Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > lemon 64
2003-01-14 13:35
fadiga
Account closed

lemon 64

hey guys - ive been checking out old c64 stuff on the net and i dont know if you realised there is another website called lemon 64 quite similar to this one. its miles better than this site, much more info on it and better discussions. you should try it out if you have never been there. its www.lemon64.com i cant imagine there are many people who actually use this once they have discovered lemon64

... 89 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2003-01-15 16:49
fadiga
Account closed

Quote: It's better compared to watching a movie repeatedly than anything else; i've seen Spaceballs or the Wizard of Speed and Time about 20 times each but i'll still watch it from time to time, same with Deus Ex Machina or Insomnia v1.1 to pick a few at random.

thats a good point - i think everyone watches a favourite film over and over. But that is passive viewing - you are not actually involved really are you?
2003-01-15 16:54
CyberBrain
Administrator

Quote: good point - but you can do other things at the same time as listening to one cant you? with a demo you are looking at a screen (most times) there is not much else you can do during that is there?

its more comparable to watching mtv rather than actually playing a musical instrument

And noone watches MTV, or what are you saying? Well, many videos on MTV are crap, but when you watch some that you like you don't just sit and watch. Things are going through your mind, feelings pops up, you get to think about stuff (what ever they might be)

The same goes for every other piece of art. It could be a painting, a piece of music or a demo.

Thousands of people worldwide loves watching paintings (i must admight mostly i don't myself), and can look at them for hours. They don't just look at them because they just want to look at something, but because the paintings starts certain feelings and thoughts.

Mathematical/Computer art is no different. I really don't understand why you can't relate to that. Is there no kind of art that you think is cool?

You really don't have to be a painter to be able to enjoy a painting (get feelings etc), and you don't need to be a coder/musican/graphican to be able to enjoy a good demo, and enjoy it many times.
2003-01-15 16:56
T.M.R
Account closed

Quote: thats a good point - i think everyone watches a favourite film over and over. But that is passive viewing - you are not actually involved really are you?

No, but at that level i don't want to be - it's an experience in the same way that a film or music video can be. But at the same time, i'm mentally picking the code apart whilst i watch although i know not everyone does that.
2003-01-15 16:59
fadiga
Account closed

Quote: And noone watches MTV, or what are you saying? Well, many videos on MTV are crap, but when you watch some that you like you don't just sit and watch. Things are going through your mind, feelings pops up, you get to think about stuff (what ever they might be)

The same goes for every other piece of art. It could be a painting, a piece of music or a demo.

Thousands of people worldwide loves watching paintings (i must admight mostly i don't myself), and can look at them for hours. They don't just look at them because they just want to look at something, but because the paintings starts certain feelings and thoughts.

Mathematical/Computer art is no different. I really don't understand why you can't relate to that. Is there no kind of art that you think is cool?

You really don't have to be a painter to be able to enjoy a painting (get feelings etc), and you don't need to be a coder/musican/graphican to be able to enjoy a good demo, and enjoy it many times.

of course i can relate to it - it seems that some people on this site view games playing as some second class type of activity, and because i dont code or view demos i must be mad!!
2003-01-15 17:02
CreaMD

Quote: ...but surely watching a football match is great ONCE - but if you watch the same one again its a bit boring/predictable. im not talking about 'an outlook on life' or anything philosophical as CreaMD is suggesting, all i am doing is tlkaing about c64 usage in general. I think to say that playing a game does not take any skill is a bit unrealistic - the fact that you are able to get a Dreamcast and be very good at it straight away probably shows that you have a lot of game playing skill yourself, not that the game is too easy. Undoubtedly it is a great skill to be able to program any system, but i dont think you should look down your nose on people who enjoy playing games as a recreation. CreaMD thinks my opinions are foolish and should wake up - do you really think the idea of some recreational game playing/nostalgic game playing is strange?

No my point of view describes lifestyle and life values.

I never (!) said playing games is strange. I said that playing games is ucomparable to making demos as making demos is creativity and playing games is consumerism.

That is not philosophy that is most pragmatic definition you can ever get.

Your posts clearly show that you are misunderstanding the concepts even when we they are explained from all possible angles and in plain english. And also, maybe you should learn to react properly and avoid posting your naive babbling here.
2003-01-15 17:18
CreaMD

Quote: of course i can relate to it - it seems that some people on this site view games playing as some second class type of activity, and because i dont code or view demos i must be mad!!

Ah finally you showed what is your problem.

So here is the answer. In my arrogant opinion: Playing games is not second class. It's a real fun and especially when you play with your friends. I like playing games too. However you are Don Quixotes who think how cool it is to fight in the discussions like this to prove that gamers are also people.

You are fighting with windmills in your head!!! Of course gamers are people! And many of them are great people. And we know that. Gaming is cool. Games are great! Some even better. Yeah! But when all this flaming debate ends you will still stay pathetic idiot trying to solve his inferiority complex on the wrong place.
2003-01-15 17:25
fadiga
Account closed

Quote: Ah finally you showed what is your problem.

So here is the answer. In my arrogant opinion: Playing games is not second class. It's a real fun and especially when you play with your friends. I like playing games too. However you are Don Quixotes who think how cool it is to fight in the discussions like this to prove that gamers are also people.

You are fighting with windmills in your head!!! Of course gamers are people! And many of them are great people. And we know that. Gaming is cool. Games are great! Some even better. Yeah! But when all this flaming debate ends you will still stay pathetic idiot trying to solve his inferiority complex on the wrong place.

thats right - ive got a real inferiority complex??!!

That is not philosophy that is most pragmatic definition you can ever get. - and you think i'm arrogant!!

2003-01-15 17:28
Mermaid

Fadiga: Umm, did you read my previous post? Just curious.
2003-01-15 17:36
CyberBrain
Administrator

Sure gaming is second class compared to actually being creative (=making a demo (or even a game)). No doubt about that, except if you're brainless.

But i guess playing a game is not second class compared to 'just' watching a demo (except that the second is cool, and the first is not - but that's just my oppinion)

However (like i said in my previous post) be sure to remember that watching a demo isn't just waste of time, as you thought when you first posted.
2003-01-15 17:37
CreaMD

Quote: thats right - ive got a real inferiority complex??!!

That is not philosophy that is most pragmatic definition you can ever get. - and you think i'm arrogant!!

;-)))))))))))))

You you've got an inferiority complex and probably combined with lack of sense self-preservation.

And yeah I can't help myself but you are misinterpreting my own words so I tried to restate them so you could understand better, it seems you did. Thank you.

And no I don't think YOU are arrogant. Read again *sigh* I started my sentence with that "in my arrogant opinion" because someone might consider that opinion arrogant *sigh*

Ich habe fertig..

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Oxbow/Xenon
Jammer
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Guests online: 119
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)