Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > The obskure 1st release world!
2019-03-06 19:43
E$G

The obskure 1st release world!

Dear sceners & overall 1st release site & mags editors,
few days ago we went for a 1st release proposing and old game that we improved as we usually like to do:
Zig Zag +2DG

Few hours later Hedning/GP u/l an old crack of the same game:
Zig Zag

concerning to the rulez this automatically set our release as not to be 1st one.

No matter, we enjoyed the fun in do it and the positive feedback that most of time receive. But our target was not reached.

So please I like to know:
- is it correct that if an old crack pop up after the release that until that time wasn't available in the usual dbase vaults clean his value? I'm talking about mainly csdb &gb64.

- what is the exact/correct time that an old release can be resurrected to kill a 1st release - I said this because in my 12k double side old snail mail trade floppies I remember to have some of the 1st releases of last 6 years cracked by old group/sceners, but due to my lack of time probably will be buried with me!

- if there are no rulez about this yet, to finalize the perfection of 1st release system it will be nice to make suggestion about it.

I remember to the kind readers that there are some collection that are not shared yet or will remain pri-vate as request by the suppliers. Many unreleased side belong to Mason, Hedning, the transfer team and so on.
I don't point my finger to them because I know that free time suck and after the transfer a lot more must be spent to u/l in a decent way to our csdb.

Last but not least it will be useful to have a list of the dir contents to avoid waste of time.

This is my humble opinion of course. It could also happen that after the adrenaline rush when a new game is released most of 1st release group prefere this kind of risk.
Anyway I have great expectations about more clear rulez.

ThanX

E$G/ Hokuto Force

... 37 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2019-03-07 08:59
Raistlin

My 2cents..

First releases are nothing to do with CSDB ... it's a database. I see people repeatedly mention this - and yet the tag is still present.

Right now the main first release lists are Propaganda List and the VN alternative to that. These lists are based off rules developed over many years of course.

If First Releases are seen as a competition and they're not interesting for some - I know Bacchus had ideas for changes - then just create a 3rd competition? A monthly game, somehow chosen randomly (not easy of course as if someone knows the game in advance then they have a huge advantage), where everyone competes on certain criteria.. total disk space, number of (genuine) trainers, etc.

The existing First Release competitions are of course fun for those who like them .. and I imagine that the risks of wasting money and time add to the strength of it. It shouldn't be as easy as just being the first to spot a game show up on eBay - that's only part of the game, surely?
2019-03-07 09:31
enthusi

I agree with hednings 1st reply (if anyone cares).
And to calm down I suggest to remove "first release" flag from entries here and instead introduce a "best release" :)
2019-03-07 09:40
Flavioweb

Quoting enthusi
I suggest to remove "first release" flag from entries here and instead introduce a "best release" :)

2019-03-07 10:18
cba

To avoid such a problems in the future, just ask Mason for his arkiv.lst file and check if there is already a crack of a game in his archive.

A quick grep :

Z\ZigZag+-ACE.zip
Z\ZigZag+-Dram.zip
Z\ZigZag+-Laser.zip
Z\ZigZag+-Lightforce.zip
Z\ZigZag+-Papillons.zip
Z\ZigZag+11-Nostalgia.zip
Z\ZigZag+2-SAP.zip
Z\ZigZag-Anden.zip
Z\ZigZag-Antitrax.zip
Z\ZigZag-Double.zip
Z\ZigZag-FantasyCrackingService.zip
Z\ZigZag-Hotline&RAD.zip
Z\ZigZag-Hotline.zip
Z\ZigZag-Ikari.zip
Z\ZigZag-Level99.zip
Z\ZigZag-SoftrunnerGroup.zip
Z\ZigZag-TCP.zip
Z\ZigZag-THT.zip
Z\ZigZag-TheGoonies.zip
Z\ZigZag-WandererGroup.zip
Z\ZigZag-Yeti.zip
Z\ZigZag2+-RoughTradeIncorporated&TSM.zip
Z\ZigZag2-NDC.zip
Z\ZigZagTheRemix+-TAW.zip
Z\ZigZagTheRemix+-Thanatos.zip
2019-03-07 10:33
Smasher

cba, those are A.Crowther's zigzag, a different and cooler game.
I remember Zig Zag +2DG very well probably because of the funny green monster. I played it in the far past and I didn't buy the original, which means: it was cracked.
2019-03-07 11:01
spider-j

Quoting cba
A quick grep

Unfortunately 'grep'-ing a text-list won't give you the info that most of the results refer to another game with the same name ;-)
2019-03-07 11:04
cba

Quote: Quoting cba
A quick grep

Unfortunately 'grep'-ing a text-list won't give you the info that most of the results refer to another game with the same name ;-)

Sure I agree, this list just helps you to see if something has been cracked and then you'll need to dig deeper if there zigzag is the one you'll have.
2019-03-07 12:51
chatGPZ

Quote:
As csdb should mirror the scene the element ”1st release” should be used for releases that is considered 1st releases by the scene. We should not judge that here.

you are, once again, missing the point. defining what a database field means has exactly nothing to do with making up your own definition of what a "first release" is. a proper specification could just as well be "whatever is written in attitude counts". its just that "whatever the scene thinks" is not a proper definition at all. also pointing to someone elses list implies that you cant use the flag on csdb until someone elses list was published and actually can serve as a reference. If you really want to just document "what the scene says" then you cant add this info unless "the scene" actually said it.

There's no politically correct term for 'fucking idiot'.
2019-03-07 13:25
hedning

Quote: Quote:
As csdb should mirror the scene the element ”1st release” should be used for releases that is considered 1st releases by the scene. We should not judge that here.

you are, once again, missing the point. defining what a database field means has exactly nothing to do with making up your own definition of what a "first release" is. a proper specification could just as well be "whatever is written in attitude counts". its just that "whatever the scene thinks" is not a proper definition at all. also pointing to someone elses list implies that you cant use the flag on csdb until someone elses list was published and actually can serve as a reference. If you really want to just document "what the scene says" then you cant add this info unless "the scene" actually said it.

There's no politically correct term for 'fucking idiot'.

This is what I meant. CSDb should not judge what is a first release or not. The only definitions there are are the ones in the lists, and they can differ, and have differed always during the years. What I meant is that if we should mirror first releases as a tag in CSDb, we should have tags like "First release according to VN", "First release according to Sex'n Crime" etc etc. Detective job. As it is now all first releases gets tagged the same, and the info about who judges and according to what rules are lost. Not a good solution as it is. Is it better than not having it at all? That is the question: kill the tag completely, or expand it to be more accurate?
2019-03-07 13:40
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

Quoting E$G
A scener a group won't spend so much money for nothing, if the target is do a 1st.
Whenever there's money involved always make sure to do do some proper due diligence. Of course it's never fun seeing that a financial investment and all the hard work in creating this release seemed to be a for nothing. But, it's all part of the game. So, take if from Ariana Grande: "Thank you, NEXT!".
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
eryngi
Guests online: 156
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)