
Administrator

As Groepaz said none of these links are actually direct links.

The one with download.php, is a counter-script, which counts how many downloads are made, and then forwards to the correct url.

The other link with getinternalfile.php, should appear as a direct link to anyone on the outside (that how it's supposed to work), but it actually is a script also, which fetches the file from whereever it's actually located, and pases it along.

True direct linking is not possible, as the files are stored where it's not available to the public directly. Still I think the getinternalfile-thing ought to work, so... ??
2008-12-09 18:36
hollowman

Once upon a time someone said that the http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/download.php?id=xxx links should be used when linking from pouet

Quoting Groepaz

none of these is a direct link, so ... :) (pouet? who cares? =P)

While your comments and smileys are ever so interesting
2008-12-09 18:54
Burglar

Quote:
The one with download.php, is a counter-script, which counts how many downloads are made, and then forwards to the correct url.

yes, not a great solution, imho. it causes problems, one being the pouet thing, the other is that this is about the only site that doesn't allow me to auto-open .d64, .prg or even .zip (which sucks badly).

I'd be happy to rewrite it for you in a way that local forwards aren't used and that the right content/mime-types are set properly, while retaining the ability to count every download.

but oh well, I offered my help twice already, no response... so I'll continue to click links, save file, go to folder, open file, start vice, yawn.
2008-12-09 19:08
Perff
Administrator

Quoting Burglar
yes, not a great solution, imho. it causes problems, one being the pouet thing, the other is that this is about the only site that doesn't allow me to auto-open .d64, .prg or even .zip (which sucks badly).

Hm. Funny. Works fine for me. Click the dl-link. Chose "open file", and vice starts and run.
So as long as I don't know any different I don't fix what is not broken. :)

Quoting Burglar
I'd be happy to rewrite it for you in a way that local forwards aren't used and that the right content/mime-types are set properly, while retaining the ability to count every download.

Well, I would be glad to get help to set the content/mime-types better if I did something wrong. I did what I thought was right back when I made it.
Help is always gladly accepted. Can't remember you offerings to help about this earlier.. Sorry.
2008-12-11 18:11
Burglar

I'll drop you a pm this weekend, Perff, got some relatively simple ideas that can improve a couple of things drastically (performance!), without the need to change anything in the codebase.
Also need to figure out what exactly is going on with the content/mimetypes. Should have some time on sunday ;)
2008-12-11 22:07
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Uh, CSDB still has the nasty bug, when you dl a file with "'" in the filename, then all after that sign is removed!
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
t0m3000/HF^BOOM!^IBX
Isildur/Samar
4gentE/ΤRIΛD
iceout/Avatar/HF
Freeze/Blazon
Icon/TRIAD