Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > lemon 64
2003-01-14 13:35
fadiga
Account closed

lemon 64

hey guys - ive been checking out old c64 stuff on the net and i dont know if you realised there is another website called lemon 64 quite similar to this one. its miles better than this site, much more info on it and better discussions. you should try it out if you have never been there. its www.lemon64.com i cant imagine there are many people who actually use this once they have discovered lemon64

... 89 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2003-01-15 15:56
yago

fadiga schrieb:
thats a good post, and as im sure its quite obvious im not a coder or really into the demo scene. but i do have an open mind and all im saying is (unless you are actually making the demos) i cant imagine just sitting in a chair watching a screen is that entertaining - past about 10 minuted. with a game (a good one - there are plenty of sh*t ones) you become involved - ie you have control of something within the game. i view this like comparing an art gallery to an amusement arcade - both are fun, but one you are a passive viewer of pictures/art etc.. and the other you are actually taking part in something.

/me says:
Like said before, the scene considers demos to be art.
You can surely imagine Art, which you can only watch 10 minutes, or even 1.5 hours.
But there is also Art, which is meant to be viewed only a short while.
If you are not into complex demos, you might try some "4k"-releases (shameless plugin: endless trip/k2, nova/k2)

fadiga wrote further:
surely once you have seena demo a few times, thats it - its the same every time. with a game there is a random element and some SKILL involved. thats the difference. obviously it takes a great deal of skill to code either a game, or a demo. butafter its been made, a game still requires skill to play - a demo doesnt.

/me writes:
well some emulamers have lost the skill to watch demos.

But to be honest: Almost every demo coder wants to make a cool Game!

One last word about football:
Its nicer to watch football live in the stadium, thats why the scene holds demo-competitions,with some places with thousends of visitors.

2003-01-15 15:58
T.M.R
Account closed

No, he doesn't think that either if you read a little more closely. Most of us play games (and no, i'm not a particularly skilled games player, just very bloody minded) and we enjoy them for what they are too. But we also have what nearly amounts to a lifestyle choice (i've made a few of those in the past, they're easier to spot these days...) in the form of the scene.

The scene is about demos and their appreciation, it's also about games, either cracking the classics in jewel form or writing new ones, building the tools to work on all these projects, building the websites and web communities like this one to support what we're doing, idling on IRC, chatting on ICQ or other IM services, going to parties and getting paralytic with each other and mostly it's about communicating.

Yes, i know that sounds a little preachy, but it really is that intense for a lot of people.
2003-01-15 16:07
Mermaid

Fadiga: What strikes me as foolish is not that you want to play c64 games (for whatever reason) - or even that you prefer playing games to watching demos. I don't see anything wrong with the fact that you prefer games to demos.

However...What I personally find foolish and arrogant is:

-Trying to judge this site without any knowledge of what it is all about.

-Telling people that they should stop using the CSDB and move to Lemon64.

-Suggesting that people should use a PC instead of a C64

-Telling people that demos are about being passive and thus not as interesting as games

-Jumping to quick and erroneous conclusions based on assumptions

-Posting in a demo related forum if you have no interest in demos

Sorry, but maybe you shouldn't be so surprised that some people attack you, in light of what you wrote?
2003-01-15 16:08
TDJ

Fadiga: do you listen to a cd more then once?

If yes, why is it so hard to understand that we can view demos multiple times?

2003-01-15 16:11
T.M.R
Account closed

Quote: Fadiga: do you listen to a cd more then once?

Considering how many times i've watched Spaceballs or The Matrix that's a very valid point. Scarily valid... in fact, i'm not going to admit to how vali... oops!
2003-01-15 16:11
fade
Account closed

Oh yeah, that's a top one bro,. straight onto the mum, all you are showing me by that line is that 1.you can't argue for shit since you stoop to such a comment so quickly and 2. your in geek denial, you probably only leave your house to get the mail.

Why not just stop now and look around, all the games with those things that allowed you to get umlimited lives and shit.. well those were created by "sceners" (try saying it.. "see-ners"). Deprotection, reducing file size etc etc all take a great deal of intelligence and skill, same as with demos, only different.

either way, your a fucking stooge, shut the fuck up like a good little lamer and maybe try to understand something a little bigger than ga(y)mes
2003-01-15 16:32
CyberBrain
Administrator

I want to kill a lame myth going around in here, about that you can only like demos if you are making demos yourself!

When i was like 10-11 years old, games began being pretty boring. I noticed those fucking cool crack-intros before the games, and began loading games just to check those cool intros. I liked the gfx, mzx (which sounded much cooler than the "real" music of that time), and the often the text.

When i got my first demos i got "WOOOOW!!". It was nothing really special, but i must have watched them like 30-50 times (no shit!)

I got the idea that i wanted to code AFTER having watched those cool demos, NOT the other way around!!!!!!

P.S. To fatiga: those cool intros i'm talking about, was not made by those who made the games. They were made by the sceners who had cracked the game. (just to avoid misunderstanding)
2003-01-15 16:38
fadiga
Account closed

Quote: Fadiga: do you listen to a cd more then once?

good point - but you can do other things at the same time as listening to one cant you? with a demo you are looking at a screen (most times) there is not much else you can do during that is there?

its more comparable to watching mtv rather than actually playing a musical instrument
2003-01-15 16:46
T.M.R
Account closed

It's better compared to watching a movie repeatedly than anything else; i've seen Spaceballs or the Wizard of Speed and Time about 20 times each but i'll still watch it from time to time, same with Deus Ex Machina or Insomnia v1.1 to pick a few at random.
2003-01-15 16:46
fadiga
Account closed

Quote: Oh yeah, that's a top one bro,. straight onto the mum, all you are showing me by that line is that 1.you can't argue for shit since you stoop to such a comment so quickly and 2. your in geek denial, you probably only leave your house to get the mail.

Why not just stop now and look around, all the games with those things that allowed you to get umlimited lives and shit.. well those were created by "sceners" (try saying it.. "see-ners"). Deprotection, reducing file size etc etc all take a great deal of intelligence and skill, same as with demos, only different.

either way, your a fucking stooge, shut the fuck up like a good little lamer and maybe try to understand something a little bigger than ga(y)mes

class - good one. i like your last paragraph particularly - remember what i was saying before about writing in english? if you are not american, then you are doing a good impersonation.

As far as leaving the house to get the mail - ive got a letterbox - people put things through it, so i dont need to leave really, but thanks for the concern all the same.

I think I'm going to cut and keep that last paragraph of yours, it great!

Its been an interesting discussion anyway - the most interesting thing is that everyone else who has replied to my original post has done so in a succinct, intelligent and to the point way, (not to mention 'understandable') so I guess you can be proud that you are a bit different in that sense.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Alakran_64
Jetboy/Elysium
Doc Snyder/ONS
Nuckhead/Backbone So..
MaD ][/Starship
DeMOSic/HF^MS^BCC^LSD