Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Group id #1754 : Triton Technology
2008-01-04 23:56
TDJ

Group id #1754 : Triton Technology

So, j0x made the next comment regarding Real D.Y.S.P.:

"I'd say this wasn't released in 1987, but in (early) 1988. It was apparently made as a response to Triangle's d.y.s.p. demo (PhotonDYSP, released in December 1987), mentioning that Dosman had made Triton's d.y.s.p. "back in november 1987" and the scroll ends with "jokes are all (c) by the triton headquaters 1988!!"

At first my gut feeling told me he was wrong, but then I did some digging, and now I'm not so sure anymore.

First of all, the year that Triton T. was dissolved is set to 1987. I might even have done this myself, based on the fact that I really believed The Funeral, their last demo, to be from that year. However, checking the scrolltexts of that demo mentions a (c) 1988 ex-Triton T. Also, there are at least 2 other demos from 1988 (High Tech and Cosmic Copyparty).

So, although Dwangi mentions in the trivia that "Most of the members of Triton Technology formed Upfront in late 1987.", I now think that yes, 1988 is the year this group stopped their activities. And Real D.Y.S.P. was probably released that year as well, just like j0x stated.

But what really puzzled me is the "Most of the members" part of Dwangi's statement. The memberlists shows only 2 people being in both groups (Ray and Zoro). Does this mean that some people changed their handles? Or was Dwangi off again?

To me this group was one of the great from those days, so I hope somebody here can shine more light on this matter. I'll start by setting the dissolved day to 1988.

One more thing: I also noticed that somebody reset the release type of The Funeral to music collection. Ofcourse I have no idea who this is but please people, just because a part has several tunes in it that can be selected by pressing various keys, doesn't mean it's a music collection! Such parts were very common back then, mainly because most music was taken from games.

... 37 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2008-01-18 10:19
TDJ

Quote: don't take those charts too serious, the voting is pretty broken =P

Also, Einstein received too few votes, probably because most of the people voting here weren't around when he was active.

Then again, I haven't voted for him myself, maybe I should change that right away ;)
2008-01-18 14:58
SIDWAVE
Account closed

On Upfront party in 1988, Einstein had a SCSI harddisk connected to his C64 with many many wires. He built that interface himself!
2008-01-18 15:10
chatGPZ

Quote:

probably because most of the people voting here weren't around when he was active.

more like, most people do not vote at all, and if they do, they vote for the recently added popular stuff and maybe their friends (and themselves ofcourse =P)
2008-01-18 15:10
Tech
Account closed

I seriously doubt that... it might have been his Amiga<->C64 assember and an external harddrive for the amiga, but I don't think I have any recollection of that, and we spent a fair amount of time working on tha demo.

So I looked over the event calendar and I know for sure that mixer was after the party in Tommerup, as well as before the xmas party in Randers where we dodn't finish Too Drunk to Fuck.

In mind my that pretty much leaves us with the dexion party a week before tommerup and the Hexagon in late october.... ? And I'm don't recall being somewhere the week before tommerup

Can someone fix that for Mixer ?
2008-01-18 19:26
Graham
Account closed

Quoting Tech
Unclear if you ever saw his unique development facility.... it is best described as a highly unstable nuclear reaction.

Which sounds like a VSP/AGSP bug (hardware scrolling). Those effects are unstable on about 50% of all C64's.

Quoting Tech
One thing that bother me though - Einstein is not at the top of coder list. He pushed the limits relentlessly.

This might have to do with the fact that Upfront only released one big demo. There are two demos which ranked quite high in demo competitions but were never released, so nobody outside those parties ever saw what limits have been pushed in those demos.

Anyway, Einstein is on place 21 which is pretty good considering the amount of demos the C64 has seen.
2008-01-18 20:21
Tech
Account closed

Quote: Quoting Tech
Unclear if you ever saw his unique development facility.... it is best described as a highly unstable nuclear reaction.

Which sounds like a VSP/AGSP bug (hardware scrolling). Those effects are unstable on about 50% of all C64's.

Quoting Tech
One thing that bother me though - Einstein is not at the top of coder list. He pushed the limits relentlessly.

This might have to do with the fact that Upfront only released one big demo. There are two demos which ranked quite high in demo competitions but were never released, so nobody outside those parties ever saw what limits have been pushed in those demos.

Anyway, Einstein is on place 21 which is pretty good considering the amount of demos the C64 has seen.

No no... Although I was never great coder... I'm familar with the general concept ;)- it was more something like this.... if you have go to the bathroom.... the turn on the hot water in the sink while standing on one foot, while flushing, otherwise my computer goes to hell....

It wasn't my intention to offend you, so if that's the case I apologize.

But - although I know that it's hard to compare coders - I saw him do things that were unreal at the time, I'll vouch with vital body parts that he was first with quite a few techniques.... D.Y.S.P, Text D.Y.S.P, Full width bitmaps with a D.Y.S.P on top while playing samples and the D011 scrolling which is why he needed to come up with the amiga assembler....

But wow.... He had as much sense of esthetics as an ingrown nail... C64 was fun....wow... At the party in Tommerup in '88 I saw omege supreme coding .... His preferred tool at the time was the disk monitor in a n Epyx Fastloader.... it was insane..... None the less what I'm voicing my personal opinion, and those don't ever compare...

Have a great weekend everyone!

--Tech

2008-01-19 11:05
Graham
Account closed

Quoting Tech
I'll vouch with vital body parts that he was first with quite a few techniques.... D.Y.S.P

Yep, I remember the real DYSP demo from TT but (like most people) didn't know that Einstein = Dosman.

Quoting Tech
It wasn't my intention to offend you, so if that's the case I apologize.

I wasn't being offended. I only wanted to point out that many people only have seen Mixer and nothing else. To get the attention of the people it just takes more than one megademo.

Quoting Tech
and the D011 scrolling

Which only works on 50% of all C64's. I for example have never used $D011 scrolling in my stuff because my computer crashes instantly since memory gets corrupted. There are multiple theories why that happens, one of them is that the DRAM refresh (which is done by the VIC-II) somehow is dropped and the memory slowly fades away. It's a well known problem, many C64 and C128 models have it.
2008-01-20 01:23
Tech
Account closed

Well good I didn't do that, because the last thing I want to do is open up the old "I can do that a lot better" can of worms.... living through that once was quite sufficient.

I am really bummed that the code for "Too drunk to fuck" seems to be lost forever, there were some things in that might still be cool.... None the less, gone are those days, but I don't think I'll ever get rid of the desire to do something cool..... not for money or fame - Just to show the disbelievers that it can!

2008-01-20 11:30
chatGPZ

just do it (tm) :=)
2020-12-23 16:15
Tech
Account closed

There is still hope!

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
csio/monarchy c+4
Inge/HVSC
Guests online: 366
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)