Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Copperhead ! (Registered 2024-05-08) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > The obskure 1st release world!
2019-03-06 19:43
E$G

The obskure 1st release world!

Dear sceners & overall 1st release site & mags editors,
few days ago we went for a 1st release proposing and old game that we improved as we usually like to do:
Zig Zag +2DG

Few hours later Hedning/GP u/l an old crack of the same game:
Zig Zag

concerning to the rulez this automatically set our release as not to be 1st one.

No matter, we enjoyed the fun in do it and the positive feedback that most of time receive. But our target was not reached.

So please I like to know:
- is it correct that if an old crack pop up after the release that until that time wasn't available in the usual dbase vaults clean his value? I'm talking about mainly csdb &gb64.

- what is the exact/correct time that an old release can be resurrected to kill a 1st release - I said this because in my 12k double side old snail mail trade floppies I remember to have some of the 1st releases of last 6 years cracked by old group/sceners, but due to my lack of time probably will be buried with me!

- if there are no rulez about this yet, to finalize the perfection of 1st release system it will be nice to make suggestion about it.

I remember to the kind readers that there are some collection that are not shared yet or will remain pri-vate as request by the suppliers. Many unreleased side belong to Mason, Hedning, the transfer team and so on.
I don't point my finger to them because I know that free time suck and after the transfer a lot more must be spent to u/l in a decent way to our csdb.

Last but not least it will be useful to have a list of the dir contents to avoid waste of time.

This is my humble opinion of course. It could also happen that after the adrenaline rush when a new game is released most of 1st release group prefere this kind of risk.
Anyway I have great expectations about more clear rulez.

ThanX

E$G/ Hokuto Force

... 37 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2019-03-07 15:24
E$G

@Mr.Ammo: For HF is never a waste of time, we provide to the scene the release, enjoying in doing it - enjoying the feedback. If the release it's a 1st and forever will be, even better.
I was talking about the investors of money and time just to climb the 1st release chart and only in this case if they won't reach their target can consider it fault. Probably all the adrenaline, bring a total exciment that if it happens it's enough for them. Different head and feelings.
---
Groepaz, is partecipating with interesting clues.
About 1st, it's a flag that we select, as I said before, because of external rules and way to face the release.
BBS bring the date and time of the u/l. Charts editors validate it.
Usually the release is u/l on the bbs and then here.
Even if csdb is just a db, we are all working for the most accurate info possible.
So for me the flag can remain and as (H) suggested we can be more accurate. Maybe in the summaries. The definition can be never cracked/handled before. I will talk about a creation of a time line with the monks of this rule.
About the list, can be considered just as a warning, like in
stock investment market. But if the release is not u/l can't affect 1st release value.
We have also in the db some releases that miss it, we just read it in a scroll that exist. But time and broken floppies could not to bring it back.
Not so many sceners are partecipating here, so I can consider 1st release a micro world in the micro world of the scene, or even worse they don't care so much, the value is just in the game.
2019-03-08 16:21
Dr.Strange

I know, as Bepp said, it sucks when spend time and money and then you find someone which released the crack before. That's why I spent years building a personal crack releases archive to make sure nothing has been around before. Takes time, but I guess a good supplier nowadays should be in charge of doing that and finding the right orries. At least or Propaganda we are quite clear about: a first is a first. If it has been released before, no matter the quality, it's not considered a first release.

Edit: And yes, contact hedning or myself re suggestions about the rules.
2019-03-08 18:59
Fix

What is a first release?

Let's say there are this unprotected game, and someone just entered their name with an hexeditor ingame and then spread it.

Is that then a first release?

Or a game that is tracked based, and as above someone just hexedited the disk and made a copy is that also a first release?

Or is it required some work the quality as an first release or crack in general.

Now I'm thinking of older games way back...
2019-03-08 19:42
chatGPZ

To me a "Firstrelease" is the firt release.

And thats exactly why its important to define what exactly this "Firstrelease" tag means :)

There's no politically correct term for 'fucking idiot'.
2019-03-08 21:31
bugjam

Well, the quarrels about who made a firstrelease probably date back to the ancient times of the cracking scene. Judging that for many old releases appears to be an impossible task, so the value of the tag can indeed be doubted.
With regards to money wasted, imagine how many original suppliers "wasted" their money when there were not a handful, but many dozens of groups in the cracking game - yet only one could claim the firstie fame.
For a new crack of an old game, the supplier can always console himself that he has acquired at least a very rare original for the collection. And for the cracker, that he has very probably released a version superior to the original firstrelease.
2019-03-09 13:46
TheRyk

Suggestion: Give up bothering (pain-in-the-)BB(as)S 1st release race for good and simply believe in calendars and clocks to find out what's first _IF_ you give a damn.

As it's simply beyond ridiculousness that sb could upload a release here on 32nd of Smarch 2019 and then be "officially"(!<-LOL) outrun by some BBS dickfencers who managed to upload it on X of Y "counting" boards on 33rd of Smarch 2019, excuse my language, it does not make sense to care a lot about them "charts". I like the idea of time travelling but before you show me your Delorian with Flux-Compensator in which your BBS is running, I'm not gonna be convinced.

Some people seem to think worldwide C64 crackers _must_ bend to rules, no matter how silly they are. Other people just crack and have fun. And some fun can even be seeing 1338 cr4xX0r2 going bananas if whatever you release violates some "rules" as if you have to ask permission at the United Nations Council of Cracking to label sth first release just because it's definetely available to gamers before other versions.

*GASP* Ranting done for this time, waiting for version #4711 of this discussion :)
2019-03-09 21:15
Jazzcat

TheRyk: Upload to the boards. This has existed before the internet became public and before many even chose their first handle. Follow it or don't.

http://www.atlantis-prophecy.org/recollection/?load=the_list
2019-03-09 21:20
hedning

TheRyk: Why even care about the C64 at all then? It's obsolete for the main part of humanity these days. We do this for the love of the C64: Demos, cracks and even the BBS scene. If it's a pain in the ass to use boards: learn, and you might find it fun. Because it is just as fun as doing other stuff for the c64. And think of all the hours spent on the boards by the sysops. Support the boards. They are an important part of the C64 scene.
2019-03-09 21:21
chatGPZ

Quote:
Upload to the boards.

<sandra bullock> OR ELSE!!!

There's no politically correct term for 'fucking idiot'.
2019-03-09 23:37
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

Quoting Jazzcat
TheRyk: Upload to the boards. This has existed before the internet became public and before many even chose their first handle. Follow it or don't.
Let's forget the ghosts of the past and focus on the future.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
spider-j
Twoflower/ΤRIΛD
Skate/Plush
csabanw
Apollyon/ALD
oziphantom