Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #237162 : Tribute to Vangelis
2023-12-15 00:38
Oswald

Release id #237162 : Tribute to Vangelis

@4gent,

1) feels you took those quotes out of context
2) I even said to 2 girls on the schoolyard when I was 9 that I'm never gonna have sex because its disgusting
3) Talent added so much of his own, that I consider it an original work, Vermeer traced outlines with pinhole camera, Talent used another work for reference I couldnt care less.

... 192 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2023-12-26 01:30
spider-j

Quoting Peacemaker
Pal: Where you see the keyboard, the source is ofcourse Talents c64 koala pic.

ofcourse
2023-12-26 08:32
Peacemaker

Quote: Quoting Peacemaker
Pal: Where you see the keyboard, the source is ofcourse Talents c64 koala pic.

ofcourse

hahah =)
2023-12-26 10:09
Oswald

@Iridon,

A converter can only approximate the original color with c64 colors which is not whats happening.
2023-12-26 10:15
chatGPZ

By now all i want to know is how i can make such stunning pictures with a few clicks. Apparently no skills are involved. At all.
2023-12-26 17:07
Joe

I missed this tread completely and it's a sad one. It makes me disgusted at all points, I will throw up every time I see Vangelis or hear his music further on. If I ever see any of those diagonal dithering again I will stay home from work.
2023-12-26 18:22
Burglar

Quoting Joe
If I ever see any of those diagonal dithering again I will stay home from work.

hahaha, nice one Joe! <3
best line in this thread
2023-12-27 23:30
Iridon

Quote: Iridon: What are we looking at here? Is it created from Talent's image or the ZBrush image? How would it turn out if you applied your magic to a random image from the internet, like taking a snippet of Gandalf's face and running it through your wizardry? (http://tinyurl.com/3yxbc96a)

Did I miss something in your post? Have you generated something very similar, or is it all based on Talent's insanely great pixels throughout?

If you've developed a method to achieve similar results, that's intriguing regardless. Looking forward to understanding more!

Edit: While writing this, you posted more with additional examples, but still, can you simply swap images and achieve similar results? If so, that's the pipeline stuff I've been trying to figure out after all this came up. However, your tests seem to involve a more technical approach compared to my ninja moves. I'm just a humble idiot who had to make several conversions and then blend them all to even attempt simulating something like Talent's pixels.

Ok I see what you say... as my assumption also... I could create a look alike bad and not great but to make it that real like Talent do is insane!

So I hope this clear now how "my" pipeline work right?

I "discovered" this by taking 4 of Talents images into photoshop. Duplicating each one to a layer above itself. Setting that layer to 50% opacity and moving it one pixel down. And Magic! Suddenly you have a "normal" non dithered 256 color image.

Basically you make the image in 256 colors (i think its 240 or so) with the palette that is the blended values between two of the C64 16colors.

And then they conversion seem to make it pretty good in Photoshop. One could also of course write a pretty basic converter. You make and image in 160x100 and then it reads the pixels and creates a new "pixel" of 2x2 pixels where you just have a look up. the 256 color index point to an index of 256 dither colors so to speak.

My point was that no you can not take any image, manually created or converted down from a true color photo. It will look like shit. So its still a lot of work to know what of the dither colors look good.

So for me as long as the artwork is original take no credit really from the artist. Its just speeding up the tedios ordered dithering.

Even with using reference I feel its a great work Talent does.

Its just that I do not see his "style" so unique anymore. Its a conversion of 256 colors down to optical ones using 2x2 dither pixels from 16 colors. (actually this is how the palette Sierra used in their games was made. Funny part is that on emulator now you can recreate the images without dither.

https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/questions/8704/what-wa..
2023-12-28 00:03
Iridon

Quote: Pal: Where you see the keyboard, the source is ofcourse Talents c64 koala pic.

So I tested with Gandalf. As no its not a very nice end result. But that is also expected as the converion from the original image to the 256 color "hipalette" one looked so so.

So what would be interested is how the end result would look if I cleaned up the 256 color image and did some test what colors converts best to the "DitherLowPalette" If I get some time this weekend I might do that.

2023-12-28 00:14
Iridon

Quote: @Iridon,

A converter can only approximate the original color with c64 colors which is not whats happening.

Oh with this tech it do not need to aproximate. It knows.

Any of the 256 Hicolor color indexes is created from blending 2 of the 16 C64 colors together. So asuming the image is half res in height = each pixel is 2 pixel high, when converting it down to an image with double the height this "pure" color (created from the c16 colors) will be replaced with those two colors = opically the EXACT color.

Will that always look good? Of course not. But it will be an exact conversion of the pure 256 picture to a 16 color checkerboard aligned dithered picture. No approximation at all.

Basically its an additive color pixel version of how the printing process works. There its higher resolution and subtractive instead. So look at any printed magazine that feature a photo as source. They look almost the same, so its not really an aproximation.

Or to be clear. Yes its an approximation of course but one that depening on color, resolution, light can look almost exact as the original.

Remember that with printing its only FOUR color. Not 16, and still most photos you view in your daily life you percieve as having "all colors" :)
2023-12-28 00:47
PAL

...is it something I do not understand here? looks nothing like the results your hunting for?
Previous - 1 | ... | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
katon/Lepsi De
zzarko
Elder0010/G★P
psych
Viti/Hokuto Force
PARALAX/Zenzsoft / P..