Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #237162 : Tribute to Vangelis
2023-12-15 00:38
Oswald

Release id #237162 : Tribute to Vangelis

@4gent,

1) feels you took those quotes out of context
2) I even said to 2 girls on the schoolyard when I was 9 that I'm never gonna have sex because its disgusting
3) Talent added so much of his own, that I consider it an original work, Vermeer traced outlines with pinhole camera, Talent used another work for reference I couldnt care less.

... 192 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2023-12-16 11:56
4gentE

This looks like a dead end.

I honestly cannot believe that someone who is not Oswald or Peacemaker (talking to you Nim), someone who understands graphics, after so many signs, after even the pixels of the ‘phantom’ hand seen through the beard can say that there was no conversion whatsoever. But, I said it before, maybe I’m in my ‘bubble’ and the reality is something completely different from what seems obvious to me.

What I don’t understand is this amount of backlash.
Graphicians produce their masterpieces these days with a whole arsenal of tools. Conversion being only one of them. Conversion is not a swear word. We’re not talking about lazy worthless converts here. Conversion being deployed as only one element of many does not reduce the value of Talents exquisite work (speaking strictly for myself here).

Peace.
2023-12-16 12:50
Electric

Quoting Oswald
"Yes, and in any case copy is a copy and a conv is a conv. Both no-nos in gfx compos. It was that '87 and it's that today. Nothing changed here."

This looks like a straight convert, congrats for your 2nd place.

So you had to dig +26 years into the past to the 21-yo me to find my Lisa Bonet? … this by avoiding the close 100 images done during 2000s you did not find much about?

You can find lots more from the 90s if you want - these are no secrets as told. Let me know about the converters of that era too as I did not have any. There were rumours some had but looking at the works released those days I think most of it came bit later. I can send you my Donald Duck drawings too from when I was 7.

I already wrote here that my 80s and 90s pics - like most of the era's - are almost all based on references. Called it and call it sort of 'technical period' on all the scenes indeed – the most iconic scene pics like the 'Hair of the Dog' from Cougar (that I traced into PETSCII) are hand-pixeled own versions of the original references.

Our “history” part of the Pixeled Years -exhibition presenting demoscene had ONE original Finnish C64 fullscreen pixel image from 80s-90s. Rest used references fully or partially. There’s lots to dig into.

I think the main problem in the beginning was to outline / sketch something. It was really tricky as free pen drawing was not really practical at least in any of the software I was using – most lacked it completely. This is a good example of bad own try (1993): Compopic

Took some studying and practising to learn to work on my own stuff. New tools helped.

FYI: this one (like all the 90s) pics was done by:

a) photocopying the original into the size or my 15" telly
b) by tracing outlines on transparent sheet with a pen
c) sheet bluetagged on the telly and then traced the outlines from there to the software. Colouring then done by trying to imitate the image, with better or worse results.
(d) dreaming of a scanner)

A pic like Talent’s Vangelis would’ve been wizardry back then, like it is now.
2023-12-16 12:51
Nim

Quote: This looks like a dead end.

I honestly cannot believe that someone who is not Oswald or Peacemaker (talking to you Nim), someone who understands graphics, after so many signs, after even the pixels of the ‘phantom’ hand seen through the beard can say that there was no conversion whatsoever. But, I said it before, maybe I’m in my ‘bubble’ and the reality is something completely different from what seems obvious to me.

What I don’t understand is this amount of backlash.
Graphicians produce their masterpieces these days with a whole arsenal of tools. Conversion being only one of them. Conversion is not a swear word. We’re not talking about lazy worthless converts here. Conversion being deployed as only one element of many does not reduce the value of Talents exquisite work (speaking strictly for myself here).

Peace.

Talent uses Photoshop CC 2015 and a tool written by Edhellon (or was it Oswald?) to check for colour clashes, that is all.
2023-12-16 13:33
Electric

Quoting Nim
Talent uses Photoshop CC 2015 and a tool written by Edhellon (or was it Oswald?) to check for colour clashes, that is all.

Thanks! I think (or how I would prolly try it) the dithering is then done via layers – having the same image with multiple dark / light / toned versions split on at least two layers presented then as odd/even pixel via masking… with additional brushing on the image and masks. Needs prolly lots of tuning though to make it into a pipeline. I'm assumingly wrong here but can't resist betting.
2023-12-16 13:46
Peacemaker

2023-12-16 14:04
The Sarge

Just imagine how much confusion and trolling we could have avoided if Talent could have answered a simple question himself. We could also have saved a lot of time.

I met him at X and he seems like a decent normal man that could talk.

So I don't get this at all. It's pretty normal wanting to know more. Especially in the field you work in. I use to go to seminars where real talents show their complete process. Nothing wrong with that.

Sharing is caring.
2023-12-16 14:28
Oswald

"Just imagine how much confusion and trolling we could have avoided if Talent could have answered a simple question himself. "

Zero. Electric still goes on about how its an automated process.

"So I don't get this at all. It's pretty normal wanting to know more."

Thats not what have happened here. You have came with accusations of cheating and copying. You have blamed Talent for not giving credit to the original artist while you practice the same thing yourselves.
2023-12-16 14:38
The Sarge

Alright. The answer I expected. I was probably foolishly thinking that maybe, just maybe Talent would join this merry bunch of people discussing this.

I guess we have to live in doubt forever if its converted or not or whatever.
The clouds will never lift.

You can't always get what you want I guess. :)
2023-12-16 15:06
Oswald

"I guess we have to live in doubt forever if its converted or not or whatever."

NiM just answered your "question" on how Talent works, you still keep on with the trolling as I just said you would.

Btw, why didnt you ask Talent when you were in the same group? Obviously you're not interested in the answer, you just play games.

Talent has a lot of years of work in this style. Maybe you better work on your technique, instead of throwing mud.
2023-12-16 15:12
The Sarge

Nim basically said "he paints" and that was it.
It's like asking how that excellent code was done and get "He codes in KickAssembler"
We both know it's more advanced than that.
:D

I did ask him. Never showed me much there either. As we both know he was very absent from that Discord too.

But this is going nowhere until Talent joins this even more merry bunch of people.
Still clouded. Even darker.
Previous - 1 | ... | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | ... | 21 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
curtcool
St0rmfr0nt/Quantum
Luke/The Obsessed Ma..
celticdesign/G★P/M..
kbs/Pht/Lxt
megasoftargentina