Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > a plea from an old schooler
2010-07-17 16:03
STE'86

a plea from an old schooler

please dont use modified PAL emulating screenshots for pictures on this site.

people may want to use this site to download unmodified c64 art in gif or png format with pure pixel definition.

if they want to see the stuff in highly debatable pal emulation mode people can download the PRG files and view them in that mode on an emulator.

Thanks
Steve

... 167 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-07-18 07:27
v3to

cresh: agree. csdb is no pixeljoint.
2010-07-18 09:45
cba

It was me who modified the screen dumps, I really thought they were so horrible ugly and replaced them with
the standard VICE ones.

The VICE screen dump is practically standard here.

2010-07-18 10:00
Count Zero

And CBA is right in going that way. A quick and dirty screenshot with VICE is just fine - no matter what VIC emulation is set. We should merely discuss _WHAT_ people capture sometimes.
2010-07-18 11:26
chatGPZ

Quote:
It was me who modified the screen dumps, I really thought they were so horrible ugly and replaced them with
the standard VICE ones.

and thats the hillarious part - standard vice screenshots dont use PAL emulation at all. and now i have to wonder if the original poster can tell apart active pal emulation from simply using a different palette. (and yes, the pepto palette is practically standard here, as are full screen screenshots including borders)
2010-07-18 12:20
JCB
Account closed

Yeah, first it's memory, then it's Ste can't tell the difference. At an unscaled size neither can I so that's fair enough but I'll bet most other people couldn't either. PAL emulation really comes into it's own on the bigger/scaled images imo and that's where c64pixels is getting it right, keep a "clean" copy, add pal emulation to bigger ones.
2010-07-18 13:15
chatGPZ

please - recapitulate the facts.

fact is that the vast majority of screenshots does NOT use pal emulation at all. infact people usually only bother to do that seldomly, and only for certain pictures that simply look horrible without (you might want to browse through recent works of mermaid, hein, joe for example).

another fact is, that the screenshot made by cba in particular did not use pal emulation. it (most probably) DID use the pepto palette though, which kindof is the de facto standard.

now reread the first post. to me its obvious that someone mixed up the use of the pepto palette with actual pal emulation. (which i have to admit is easly possible if a picture doesnt really use/need the pal features for mixed colors). and that again tells me that whole complaint isn't so much about pal emulation at all, but about the personal favour for a certain palette.

and as said before, we dont have a rule for that here - for various reasons mentioned before in this thread.

in the unlikely event that we would some day introduce gallery features similar to what c64pixels has, there would be ofcourse the need to introduce much stricter standards, including the stuff you mentioned. and we would most likely require 16 color .png screenshots including borders, using the pepto palette, and no pal emulation :)
2010-07-18 13:36
JCB
Account closed

I totally get what you're saying, I think Ste was just a bit pissed that someone "thought they were so horrible ugly" that they thought replacing the uploaders own art with their version was ok and decided to have a complain ;) As you've said, Pepto/PAL can be easily confused so Ste presumed that's what had been done.

Ok, locking uploads is the way to go there but the original artist isn't always available to "handle" their own work.

Pete
2010-07-18 18:47
Deev

Quoting Cresh
Who cares about screenshots?!
It is just a preview.
Run the file on c64 to see how does it really look like.

That doesn't always happen for gfx releases though. If I've spent hours working on a picture and I know that some people will judge it entirely on the screenshot, I want to make sure the screenshot looks as good as I can make it.
2010-07-19 00:10
STE'86

WHOOPS!
I have now realised that what i took at first glance as "emulation" was in fact firefox doing its annoying "thing" and antialiasing the pepto (spit) palette.

sorry about the confusion but nothing and i do mean NOTHING will ever convince me to use that palette :)

but Pete was right in that i was really pissed off that my placeholder screenshots were all replaced by pepto ones.

anyway all have been replaced again now with new ones (u may need to refresh the pages. i had to). its taken me all day. Oswald if u read this put a bloody 16 colour Gif save in p1! :)

apologies

Steve
2010-07-19 04:22
Skate

I couldn't read all of the posts but here is my suggestion.

* Users always upload unmodified images (no PAL emulation).
* Site automatically generates a PAL emulated copy using PHP's gd2 library.
* PAL emulation option is added to product pages.

I'm %50 serious. :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | ... | 18 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
A3/AFL
Matt
QuasaR/CENTRiC
Guests online: 89
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)