Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Defilus ! (Registered 2024-10-04) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Best C64 Demo Ever?
2008-10-29 19:03
Burglar

Best C64 Demo Ever?

Now that Edge of Disgrace is out, I thought everybody would agree that this is the best c64 demo ever released.

Though, judging from comments here (and on pouet), there seem to be a couple ppl disagreeing. Yet only few actually state their favorites.

So, if you don't think EoD is the best, which one is and why?
2008-10-29 19:09
Cruzer

Yeah, name one that's better. Can't be done.
2008-10-29 19:19
Wile Coyote
Account closed

Dutch Breeze, Edge of Disgrace, Krestology
Top 3 demos on C64

Compare all 3 demos to each other, and all 3 have their pluses and negatives. I couldn’t really rate one above the other, as all 3 have many strong points.

It could be argued that, Dutch Breeze has the edge on audio, Edge of Disgrace the edge on code, and Krestology the edge on graphics.

Based on these (well my ;) facts, the best demo ‘ever’ on C64 is still out there ;D
2008-10-29 19:37
Radiant

Different demos, different reactions. While Edge of Disgrace made me scream with joy during the compo, for example Hello:FRIEND hit me like a punch in the stomach. And I know it's no demo, but Larger than Life had an even more powerful impact, especially combined with Zyron's note. I almost started crying at the party.

That said, given the pure amount of effort put into Edge of Disgrace, I don't think anyone can find another demo that tops it. It's a 15 minute total effectfest made by no more than three persons, for crying out loud.
2008-10-29 19:38
Cruzer

@wile coyote: Only one of these is a demo, the others are just (very good) slideshows ;)

But you were actually the only one I think to mention other demos. Most of the unbelievers just say "this isn't the best" w/o saying which one they then think is best. Smells more like trollin' to me.
2008-10-29 19:44
Scout

I don't think EoD is my number one in the best C64 demo ever.

EoD will have a special place in my heart when I think back to X08.
It was the icing on the cake of such a successful party with an outstanding and thrilling demo competition.
As an organizer these are things you only dream of.
Well, this dream came true.

What would I choose as best C64 demo ever?
I really don't know. I have some favorites that each responds to a milestone in C64 scene history.
Some of those are HAL's Barbaric, Black Mail's So-Phisticated III, Dutch Breeze and Panoramic's Digital Delight.
Since last sunday EoD is added to that list.
Not only for the demo itself but also for the memories.
2008-10-29 19:51
Wile Coyote
Account closed

Quote: @wile coyote: Only one of these is a demo, the others are just (very good) slideshows ;)

But you were actually the only one I think to mention other demos. Most of the unbelievers just say "this isn't the best" w/o saying which one they then think is best. Smells more like trollin' to me.

Labeling Dutch Breeze, Krestology, slideshows is an insult.

For your information, I voted Edge of Disgrace 10/10
..hardly the vote of a troll ;P

If you read all the comments, Deekay wrote:
"The only thing i would not award this a 12 (only a 10! ;-) for is maybe the music, which was great, but still is not in the league of Dutch Breeze (seriously: what is? What ever will be? <:-)"

2008-10-29 19:52
Richard

Quote: Now that Edge of Disgrace is out, I thought everybody would agree that this is the best c64 demo ever released.

Though, judging from comments here (and on pouet), there seem to be a couple ppl disagreeing. Yet only few actually state their favorites.

So, if you don't think EoD is the best, which one is and why?

I agree with you. Edge of Disgrace is the *best* demo in the world, since Deus Ex Machina. This demo is my top no.1 favourite of all time.

Wonder if anyone will beat this? ;)
2008-10-29 20:03
Burglar

@radiant, I remember the first time seeing LTL, my stomach turned into a knot when I saw that first pic ;( rip kjell

anyway, back on topic, Dutch Breeze used to be my alltime favorite. and in terms of audio and concept, it still is. but as a whole EoD is definitely my all time favorite now, I'm a sucker for flow, perfect transitions and well designed coderpr0n.

I don't think EoD is unbeatable though, it just hasn't been done yet.
2008-10-29 20:11
VIC

For me it's hard to prioritize one great demo over another as they all possess different qualities, but this surely is The Shawshank Redemption of C64 demos.

That said, I myself find a lot of movies better that TSR, and that might be what others feel about this demo...

Hooray for diversity!

KTHXBYE
2008-10-29 21:45
CreaMD

I loved Wonderland 9 and 10. Great Musics by Danko. Some original C64 effects.. actually I loved a lot of later Censor Design stuff. I loved Comalight 12... perfect timed intro by PRI... Parts/ Oxyron.. I loved Panoramic stuff that Scout has mentioned. Weird ideas forces you to think about them. I loved Dawnfall. I loved Radio Napalm .. awesome hardcore soundtrack. I loved Insomnia. I loved Tower Power 92%. I loved Eiger/ Nipson. I the place in space. Antics demos.. was it Lunacy 6? or 7? Beyond Imagination I loved too.. I loved some of the Padua's torture demos too. I loved Visuality series by Virtual Reality (awesome trackmos)I loved a lot of demos and I more or less still remember them.. the demos made in all countries all around the world.. I remember some hungarian Faces demo I loved.. I remember that I loved few polish demos too.. even some cool NTSC demos and I especially remember some big NTSC demo made in the times of revival of NTSC scene (when driven64 was around) where Waveform was involved (he learned to code 64 in times when he already knew his lethal diagnose...)

...I loved to watch demos... and maybe I still do, I don't know... ;-)

... today it's a bit harder to amuse me but I'm sure I would be probably totally amazed if I was at the party.. I would have great memories.. if there was a video stream from the party place I'm sure I would be at least as stunned as party visitors.. (I experienced such thing when there was Breakpoint stream where C64 version of desert dream was released.. and then that Farbrrausch demolition demo ;-)... well. I think it's all about the mood and timing... you need to slow down for being able to enjoy things nowaday.. with all computers connected, our ability to appreciate things and being amused is being dumbed by the sheer volume of "entertainment" that is being streamed through the screen to our brains.. it's greeat there is still considerable quantity of demos being produces for the c64 scene even when it's native audience can be counted in hundreds .. thousand .. maximum.. and it's active core is maybe 100 people or so. But if we want to step further we need to make demos that can be digested by other scenes and mainstream.. we need to communicate outside the scene and not conserve ourselves in our small community... I think that reliable answer to the question about best c64 demo needs to be made either by non c64 audience (which is not very realisitic) or... we'll decide when we get older.. maybe 50-60.. then we will be more qualified to answer this question... maybe .. ;-)

We should use our great tricks and designing skills.. and musical dominance to make demos that shock non c64 people.. that's the thing which we can then celebrate and boast about.. beating our own demos in our own limited environment is a bit retrogressive...

... 27 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Brittle/Dentifrice^(?)
WVL/Xenon
Critikill (CK)/S16 ^..
grennouille
TheRyk/MYD!
Pararaum/T7D