Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > a plea from an old schooler
2010-07-17 16:03
STE'86

a plea from an old schooler

please dont use modified PAL emulating screenshots for pictures on this site.

people may want to use this site to download unmodified c64 art in gif or png format with pure pixel definition.

if they want to see the stuff in highly debatable pal emulation mode people can download the PRG files and view them in that mode on an emulator.

Thanks
Steve

... 167 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-07-19 10:09
enthusi

then people can upload their gfx to devianart directly IMHO.
2010-07-19 11:37
chatGPZ

"sorry about the confusion but nothing and i do mean NOTHING will ever convince me to use that palette :)"

except we'd actually introduce standards for screenshots as you and JCB suggested =P
2010-07-19 12:16
JCB
Account closed

Quote: "sorry about the confusion but nothing and i do mean NOTHING will ever convince me to use that palette :)"

except we'd actually introduce standards for screenshots as you and JCB suggested =P

That's not what we suggested and you know it ;)

We asked for "clean" images. Palette doesn't matter apart from to the owner/creator of the image who would like you to see it as he does. They should get to decide if it looks right, or would you recolour some classical art because you're used to seeing it only on TV and not in a gallery so that's how it looks to you?

I've got zero problem with Pepto as a palette, I don't use it because "to me" it doesn't look right but we know there are many reasons for that from VIC revision to TV/monitor settings. Hell, for all any of us know all our PC monitors are calibrated differently... then what? You'd have to send out a professionally printed palette card for everyone to test their monitors against :)

Pete
2010-07-19 12:20
enthusi

additionally the color perception differs dramatically from person to person (and in a way, from gender to gender)...

@groepaz: you heard it!
Add all sorts of dichromacy to the PAL emu!

And to quote Newton on the very subject: "rays are not colored".
2010-07-19 12:50
chatGPZ

Quote:
That's not what we suggested and you know it ;)
We asked for "clean" images.

you asked for introducing a standard for screenshots. and the only way this would actually make sense, and allow various automatic processing steps, would be to not only agree on a common format and size, but also a common palette. and, beeing the de facto standard, this would be the pepto palette.

Quote:
Palette doesn't matter apart from to the owner/creator of the image who would like you to see it as he does. They should get to decide if it looks right, or would you recolour some classical art because you're used to seeing it only on TV and not in a gallery so that's how it looks to you?

there is a big difference between a drawing and a c64 picture. *every* time you watch a c64 picture you "recolor" it. there is no way to watch it exactly the same way as the artist did except watching it on the artists setup. and one important aspect of c64 art actually is exactly that. just like sid tunes must be "designed" to sound ok on everyones chips, c64 pictures shouldnt be designed for someones specific setup. if i load up some picture on my setup and look at it, what i see is always "right" - even if the absolute colors may be totally different from what the original artist used.

2010-07-19 13:10
JCB
Account closed

How can there be a standard palette when it doesn't match what the artist saw? You're now saying you know better than them.

As for things being different on each machine, of course that's true, but that just means its more important "to the artist" to be able to use the palette they think matches the best.

With SIDs there's even a CD of Galways music as HE heard it from his machine. It's just an inconvenience to try to make music either without filters etc so it doesn't screw up but I'd imagine the musicians would prefer if it was possible for everyone to hear it as they did and to Ste the palette he's currently using on his Gifs is as close to what he saw as possible. You disagree, fine but it's not your art to screw with..

2010-07-19 13:18
chatGPZ

Quote:
As for things being different on each machine, of course that's true, but that just means its more important "to the artist" to be able to use the palette they think matches the best.

quite the contrary. as said before, csdb is not an art gallery. screenshots are just that, screenshots.

i am with enthusi here, we should display them scaled 4:1 and in pink. should be enough to decide wether the prg is worth checking out.

what you demand equals the "need" to add an mp3 recording from the original artists machine to each sid entry. vaguely interesting maybe, but practically irrelevant - atleast here.

2010-07-19 13:23
JCB
Account closed

Quote: Quote:

quite the contrary. as said before, csdb is not an art gallery. screenshots are just that, screenshots.

i am with enthusi here, we should display them scaled 4:1 and in pink. should be enough to decide wether the prg is worth checking out.

what you demand equals the "need" to add an mp3 recording from the original artists machine to each sid entry. vaguely interesting maybe, but practically irrelevant - atleast here.

Hold on a minute, you're the one who just said you would apply this standard to all images IF you turned it into more of an image repository/database.

As far as the SID stuff "needing" to be done, it would be nice, just as it would be nice if artists could upload images in the colour..... ohhh wait!

2010-07-19 18:28
Count Zero

Quote: Hold on a minute, you're the one who just said you would apply this standard to all images IF you turned it into more of an image repository/database.

As far as the SID stuff "needing" to be done, it would be nice, just as it would be nice if artists could upload images in the colour..... ohhh wait!

Erm, no grp did not - he was merely pointing out what consequences and prerequisites are required for actually achieving a proper "gallery".

His first line on the match was: "CSDb is not an art repository".

All of groepaz' explanations are just fine - just get it straight, JCB.
2010-07-19 18:37
JCB
Account closed

Sorry dude, you make no sense in the context of recent posts. He specifically said earlier in the thread that IF in the unlikely event a gallery was started... You can go read it if you want, then he turns it round to somehow be demands made by US about standards? wrong. We've made no demands apart from let artists upload images how THEY want them to look. Hell, it wasn't even a demand but a request.

Also, that word you used, match, just confirms what I think that some people see this type of shit as an argument to win and will twist things people say so they have something to attack.
Previous - 1 | ... | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | ... | 18 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
MaD ][/Starship
Mike
Airwolf/F4CG
Guests online: 115
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)